Head shots & Rabbits

NoMercy

Hi yall,

I go out hunting quite allot, but every now and then when the rabbit has been hit in the head or above the neck area with my .22 bsa lightning it jus goes nuts and runs everywhere.

This is quite disturbing as it knocks my confidence as a shooter and a clean killer.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong would be great :rolleyes:

Cheers!!

Guest Mr Pieman

NoMercy, I presume the bunny eventually dies? Believe it or not you aren't doing anything wrong. if the pellet enters the brain the shock causes virtually instant death but the rabbit has a type of traumatic fit. it can be quite unsettling for the shooter but it is 'what they do' :D .

i shoot lots of bunnies with a .22rf and the same thing sometimes happens :rolleyes:

If you can shoot at a 2p piece sized target, over the distance you usually take your shots, and keep your pellets within it, don't stress. :blink:

PP

I'm going to add here, that last summer I was shooting rabbits with my theoben sirocco (.22), I did target practise before and after at 30 yards (all my shots were within that). First I shot a small rabbit, 3/4 grown maybe, 18 yards or so, huge smack and it falls down on side and then starts kicking hind legs (running in circle on ground?) Placed foot on bunny and fired another pellet into the brainbox (first shot was already just behind the eye like you say, this one I fired a little higher, rabbit doesn't stop? with piece of wood smacked back of the neck and it stopped. Disappointed, but put it down to nerves which I think from what you say it was, sounds like I rather overkilled it :rolleyes:

Next time 25 yards huge **** of a rabbit in field, I lined up took the shot from steady position, huge smack once again said rabbit falls on side, picks himself up and legs it for the bushes, looking very shaky in his running :blink: not happy at all with that.. put it down to one of those things...

Next 15 yards regular rabbit, lined up took shot smack once again, really audible at this range through scope didn't see it all but it flew up in air and then fell back (i assumed dead? but cudn't see the body through scope) went to pick it up, and it was not there??

Put that down to maybe misjudging the yardage but was pretty sure... tried some more targets at various ranges - all shooting fine...

I was informed that 12ft/lbs often does this? Is this the case? Certainly I know the pellets are going in the right place, as I have proved by taking out over a dozen woodies with head shots at varying yardages and only 2 misses.

The only thing I can think is perhaps my gun is below 12ft/lbs but the guy I bought it from (respectable bloke from AGBBS) assured me it was shooting sweetly just under the limit and that he had it all checked through.... Obviously I need to run it through a chrono when I get the time, but is there anything other than power loss which could be causing this, as from what the seller said it was perfect...

P.s. sorry for the ****** long post!

P.p.s pellets = H&N FTT

Teal, I generally use a 12ftlb Hornet or Logun Axor with Bisley Pest control or Accupel and I generally dont have a problem killing cleanly at about 30m.

I think you have to take a bit tongue in cheek the Hunting reports of people like Terry Le Chem.. in Air Gunner magazine when they "hit at 30 m. rabbit jumps once and falls stone dead, another .22 accy has found its mark"

I normally would expect to kill a bunny with a head shot at 30m but I am sad to admit that I have had to finish the job off on more than one occasion with a blow to the bonce.

I wouldnt normally recomend H&N FTT pellets for hunting try the .22 accupel.

FM

Guest Mr Pieman

Stone dead? MAG, did you know that even if you remove a mammal's head entirely it takes a while for the body to become 'life extinct'. If everyhing that never moved was dead, most of us married folk must be sleeping with corpses :rolleyes: :blink: :D :( :P;)

PP

FM, almost a replica of airgunner but it should have been this;

I was out hunting!! Hit at 30 m rabbit jumps once (!!) and falls stone dead, another .22 accy has found its mark!!!!!

Fair enough I'll try some different pellets and keep you posted on my progress..

dam rabbits, i have figured that hittin them in the head kills em but it sure dont stop em movin.

To be sure you are rewarded with a nice big rabbit never shoot it close to any holes cause it will just pop on down there and never come back :rolleyes:

P.S. wat do u guys think of the acupell .22 pellets?

with pellets though its a case of try different brands till you find the one that suits your rifle. if you dont want to buy different brands of pelletts because of the cost look up pellpax they do 10 pellets of each major brand on a cardboard backing for about 15 quid (i think) they do them in .177 & .22 saves having to fork out tonnes of cash. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I have found this two whilst using my air arms s200, You will find if you come back with a good dog as soon a possible you will find many of the rabbits have hit if not droped on the spot will be a few meters from were there shot. The dog will soon find them dead, if you come back as soon as possible or leave the dog in the car, whislt shooting, providing the rabbit is not to close to its home(If if does reach it burrow it will expire under ground) then you should find it and save it from being fox meat if not then it must have made it underground.

P.S I found if at close range use a holow point pellet or a flat one there not as accurate but if you hit any were behind or near the eye it shoud roll over and at the most kick but it will stay were he is as the pellet goes into the brain and does not come out delevering all its energy delevering a massave shock (Of course things are never certain with all live quarry you can shoot a pigeon with a shotgun only to watch it carry on flying then drop stone dead a few yards were you hit him in the air) I think teal is right about overkill I have experienced this before, But dont worrie if you hit a rabbit in the head it wont last long you can be sure of that.

Another possibalty is that the rabbit has seen you before the pellet strikes if this happens its body is pumped full of adrenaline ready to make a run for it. And even if its dead, its body will still move even enough to kick its self out of sight. I have neaver heard of anybody say this about rabbits but if it can happen to deer then im sure the same applies. :lol:

P.S I found if at close range use a holow point pellet or a flat one there not as accurate but if you hit any were behind or near the eye it shoud roll over and at the most kick but it will stay were he is as the pellet goes into the brain and does not come out delevering all its energy delevering a massave shock (Of course things are never certain with all live quarry you can shoot a pigeon with a shotgun only to watch it carry on flying then drop stone dead a few yards were you hit him in the air)  I think teal is right about overkill I have experienced this before, But dont worrie if you hit a rabbit in the head it wont last long you can be sure of that.

:lol:

Hi,

Forget all about this theory "dumping of energy" into a quarry. It is pure nonsence - nothing to do with reality !

What kills a quarry is how much tissue, veins and vessels you rip over. You can easy do all this even if the pellet goes straight through your quarry. So a big hole in the theory of dumping energy already. You can´t simply not use this theory for anything !

Overpenetration to me means, that a pellet goes straight through your quarry and don´t kill the quarry straight away. So you have to do as much damage as possible inside a quarry to get a clean and fast kill. You better stay away from pointed pellets and turn to either domes or best flatheads/hollowpoints if you have enough power for making these pellets to expand and the pellets do also need to be accurate in your gun.

Hydrostatic and hydraulic shock effect is also pure nonsence regarding small-bore airguns. Hydrostatic = pure nonsence all way through. Hydraulic shock do only happend with centrefire rifles - if even this is true ?

One good point. You should look at this energy level the pellet has at a quarry - only is for penetrating the quarry and for making the pellet to expand. Nothing else. The energy level and the pellet does not kill your quarry - it is how much damage you make that counts.

Cheers - Bolta