Marsden Moors Fires - Controlled Burning?

Demonic69

So the BBC ans W Yorks Fire are calling for an end to controlled burning, it seems without any evidence as has become their MO.

Nick Smith, assistant chief fire officer with West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said the blaze could "so easily have been avoided" and called on landowners to change their ways.

"Controlled burning can easily spread, and tackling the consequences takes up a huge amount of the fire service's time and resources - moorland fires can quite literally go on for miles and days," Mr Smith said.

I can't see anything saying it was definitely started by a controlled burn, and the clue is in the name... controlled. Do these regularly get out of hand? With some Welsh fire forces now looking to reintroduce controlled burning to protect from huge fires, I can't imagine this being the case. Considering the last few were started by BBQs and campers, and the imminent lock-down has wazzocks flocking to the countryside, I'm surprised they're targeting land management.

23 hours ago, henry d said:

No they do regularly get out of control, sometimes spectacularly. I've been to a few and occasionally the keeper or farmer has been unaware that it had gotten out of control.

I remember when 'controlled' stubble burning burning was common place and my dad was regularly called out when it turned out it wasn't so controlled.

Stretching my memory now, but i recall around the mid 80s there was a particularly good fire around Aberfeldy that was a consequence of a controlled burn going badly wrong.  Were you in the service then?

That was Amulree, I missed it fortunately but I did get an odd heather burn that got out of control and we spent time hiking across hills and moor with beaters until they invested in an Argo cat to take us up. Unfortunately we eventually killed it by sinking it in the river Almond just north of Perth.

On 24/03/2020 at 12:07, Demonic69 said:

So the BBC ans W Yorks Fire are calling for an end to controlled burning, it seems without any evidence as has become their MO.

I can't see anything saying it was definitely started by a controlled burn, and the clue is in the name... controlled. Do these regularly get out of hand? With some Welsh fire forces now looking to reintroduce controlled burning to protect from huge fires, I can't imagine this being the case. Considering the last few were started by BBQs and campers, and the imminent lock-down has wazzocks flocking to the countryside, I'm surprised they're targeting land management.

Very strange logic sometimes? Recently here the Ambulance service called for the removal of potentially life saving drugs and the blue lights from First Responders, go figure that one?