Richer Sound & Samsung

krugerandsmith

I bought a 49 inch curved screen TV from Richer sound over 3 years ago. The picture at the top of the screen  gradually getting darker. So I contacted  Richer in Chester,.  who told me that they would send a repair man out to fix it, he found that the back light was not working and required a new screen which would take about a week to obtain. Two days later I received a phone call from Samsung apologising for the telly breakdown and asking me if I would be happy if they were to send me a new television giving me a choice of 5 models.  Happily  I chose  the most expensive 55 inch one.  The set was delivered,  two men removed my old set and installed the new one. The remarkable thing about this is that these men came from Norwich all the way over to the Wirral.    Now how's that for service?

Julian Richer was a Council member of the League Against Cruel Sports and a Vice President of the RSPCA.

I am not knocking the service that the OP was given, nor Samsung products, but I would never give that business my custom.

Edited by JDog

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Julian Richer was a Council member of the League Against Cruel Sports and a Vice President of the RSPCA.

I am not knocking the service that the OP was given, nor Samsung products, but I would never give that business my custom.

Interesting, never knew that. I bought a tv from there many years ago. I won’t be again.

Better than Sony. Our 43” Sony did an automatic software update, which caused it to go into a constant start up loop. Sony said it needed a new main board, about £200. As it was out of warranty, it was to be at the owner’s cost.

My logic was, their software update that caused the failure, so their responsibility. 
Lots of people with the same or similar model have had the exact same problem with no help from Sony (unless it was still in warranty).

They really know how to treat their customers.

I threw the two year old tv out and bought another make.

By the way, the Sony was from Currys and had the standard one year warranty. The Phillips that replaced it came from Richer Sounds and came with a six year warranty.

Edited by moondoggy

8 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Better than Sony. Our 43” Sony did an automatic software update, which caused it to go into a constant start up loop. Sony said it needed a new main board, about £200. As it was out of warranty, it was to be at the owner’s cost.

My logic was, their software update that caused the failure, so their responsibility. 
Lots of people with the same or similar model have had the exact same problem with no help from Sony (unless it was still in warranty).

They really know how to treat their customers.

I threw the two year old tv out and bought another make.

By the way, the Sony was from Currys and had the standard one year warranty. The Phillips that replaced it came from Richer Sounds and came with a six year warranty.

I would have had it repaired by an independent- along with sending a report to Currys beforehand. If nothing from them I would have taken small claims action against them

1 hour ago, discobob said:

I would have had it repaired by an independent- along with sending a report to Currys beforehand. If nothing from them I would have taken small claims action against them

Well I will NEVER buy another Sony tv. I will always look for another option on other electronic equipment before considering Sony. I know from the Sony Community Forum that there are many other people that now feel the same way. Their loss.

As for Julian Richer, he is entitled to his opinion on our sport and my stopping using his shop won’t change his mind, but, he runs an excellent business and gives superb service, so, I will always use his shops where I can.

Edited by moondoggy

8 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Well I will NEVER buy another Sony tv. I will always look for another option on other electronic equipment before considering Sony. I know from the Sony Community Forum that there are many other people that now feel the same way.

Same.  I have years ago had fantastic products from Sony.  I still have some after many years.  The recent products have been poor - for example my 3 year old TV cannot play BBC iPlayer (catchup) due to insufficient memory - and has a dire user interface.  (Fortunately I can do a workaround using the Samsung DVD).  They seemed to quite lose the plot.

On 25/03/2020 at 08:47, JDog said:

My neither

same for Lush

On 26/03/2020 at 07:34, JohnfromUK said:

Same.  I have years ago had fantastic products from Sony.  I still have some after many years.  The recent products have been poor - for example my 3 year old TV cannot play BBC iPlayer (catchup) due to insufficient memory - and has a dire user interface.  (Fortunately I can do a workaround using the Samsung DVD).  They seemed to quite lose the plot.

Try doing refresh internet content - or a hard reset instructions should be in your manual

This does come up from time to time on our telly with YouTube. The only apps we have left are Netflix and YouTube now but have other sources 😉

I have several bits of kit from richer sounds I do believe he has now sold the company and gave most of the profit to his staff. He may have some misguided views but seem to recall he quite liked the old ‘Golden Brown’ and that does not seem to have held mr Tesla back. 

regardless of his political view point he Knew good service and hard bargain met him once IIRC 

Regards Agriv8 

On 29/03/2020 at 19:31, Agriv8 said:

I have several bits of kit from richer sounds I do believe he has now sold the company and gave most of the profit to his staff. He may have some misguided views but seem to recall he quite liked the old ‘Golden Brown’ and that does not seem to have held mr Tesla back. 

regardless of his political view point he Knew good service and hard bargain met him once IIRC 

Regards Agriv8 

He is still involved, he has handed a 60% controlling share over to his staff. He also gave each employee (not execs) £1000 per year of service out of his own profit from the move.

He May not share our views on our sport, but he treats his employees well and that counts for something in my book.