Lawn Care

treetree

Well now seems as good a time as I'm likely to get to sort the lawn out. I've got a fair amount of moss, weed, thatch and a fair amount of weakly looking yellow grass. Grassy area is around 10m x 6m

The ground seems compacted.

Could anyone please advise on the following

* Best family friendly moss / weed killer (bearing in mind I'll only be able to keep the dog and kids off for a while)

* best method to aerate, fork (which I have) or hollow pronged thing.

* best method of overseeding general patchy, thin areas.

Many thanks for any help

4 minutes ago, treetree said:

Well now seems as good a time as I'm likely to get to sort the lawn out. I've got a fair amount of moss, weed, thatch and a fair amount of weakly looking yellow grass. Grassy area is around 10m x 6m

The ground seems compacted.

Could anyone please advise on the following

* Best family friendly moss / weed killer (bearing in mind I'll only be able to keep the dog and kids off for a while)

* best method to aerate, fork (which I have) or hollow pronged thing.

* best method of overseeding general patchy, thin areas.

Many thanks for any help

Not much help I am afraid. I often asked the same questions and spent a fortune on diy solutions which had no impact. Now I pay a company to come in every quarter to do the treatments. When they did the aeration they used a powered device that took out a small ‘core’.  

There has been a noticeable improvement. 

I can recommend one of these, removes the thatch and moss Wolf thatch and moss removal rake .   Using one is pretty physical - aiming for a cross-hatch effect. 1st pass and then again at 90 degrees on the same patch of lawn.   You'll remove all the dead grass and moss leaving just the good healthy grass behind, weed n feed whats left.  

1 hour ago, mr smith said:

Just to jump on this I'm looking for a moss killer only as it's for on the astroturf out the front of the house,about the only thing that grows there is the bloody moss.

Ferrous sulphate otherwise known as lawn sand.

15 hours ago, AVB said:

Liquid Ferrous sulphate has a better impact imo. Both will turn the moss black but it does then need to be removed by scarifying. 

If your contractors are scarifying after moss treatment they are ensuring that the problem never goes away and that you will keep paying them.

Dead moss always contains some live spores. By raking moss after treatment those spores can be spread onto previously unaffected areas of lawn. Scarifying has the same effect.

Just to correct you JDOG - scarifying can be undertaken from mid April onwards, but as we have a week of decent weather I will be mowing mine Monday then scarifying Thurs/Fri - no moss treatment needed as the tines rip it out of the ground - I leave it in a pile at the end of the garden and it soon disappears. 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Just to correct you JDOG - scarifying can be undertaken from mid April onwards, but as we have a week of decent weather I will be mowing mine Monday then scarifying Thurs/Fri - no moss treatment needed as the tines rip it out of the ground - I leave it in a pile at the end of the garden and it soon disappears. 

Just be careful of hot weather this time of year if you do that, autumn is preferable.