Barley again

dad

left 9.30 this morning which is quite early for me but i had alot to look at, the 1st farm had 2 shooters on it saturday so didnt expect much there even with 5 fields drilled mid week with barley it should be ok by the end of the week, the next 2 farm's hadn't been worked on yet the 4th looked promising with about 400 down and crows and another 200 in the trees i have shot this field before and it usually pays off if there are plenty in the trees so i quickly built a hide  under a willow tree about halfway down with wind of my back,not ideal the birds tend to fly along the tree line here look at the deeks and carry on and the willow gave to much head cover to shoot them it was an easterly wind it shoots better on a westerly when you can get on the other side of this narrow field and draw them away from the tree line but would mean wind in face. I put two moonwalkers out 1 each end of field. And settled in. A poor start 2 for 7 shots but i soon settled down and brought some good birds down loads were flying over head along the tree line that i couldnt get a shot at the tree line had a brook running the length of it through the middle with from 2 to 5 inches of water and i kept dropping birds in it or very near and if not dead they usually manged to get in and flap swim to far side i only had leather boots on and it was very steep sided, with a lot of effort and some long sticks i never lost any. By 4pm i had run out of my eley pigeon select carts 30grm 6s and had to use some backup black gold 5s and must say the killing power was noticeably much better. Packed up at 4.30 with 76 picked and 2 crows.

20200323_170043_compress78.jpg