Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lloyd90

Gamebore Super Steel’s

Recommended Posts

Is it right that these are HP (High Performance) Steel? 
 

I (stupidly) assumed that as the ones I ordered weren’t a big load (32g 3’s) and were only 70mm they wouldn’t be HP and could be used in any gun... but it appears that they are indeed HP steels, is that right? 
 

I still have other guns I can use them in, but wanted to see what they’re like in my SxS with tight choke. Oh well 😔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used these through non steel proofed guns in the past. It is my understanding they are indeed HP. The tightest choke I ever used them in was 3/4, a bit punchy but very capable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is it right that these are HP (High Performance) Steel? 
 

I (stupidly) assumed that as the ones I ordered weren’t a big load (32g 3’s) and were only 70mm they wouldn’t be HP and could be used in any gun... but it appears that they are indeed HP steels, is that right? 
 

I still have other guns I can use them in, but wanted to see what they’re like in my SxS with tight choke. Oh well 😔 

 

https://gamebore.com/uk/cartridge/game/12g-super-steel-game

12g Super Steel. This high velocity Steel load is suitable for use in standard 2 ¾” chambered guns in shot sizes 4 and 5. The larger size shot 3 should only be used in high performance steel shot proofed guns with barrels and chokes designed for steel loads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have used these through non steel proofed guns in the past. It is my understanding they are indeed HP. The tightest choke I ever used them in was 3/4, a bit punchy but very capable. 


My rough and ready SxS is choked 1/2 and Full, might not be worth risking it. 

3 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

 

https://gamebore.com/uk/cartridge/game/12g-super-steel-game

12g Super Steel. This high velocity Steel load is suitable for use in standard 2 ¾” chambered guns in shot sizes 4 and 5. The larger size shot 3 should only be used in high performance steel shot proofed guns with barrels and chokes designed for steel loads.


****** I thought I had seen that somewhere before but I couldn’t remember... when ordering on the phone the bloke asked what size and I was going to say 4 but got 3’s as I thought I could use either!! 
 

Numpty I am!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:


My rough and ready SxS is choked 1/2 and Full, might not be worth risking it. 

****** I thought I had seen that somewhere before but I couldn’t remember... when ordering on the phone the bloke asked what size and I was going to say 4 but got 3’s as I thought I could use either!! 
Numpty I am!! 

Can you get an appointment with your Dentist to have your fillings put back in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a aya yeoman, choked 1/2 & full, had hundreds of super steel 3&4's through it, it's had up to steel #B also.wouldnt say its punchy and chokes are still same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smiler23 said:

I use a aya yeoman, choked 1/2 & full, had hundreds of super steel 3&4's through it, it's had up to steel #B also.wouldnt say its punchy and chokes are still same

^^^^ This nice mild steel load that works just fine in any choke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

^^^^ This nice mild steel load that works just fine in any choke.

 

It says on the box it is HP steel, not mild steel? 

5 hours ago, Smiler23 said:

I use a aya yeoman, choked 1/2 & full, had hundreds of super steel 3&4's through it, it's had up to steel #B also.wouldnt say its punchy and chokes are still same

Gamebore Super Steel, 32g 3's? Through 1/2 and Full choke? and the gun is 70mm chamber and not steel proof? 

 

Potentially same position as me then. 

6 hours ago, PPP said:

Super thumpy ... 

Worsr case I will use them through my 11-87 - 3" chamber and steel proof. Nice soft shooting gun :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

 

It says on the box it is HP steel, not mild steel? 

Gamebore Super Steel, 32g 3's? Through 1/2 and Full choke? and the gun is 70mm chamber and not steel proof? 

 

Potentially same position as me then. 

Worsr case I will use them through my 11-87 - 3" chamber and steel proof. Nice soft shooting gun :) 

By mild i meant not exiting / nothing special. In the early days of steel i shot plenty of these and 1650fpz lightening steel loads through a very crude 70mm chambered belgian hammer gun. it was half and full and never gave a moments trouble on them. Gamebore super steel in 32 gram, could not live with the 1650fps loads. they are just a nice soft shooting load that gets the job done. trat anything on that box as rear end covering. they are nothing out the ordinary. look at johny boys speed tests they are around 1400fps IIRC.  and not a wild powder charge.  You do as you like if your scared dont use them, i an not saying do as i do here but i would use them in anything in decen condition, and 70mm chambers  900kgs you will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lancer425 said:

By mild i meant not exiting / nothing special. In the early days of steel i shot plenty of these and 1650fpz lightening steel loads through a very crude 70mm chambered belgian hammer gun. it was half and full and never gave a moments trouble on them. Gamebore super steel in 32 gram, could not live with the 1650fps loads. they are just a nice soft shooting load that gets the job done. trat anything on that box as rear end covering. they are nothing out the ordinary. look at johny boys speed tests they are around 1400fps IIRC.  and not a wild powder charge.  You do as you like if your scared dont use them, i an not saying do as i do here but i would use them in anything in decen condition, and 70mm chambers  900kgs you will be fine.

AH cheers mate 👍🏻👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

By mild i meant not exiting / nothing special. In the early days of steel i shot plenty of these and 1650fpz lightening steel loads through a very crude 70mm chambered belgian hammer gun. it was half and full and never gave a moments trouble on them. Gamebore super steel in 32 gram, could not live with the 1650fps loads. they are just a nice soft shooting load that gets the job done. trat anything on that box as rear end covering. they are nothing out the ordinary. look at johny boys speed tests they are around 1400fps IIRC.  and not a wild powder charge.  You do as you like if your scared dont use them, i an not saying do as i do here but i would use them in anything in decen condition, and 70mm chambers  900kgs you will be fine.

