Shooting or Not?

psycho

Hi all

Boris has finally stopped masses of people with his stay at home 

You should only leave the house to get food, pharmacy look after relatives and of course once a day for fitness.

If you leave for other reasons or go out in groups you can get a fine..

My questions are

Is Shooting pigeon , rabbit and vermin classed as fitness

It's not classed as work as we don't get paid and not directly employed by the farmer. Permission giver etc

Also is it safe going out in pairs or would you need to go alone

I know the answers but thought I would put the question up for general debate during these hard times and stay safe

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a whole load of jobs to do on a couple of my outlying farms but they are not essential, so they will be put on the back burner for three weeks.  Bite the bullet , sit tight and be safe.

It is selfish people flaunting the common sense rules who have brought this on AND I guarantee in the next three weeks you will see the same people breaking the rules again.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

I have a whole load of jobs to do on a couple of my outlying farms but they are not essential, so they will be put on the back burner for three weeks.  Bite the bullet , sit tight and be safe.

It is selfish people flaunting the common sense rules who have brought this on AND I guarantee in the next three weeks you will see the same people breaking the rules again.

Oh yes, that is where the Police will come in to the equation.

29 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

It wouldn't feel comfortable to go out and bag a ton ….

Sneaking half a dozen or so for the freezer I think I could morally justify, and physically get away with.

It feels a damned sight safer than going round Tesco!

Yes i said exactly the same on a thread on the off topic section, i would not go to tessco for a gold pig. .

What I do know is I wouldn't want to be the first one caught and made an example of though.

Luckily half of my perms haven't been drilled yet so there's not a great deal about anyway. 

Been doing as much walking as I've been able to lately to try and help my chest. Guess I'll start doing laps of the house 😂

I can't see the problem. Michael Gove said earlier on the BBC that open air construction sites with due precautions can remain working. It must be difficult - if not downright impossible - for the legislators to get this absolutely right under very trying conditions and where they have not been before - at least in recent times. I don't suppose for one minute that the wishes of a slack handful of pigeon shooters is anywhere near the top of their priority list. By the very nature of our actions, we would not appear to be putting ourselves or anyone else at risk. However, such is that risk that seemingly common sense may well not be justified in this case in view of its complexity.

Because on the face of it there would appear to be no problem and as we are told that this could go on for quite a while, perhaps an approach for guidance from the voice of shooting could be made after that organisation has in turn sought advice on the shooters' behalf from the powers that be.

Even if you could classify/justify it, i.e. exercise, essential pest control (protecting future food supplies) etc, I would think a call to your farmer would be essential to find his views on you coming out and onto his land, he may well have strong feeling on the subject of peoples movements at this time.   

I'm starting to think that I might be in the minority on here. 'Most' of Boris's message seemed clear to me - he is trying to crack down on non-essential travel. Yes, some of it is confusing and we do need clear guidelines but how can anybody justify that getting in your car and driving to your shoot is essential. You may well be sitting in the middle of a 1000 acre estate with not a soul for miles but you had to drive there.

Less traffic on the roads means less accidents, less mileage in the car means less visits to the petrol station and reducing chances of spreading the virus at the pumps, paying the cashier, etc. The message is to stay in, folks 👍

Why should pigeon decoying, by an individual, be an issue ?

A person pigeon decoying will pretty much be isolated, keeping a good distance from anyone the whole time they are out in the field AND getting a daily dose of exercise. If a vehicle has to be left on the roadside or in a gate hole, place a card on the dash ‘OWNER CARRYING OUT CROP PROTECTION’.

Perhaps if your perm is close to any human habitation, any facility which has remained open, a construction site or similar, then probably it’s best to keep away, nothing to be gained from drawing unnecessary attention to yourself and avoid any land, field or area with a footpath running through it.

Just make sure your farmer/landowner is okay with you continuing your crop protection.

It could be argued that crop protection is an essential service and if it’s deemed not to be then it’s certainly a worthwhile service which benefits indirectly ( and unknowingly ) many many people. 

Good Hunting everybody. 

9 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

I wouldn’t say it’s fitness. Walking in the countryside is. May as well take the gun with you.

but, I would say it’s a necessity.

imagine if NOONE shoots pigeons and rabbits between now and summer/harvest.... then there would be food shortages.

I doubt it very much.

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what about those PW members who help on farms with keeping lambs safe from foxes

Same as any type of shooting, you have got to make a journey to the farm.

34 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

i cant see a problem with sittin in a hide miles away from anyone,,,but as stated maybe basc an co could clarify our position,after all its far more risky goin in shops for supplies.

Agree wholeheartedly but fear not because at some point someone in authority like DEFRA or the bloody BASC will clarify the situation.

‘Less traffic on the roads means less accidents, less mileage in the car means less visits to the petrol station and reducing chances of spreading the virus at the pumps, paying the cashier, etc. The message is to stay in, folks 👍

This, to me, sums it up. Shooting in isolation may seem ok but when you consider the points quoted above you have to think again.