Game Shooting This Season Is Looking Very Bleak.

marsh man

A private syndicate I beat on is only doing 4 days this year, with 1000 birds being put down, compared to 14 days last year with an average of 150 birds a day. They were just too unsure whether the guns would be able to shoot or not and didn’t want to commit fully. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have four more offers of shooting from end September through to end Janaury, these are commercial estates in Lincolnshire and Nofolk.  Unfortunately I am fully booked with 14 days arranged and my old pension will not stand for another.  I do not see a problem with pubs and eating places opening up.  Yes, overnight stays may prove difficult and looks like we will drive back every night rather than stay B&B and use the local pub for food.  Keep the faith and support the sport where you can.

On 09/07/2020 at 16:03, Walker570 said:

Well, I have four more offers of shooting from end September through to end Janaury, these are commercial estates in Lincolnshire and Nofolk.  Unfortunately I am fully booked with 14 days arranged and my old pension will not stand for another.  I do not see a problem with pubs and eating places opening up.  Yes, overnight stays may prove difficult and looks like we will drive back every night rather than stay B&B and use the local pub for food.  Keep the faith and support the sport where you can.

You must have got a very good pension Walker to do 14 days on the peg :lol: , things are looking slightly better than it did two or three months ago even though there are several local shoots that have either called it a day for this season , or cut down on the number of days , these are mainly the smaller shoots not the bigger commercial shoots .

Yep, no nicotine stains, no tattoos, no giant TV screen, no mortgage  etc etc etc.,  and try to live of the land where we can.   Bsically we treat our days shooting as our holiday.

Works out at around £100 a week.   I see some customers in my local village store cough up £20 or more just for some fags.  You spends your pennies how you wish.

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, no nicotine stains, no tattoos, no giant TV screen, no mortgage  etc etc etc.,  and try to live of the land where we can.   Bsically we treat our days shooting as our holiday.

Works out at around £100 a week.   I see some customers in my local village store cough up £20 or more just for some fags.  You spends your pennies how you wish.

Like wise,and you`re only here once!

15 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I am just the same, exactly the same. My shooting costs me about £5k per year/£100 a week.  Lotsa folk think I have a lot of money, but I don’t. 
One life——-Live it.

12 hours ago, London Best said:

I am just the same, exactly the same. My shooting costs me about £5k per year/£100 a week.  Lotsa folk think I have a lot of money, but I don’t. 
One life——-Live it.

It's a good job there are a lot of people think the same way as you do , I couldn't afford to spend £5k a year on shooting as I only have the state and a small private pension to live , we don't go short on anything and I am more or less shooting all the year round with , Pigeons , Wildfowl and some game shooting , although I can't afford to stand on the peg I do attend every shoot we have and if the dates don't clash I do the same on another shoot  , for a number of years I done the brushing  , then for a good number of years I drove the guns and beaters wagon and now with me being in my later stage of life :lol: , I just do the picking up on a shoot day .

So for some it might not be same, but I get just as much enjoyment from a days shoot as the person who is paying to be on the peg , in fact I would say when we all meet up and have a good yarn we have a better day than a lot of the guns , so thank you very much because if it wasn't for people like your good self we wouldn't be doing what we enjoy .

GOOD LUCK and I hope you have many good days in this coming season :good:

13 hours ago, London Best said:

One life——-Live it.

That’s good news 

you maybe able to have a bit more with the VAT reduction on hospitality 

just a thought 😊

@ Marsh Man, I too only have the state pension and small private pension as income now. But I saved hard and invested well whilst I was working and it is that which pays for my shooting. 
I agree with every word you say about being out on a shoot day. I have done A LOT of picking up and loading over the years and always enjoyed it just as much as shooting myself. I no longer have a team of dogs but potter about picking up with just the one I do have.

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

It's a good job there are a lot of people think the same way as you do , I couldn't afford to spend £5k a year on shooting as I only have the state and a small private pension to live , we don't go short on anything and I am more or less shooting all the year round with , Pigeons , Wildfowl and some game shooting , although I can't afford to stand on the peg I do attend every shoot we have and if the dates don't clash I do the same on another shoot  , for a number of years I done the brushing  , then for a good number of years I drove the guns and beaters wagon and now with me being in my later stage of life :lol: , I just do the picking up on a shoot day .

So for some it might not be same, but I get just as much enjoyment from a days shoot as the person who is paying to be on the peg , in fact I would say when we all meet up and have a good yarn we have a better day than a lot of the guns , so thank you very much because if it wasn't for people like your good self we wouldn't be doing what we enjoy .

GOOD LUCK and I hope you have many good days in this coming season :good:

Many thanks and I fully agree with you about the enjoyment of the day whether you are shooting or not. Let's face it we would not have beaters if they didn't enjoy the job. What does annoy me intensley is when toffee nosed guns walk away at the end of the day and do not make a point of personally thanking the beaters AND maybe passing time of day during the shoot. In addition moan that they haven't had enough shots. If that is the sole purpose of being there then they should pee off and go clay shooting and they can spend the day shouting pull.

My old aged pension pays for my shooting with money to spare for shells. 

7 hours ago, London Best said:

@ Marsh Man, I too only have the state pension and small private pension as income now. But I saved hard and invested well whilst I was working and it is that which pays for my shooting. 
I agree with every word you say about being out on a shoot day. I have done A LOT of picking up and loading over the years and always enjoyed it just as much as shooting myself. I no longer have a team of dogs but potter about picking up with just the one I do have.

Good man , you sound like perfect company on a days shoot , where do you mainly do your shooting ?

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Many thanks and I fully agree with you about the enjoyment of the day whether you are shooting or not. Let's face it we would not have beaters if they didn't enjoy the job. What does annoy me intensley is when toffee nosed guns walk away at the end of the day and do not make a point of personally thanking the beaters AND maybe passing time of day during the shoot. In addition moan that they haven't had enough shots. If that is the sole purpose of being there then they should pee off and go clay shooting and they can spend the day shouting pull.

My old aged pension pays for my shooting with money to spare for shells. 

I don't know what you think Walker , but I find the present days guns are much more social than the guns of yesteryear , when I first started to go brushing it was only on the estates and big farms where we would ever see a Pheasant , the guns were mainly made up of the gentry with some letters in the front of there name , some of these wouldn't give you the time of day if you never had a watch and you felt there were miles between you and them , now I find todays guns are mainly on the same wave length , we start the day having coffee together , the same with 11s and at lunch , we know each other by the first name and know the hard work done by everybody  to try and make it a success ,  

20 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Good man , you sound like perfect company on a days shoot , where do you mainly do your shooting ?

I suppose I spend more time shooting driven partridges in Lincolnshire than anything, with a pheasant or two thrown in. My family were originally from there, although I have never lived there myself. Dunno about perfect company though!

On 13/07/2020 at 11:59, bwana said:

My local,they hold the record,has a full diary.There will always be a strong demand for quality,there is no shortage of money about and with miniscule interest rates from the banks why not spend it ? Crack on !

Record for what?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...