The Lightning steel was advertised to do 1650 fps, in tests it came out at 1373 fps and others say it does not reach the advertised velocity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

The Lightning steel was advertised to do 1650 fps, in tests it came out at 1373 fps and others say it does not reach the advertised velocity.

Revisit my post Please. READ!.

 Lightening steel RELOADS Lightening steel As in loads from Book ! Lighening steel By Don Parker. Google it and learn. NOT YOUR DAY IS IT BUT I ALWAYS HAVE AN ANSWER RIGHT. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Revisit my post Please. READ!.

 Lightening steel RELOADS Lightening steel As in loads from Book ! Lighening steel By Don Parker. Google it and learn. NOT YOUR DAY IS IT BUT I ALWAYS HAVE AN ANSWER RIGHT.

 

30 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

By mild i meant not exiting / nothing special. In the early days of steel i shot plenty of these and 1650fpz lightening steel loads through a very crude 70mm chambered belgian hammer gun. it was half and full and never gave a moments trouble on them. Gamebore super steel in 32 gram, could not live with the 1650fps loads. they are just a nice soft shooting load that gets the job done. trat anything on that box as rear end covering. they are nothing out the ordinary. look at johny boys speed tests they are around 1400fps IIRC.  and not a wild powder charge.  You do as you like if your scared dont use them, i an not saying do as i do here but i would use them in anything in decen condition, and 70mm chambers  900kgs you will be fine.

show me where the word "reload" is??,eley dont sell reloads,and you put lightning steel through a gun with 70mm chambers??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, andrewluke said:

 

show me where the word "reload" is??,eley dont sell reloads,and you put lightning steel through a gun with 70mm chambers??

I wrote RELOADS IN MY REPLY GEDIT ?  Lightening steel are popular RELOADS. And came out  Long before Eley ever coined the name Lightening steel. And Not one lightening steel load from Book 1 is 3 inch,  all 70mm 2 3/4 inch.

Image result for lightning steel reloadsimage.jpeg.279e5cdb0e849c8b1b765a3ee9d6ad74.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I wrote RELOADS IN MY REPLY GEDIT ?  Lightening steel are popular RELOADS. And came out  Long before Eley ever coined the name Lightening steel. And Not one lightening steel load from Book 1 is 3 inch,  all 70mm 2 3/4 inch.

Image result for lightning steel reloadsimage.jpeg.279e5cdb0e849c8b1b765a3ee9d6ad74.jpeg

show me where you mention reloads in the post i quoted,very dangerous to say "lightning steel through 70mm chambers",lightning steel is 76mm,you would have not corrected yourself if i hadn't of pick you up on it,!🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, andrewluke said:

show me where you mention reloads in the post i quoted,very dangerous to say "lightning steel through 70mm chambers",lightning steel is 76mm,you would have not corrected yourself if i hadn't of pick you up on it,!🤪

But i mentioned early days of steel Eley never even made lightening steel and you said 1650fps was not acchievable that was the whole point of your lame post. People KNOW NOW OK i MIssed off the word RELOADS but i genuinely thought there was enough info in my post to make anybody read between the lines, even you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

But i mentioned early days of steel Eley never even made lightening steel and you said 1650fps was not acchievable that was the whole point of your lame post. People KNOW NOW OK i MIssed off the word RELOADS but i genuinely thought there was enough info in my post to make anybody read between the lines, even you.

Reloads was a very dangerous bit to leave out,surely you would agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a ratch and found some in the back of my cabinet from 2009! They are 3’s, and some of the general advice is as follows:

’ When using steel shot in older guns it is advisable to use fixed chokes as these are more reliable than screw in chokes’ 

‘Guns using steel shot regularly should have chokes lightened ( 1/2 choke is ideal.’

WARNING

’These cartridges are suitable for use in: 70mm case length. Guns with a chamber length of 2 & 3/4 ( 70mm ) or longer, nitro proofed to a service pressure of 3& 1/4 tons per square inch(900kg per sq cm). 
 

67mm case length. Guns with a chamber length of 2&1/2 (65/67mm) or longer, nitro proofed to a service pressure of 3 tons per sq inch ( 850kg per sq cm) 

Ironically there is a ‘Protect your Sport’ proclamation above the BASC logo, and underneath JOIN THE BASC NOW. 🙂

Anyhow, I used these cartridges extensively some years ago, mostly on ducks, through my old Winchester 101, admittedly through nothing tighter than 1/2 because that was the tightest Winchoke I had back then. I also used them through a 3/4 fixed choke Browning 2000. They hit very hard, and none of my guns were any the worse for wear for using them.

I’ll go back to these when I’ve finished the SAGA. Good cartridge. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 21:57, Lloyd90 said:

Is it right that these are HP (High Performance) Steel? 
 

I (stupidly) assumed that as the ones I ordered weren’t a big load (32g 3’s) and were only 70mm they wouldn’t be HP and could be used in any gun... but it appears that they are indeed HP steels, is that right? 
 

I still have other guns I can use them in, but wanted to see what they’re like in my SxS with tight choke. Oh well 😔 

They are only classed as HP because of a very small pellet diameter increase over the 4s. I would personally use them on a gun like yours with tight chokes. I have been using the exact same cartridge through a .675 choke recently in a 12.

They are only a medium speed cartridge, but work well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, motty said:

They are only classed as HP because of a very small pellet diameter increase over the 4s. I would personally use them on a gun like yours with tight chokes. I have been using the exact same cartridge through a .675 choke recently in a 12.

They are only a medium speed cartridge, but work well.

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...