Re heat

Walker570

Read an article from some over educated paper hat today where some of the things which you should not re heat include coffee and POTATO.  How in heavens name I managed to survive almost eighty years eating bubble and squeak ????????????  ...almost once a week.  Back in the war years and 50s we didn't wast food. Sundays lunch would be made into a super dooper soup or bubble and squeak, in particular if the potato and chopped greens whatever was left over had that lovely crisp brown layer underneath when you turned it in the frying pan.  Today nothing goes to waste in our house if we can make it into something else.

Edited by Walker570

hello, i sometimes reheat my coffee in the microwave, i not had bubble and squeak for years, do not forget we had ration books up to 1954, i was 4 😄, family of 5 most as dad was on ship, mum had to make do and mend like most we knew.

7 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Better not tell my wife. Spent yesterday making a washing up bowl of leek and tattie soup all for the freezer to get the leeks used before they bolted.😁

hello, never seen a bolting leek, 😄

26 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Read an article from some over educated paper hat today where some of the things which you should not re heat include coffee and POTATO.  How in heavens name I managed to survive almost eighty years eating bubble and squeak ????????????  ...almost once a week.  Back in the war years and 50s we didn't wast food. Sundays lunch would be made into a super dooper soup or bubble and squeak, in particular if the potato and chopped greens whatever was left over had that lovely crisp brown layer underneath when you turned it in the frying pan.  Today nothing goes to waste in our house if we can make it into something else.

Still happens in our house too we have survived 83 years. Decent size chicken lasts till Wed and I have a passion for fried mash.

19 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i sometimes reheat my coffee in the microwave, i not had bubble and squeak for years, do not forget we had ration books up to 1954, i was 4 😄, family of 5 most as dad was on ship, mum had to make do and mend like most we knew.

Bolting leeks not so agile as rabbit.

40 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Better not tell my wife. Spent yesterday making a washing up bowl of leek and tattie soup all for the freezer to get the leeks used before they bolted.😁

luuuuuve leek and tatty soup...........also cheese and potatoe pie ...and thick thick thick pea soup made with a ham bone and eaten with scones..........

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Like a bolting rabbit but green and more upright

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Then you have obviously never grown them..... bolting is when they throw up a flower head which will then turn into a seed head.

We also have bubble squeak most Mondays using up what wasn't dished up for Sunday lunch. Wife also makes enough stew to last two evening meals, second one seems just as good if not slightly better.

I've heard of people leaving some for day 3 but wifey won't go with that.

If things keep going the way they are, a lot of people will be eating very different things than they have before. 

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Still happens in our house too we have survived 83 years. Decent size chicken lasts till Wed and I have a passion for fried mash.

I might make a chicken last till Tuesday,  but none ever gets thrown out.

24 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Then you have obviously never grown them..... bolting is when they throw up a flower head which will then turn into a seed head.

hello, no am not a gardener, i do put in my slow cooker but buy from shop, cheers

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Like a bolting rabbit but green and more upright

🤢 bit like me

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, JDog said:

Yes look it up. He corrected a school boy by adding an ‘e’ at the end of the boy’s spelling of potato.

i spelt potato wrong............ater all these years i was sure that it had an "e".................im sure you must be right...and i do know someone called Quayle...i used to "go around " and "see" his wife when he was at work ...maybe thats where i picked up an extra "E"

every day a skool day...:good:

On 23/03/2020 at 15:37, Walker570 said:

Also including Spinach and Beetroot, reheating those can give you cancer. Cooking oil? for some stupid reason. Eggs, Potatoes can only be reheated in a pan, microwaving them can cause the growth of Botulism which will have you on the morticians slab in no time. And rice because its chocablock with bacteria.

On that then I should have died about fifty maybe a hundred...no...maybe 500 times or many more times,  in the last 80yrs.:lol:

Now, there is re heat...just warm it up and reheat as with bubble and squeak where it stays in the frying pan with the beef dripping till nice and crispy brown on both sides...oh no, there we go again that could give me a heart attack. 

38 minutes ago, fatchap said:

My old mum god bless her used to have beef dripping on toast .........

Food of the gods, with a little of the beef jelly. 

We used to be able to buy a slice of bread and dripping from the school kitchen for 1d. (Less than 0.5p, for the millennials amongst you)