Game Shooting This Season Is Looking Very Bleak.

marsh man

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/03/2020 at 17:22, Nmb said:

We have 2800 poults on order and as always trying to keep existing birds as well fed as possible however this has been difficult as the virus has developed.

if legally possible we will carry on as normal or atleast be our enjoying the countryside. 

Brilliant nice to hear someone being positive.

1 hour ago, archi said:

Just had the little syndicate I am in at East Carleton near Norwich saying they are going to postpone this season.

Followed by call from a friend doing a roving syndicate like last year but say day booked will be payment in full up front with no refunds being offered by the shoots, decisions decisions 

Pretty easy decision I would say

6 minutes ago, button said:

I think it would be very brave of somebody paying in full and not knowing if the day booked would ever materialise , we are still a long way off of seeing any light in the end of the tunnel with this crisis , looking at the French who have just extended there lock down by two more weeks and we are just behind them will tell you we are in for a long ole haul .

46 minutes ago, button said:

Yes it will be a thanks for the offer but will keep my cash in the bank

21 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I think it would be very brave of somebody paying in full and not knowing if the day booked would ever materialise , we are still a long way off of seeing any light in the end of the tunnel with this crisis , looking at the French who have just extended there lock down by two more weeks and we are just behind them will tell you we are in for a long ole haul .

Yes my sister who works in the N&N said we are 3 weeks of peaking and it could last for 3 months so am keeping my money safe

1 hour ago, archi said:

Yes my sister who works in the N&N said we are 3 weeks of peaking and it could last for 3 months so am keeping my money safe

Good man ..... there could well be some small days if things started to get back to normal on shoots that were putting a few birds down that had left it to late to book any any bigger days .

I also think the amount of money left in peoples pocket is going to play a major part when we start picking up the pieces , it's going to be a case of wait and see .

11 hours ago, archi said:

Exactley That's what I would say  , pretty easy decision, keep the cash at the moment, I would not be paying in full with no refund/offer should it no go ahead 

Cant imagine many will book on that basis, even if they offer alternative dates the following season there is no guarantee they will still be operating then!

Edited by button

Your domned if you do and damned if you don't.  If we decide not to support next season then it may see some shoots and game keeprs losing their jobs/busineses and as said if we do pay a deposit in good faith and the shoot defaults then we lose.  I have decided to support the future and sent of my deposit and the shoot has said that some form of shooting on those days will go ahead..... unless of course we are all still in lockdown and if some idiots don't abide by the present one then we very likely will be.

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Your domned if you do and damned if you don't.  If we decide not to support next season then it may see some shoots and game keeprs losing their jobs/busineses and as said if we do pay a deposit in good faith and the shoot defaults then we lose.  I have decided to support the future and sent of my deposit and the shoot has said that some form of shooting on those days will go ahead..... unless of course we are all still in lockdown and if some idiots don't abide by the present one then we very likely will be.

I think in all honesty we just don't know when this crisis will calm down and some restrictions are lifted , as time wear on some decisions will have to be made , do we or don't we , each day let alone each month we hear horror stories like the lock down alone is going to last longer than first thought , some women on the news tonight was saying this lock down could go on for three months , this would mean keepers would be restricted from going around the shoot in there transport , then the guys who deliver the game chicks could be restricted with delivery and so on , it will all be down to , what is essential ?

In our county it seem like follow the leader with some of the bigger shoots calling it a day and the smaller ones are following suit , this might be the reverse in other counties but there will have to be some harsh decisions made before to long .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I think in all honesty we just don't know when this crisis will calm down and some restrictions are lifted , as time wear on some decisions will have to be made , do we or don't we , each day let alone each month we hear horror stories like the lock down alone is going to last longer than first thought , some women on the news tonight was saying this lock down could go on for three months , this would mean keepers would be restricted from going around the shoot in there transport , then the guys who deliver the game chicks could be restricted with delivery and so on , it will all be down to , what is essential ?

In our county it seem like follow the leader with some of the bigger shoots calling it a day and the smaller ones are following suit , this might be the reverse in other counties but there will have to be some harsh decisions made before to long .

In a nutshell. 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

BBC News, stating the chief medical officer is saying this situation and the restrictions could go on for around 6 months, not 3 😞 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

BBC News, stating the chief medical officer is saying this situation and the restrictions could go on for around 6 months, not 3 😞 

No doubt the timing will change again before long , or increase the restrictions , one thing for sure , this isn't going to get any better overnight , 

P S .... My wife said she had never seen me at home as much this last four days as she had in the last 40 years , and that include taking the dog out twice a day :lol:

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

BBC news totally edited that to make it worse than what they actually said, at the end someone asked about 6 months and she said I did not say 6 months I said whether it’s controlled in 3 weeks 3 months or 6 months. 

I also believe we have to give it six months at least, to get anywhere back to normality.  It has however brought the best and worst out in people. In our small village, residents telephone each other or knock on windows to check everyhting is OK and help collect food if required.  However there are also those who have no care for anyone elses security BUT in our village they are in the minority.  One week and even though I am retired and have 12 1/2 acres to wander around it is very frustrating. One of my farmers texted today to say she had lost all her chickens to a fox which obviously had cubs because it took them all away overnight. I cannot help.  However, we must stick with it and keep our distance and keep safe.  One thing is for sure, I am going to have the tidiest workshop, garden and orchard in the County by the time it is over.  At least I was able to order my vegetable seeds this week, so they can go in.  The storms brought down three large willows, so they can be cut up, split and stored and the wood store extension planned for this winter can go ahead early.

Be careful, take care and be safe .

Looks as though there will be a lot of smaller days on offer, not a bad thing I reckon, I've seen 30-50 bird days being advertised for teams of 6.

Another problem is that  lots of the guns are in the older age category, they would be fine on the peg (distancing), but gun bus and hospitality will be a problem.

54 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Just been notified of my first cancelled day in Yorkshire :sad1:

Sadly the longer this goes on the more you will hear about days being cancelled .

Talking to a keeper, he was saying a chap who run a game farm recons his orders are down by a half , time will tell .

Have to have faith and it may shorten the season a couple of months but hopefully by 1st Nov we will be allowed out.  I have one day booked in late October but all the rest are from mid November onwards and planning on shooting at least once a week in January maybe twice a week if the early part of the season is cut back.  I'm not to worried about zillions of birds, just being out there with like minded folks is 98% of a day for me, so even 40-50 bird days in January will be most enjoyable.

20 hours ago, grahamch said:

No one from my syndicate will commit to making any decisions as yet. 

Would really like to know what's happening, could probably find a better use for the money at the moment. 

That will also be on a lot of peoples mind at the moment , more so with the younger ones with a family and a mortgage to pay , I dare say when this is all over some of the shoots syndicate members up and down the country might not even have a job to go back to .