Finally a few

the hitman

Pigeons in my patch have been really difficult to decoy this winter and after many hours driving to recce fields followed by bags of one’s  and two’s  I finally got a few shots off yesterday.

This particular field of OSR has a main road on its easterly side and the pigeons had been feeding along this edge to shelter from the westerly wind and were completely un-shootable.

The recent easterly wind had pushed the birds further into the middle of the field where a small patch of bushes made a great place for a hide.

I set up 15 sillo decoys in just enough wind to give some movement and settled into the hide.

Its a big field and the birds were pitching in 150 yards in front of me, however a group of 6 came for a look and I shot one quickly followed by another, and put these straight onto the magnet.

On this occasion the magnet was a game changer and as the birds returned to the field they came straight for the magnet in groups and singles. I could see distant  birds approaching spot the magnet and set themselves to come in. I had some Trust 30g no 6 to try and was more than happy with the way they stopped the birds although most shots were at committed birds over the decoys so any cartridge would have done the same job. 

I had a couple of doubles but mostly singles as they flared off so quickly after the first shot.

It was my first day away from work (school) because of the Coronavirus and I was taking calls and sending emails and relying on my old cocker spaniel to keep watch over the decoys and probably didn’t shoot as much as I should have.

After 4 hours of good shooting at around 1pm it started to tail off and I picked up exactly 40 pigeons, which I just finished breasting as my usual outlets are now closed.

After Boris’s announcement last night I won’t  be out for a while and I wouldn’t shoot pigeons that I cannot eat or sell.

Hitman.

FF52342A-1627-49F1-9257-8D88B59765ED.jpeg

Well done they seem to know there is safety by the roadside.that easterly gave me different options. I was keeping some for emergancy rations but was forced by lack of space to empty freezer and start again the day before the notification i will try to get a few with air rifle in garden for emergancy.