Game Shooting This Season Is Looking Very Bleak.

marsh man

I rang a good friend of mine last night who ran a very nice little shoot near Norwich for the last 20 years or so , I didn't know at the time when they had there beaters shoot that the three cock birds I got standing in one of the woods with three shoots ( which was a one off ) was possibly the last ones I will shoot on that shoot as he have suspended all shooting for this coming season due to the problems with the virus , he was also telling me that four big commercial shoots in this area have already closed them down for this coming season and there could be many, many more .

If this is the case up and down the country this will cause all sorts of problems with the game farms , game dealers and the people who rely and take parts in game shoots.

If you run a shoot , what are your plans for this season ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, marsh man said:

If you run a shoot , what are your plans for this season

While we have placed an order for our 2k poults, there was a clause in the game farmers acknowledgement to the effect that the supply was subject to the availability of eggs. While he uses caught up birds, I am told he makes up the balance he needs for his orders by importing from the continent. If they dont produce or cannot ship from europe due to the clamp down on movement, we may not get what we asked for. If this is the case and we cant source elsewhere we will just reduce the subs and continue with the birds left from last year. We have 3 distinct areas and shoot every Saturday, so if we have a shortage we will probably look at reducing the number of days and shoot once a fortnight. We dont do big bags or sell any days, so its a case of making the best of a bad job for this coming season.

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Yes that was the one I was thinking about , I believe your good friend ( B F ) who live out that was do the picking up 

BF....is a nasty piece of work...does not treat his dogs right......i laughed my breasts off when he discharged a dummy launcher into his face....made a mess of him i was told..:lol:.................i stopped going there about 10 years ago.......BF wasnt wanted on the Strumpshaw shoot so he worked his way into Roberts shoot.....

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Same here. Intention is to go ahead as normal as possible. Fingers and everyhting else crossed.

Lets hope it is back to normal , or at least heading towards some normality time the season come round , at the moment the virus problem is likely to get worse before it get better and the preparation for the first full day Partridge or Pheasant shooting would be getting started in the next month or two , so decisions would have to be made soon about carrying on , or suspending it .

GOOD LUCK whatever happens and stay safe. 

40+ days put on hold for the time being various reasons. But put them all together and it comes together as uncertainty.

I've hung on to my 5 best days as they have offered full unconditional refund (in writing) if their or my circumstances change. Still reluctant to hand over the 50% deposit before the end of the month.

6 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

40+ days put on hold for the time being various reasons. But put them all together and it comes together as uncertainty.

I've hung on to my 5 best days as they have offered full unconditional refund (in writing) if their or my circumstances change. Still reluctant to hand over the 50% deposit before the end of the month.

That is the thing with financial uncertainties either now or the months ahead , nobody really know when this serious situation we are in is going to finish and what little money might still be in peoples pocket will it warrant being spent on game shooting , if game shooting is still taking place that is .

We have 2800 poults on order and as always trying to keep existing birds as well fed as possible however this has been difficult as the virus has developed.

if legally possible we will carry on as normal or atleast be our enjoying the countryside. 

Our syndicate ordered our birds some time ago.  We have ex-layers from a local game farm so they're there already.  Whether we get all we wanted, or at the price we wanted, who knows?

This game farm rears from a closed flock so theoretically there should be no change in the availability of birds, as long as their staffing and supply line are unaffected.  Lots of ifs and buts.  We will need to have a concrete answer from the game farm and also know whether we can legally be out doing the keeping duties come late June, before we decide to press on.

My gut feeling is syndicates like ours can be reasonably assured of at least some sort of shooting this coming season.  We just need to cover the rent really to survive, even if we have only wild bird days.  I fear for a lot of commercial operators but, then again, maybe this whole thing will re-shape game shooting perhaps for the better?  There's been a lot of greed crept in to the sport over the last few decades when it comes to selling shooting.

Watch out for syndicates selling pegs this season at stupidly high prices for rather low expected bag numbers...

We spoke to our supplier yesterday and he is confident that we will get our birds. There is a possibility we may have to put down a minimal deposit per bird but that won’t be an issue.

He says syndicates seem to be weathering the oncoming storm well however larger estates that rely on foreign guests coming over to shoot seem to be struggling and several working on a reduced scale or not at all.

Perhaps everyone realising that you can enjoy a day out shooting with a modest bag just as much as a large thing is just what we need! 

Edited by Nmb

Just had the little syndicate I am in at East Carleton near Norwich saying they are going to postpone this season.

Followed by call from a friend doing a roving syndicate like last year but say day booked will be payment in full up front with no refunds being offered by the shoots, decisions decisions