Shooting or Not?

psycho

3 minutes ago, psycho said:

What constitutes home

Is it your house or house and garden and drive can you tend to your garden or wash your car or sit in your garden or do you have to be housebound

Tending your garden and washing your car are fine. You are not travelling in your car and not mingling with others, so super low risk. Driving around the countryside searching for pigeons is a risk for the reasons mentioned earlier. The 'exercise' reason mentioned by Gove I assume is intended for people just going for a walk/run/cycle from their homes, not driving 10 miles to do so.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, psycho said:

What constitutes home

Is it your house or house and garden and drive can you tend to your garden or wash your car or sit in your garden or do you have to be housebound

See your just being silly now to push the boundaries. 

Which is exactly my point, if one lot are still going out, then the next lot will also think it doesn’t apply to them. 

People will be out shooting, then fishing, then horse riding, then walkers and joggers, hikers, other sports will start on. 
It’ll be the weekends all over again. 

But hey, if you want to go out crack on! I can’t tell you what to do. 

In 6 months time when we have finished burning all the dead we can look back and no big deal eh?

12 minutes ago, motty said:

Like I have said, what is the difference between me (on my own with my dog) on a field, or someone walking a dog around a local park?

The people walking dogs are far more likely to come into contact with others.

Nothing, but how did you get there?

To protect myself, my family and my employees I have phoned the couple of people who shoot here on the farm that they are no longer welcome. During this extremely busy lambing period I can't take the risk of one of us picking up the virus from gates, styles and such like which may have been unknowingly contaminated by one of the shooters.

Shooting odd fox or pigeon just isn't worth the risk.

20 minutes ago, psycho said:

Yes but Boris has said it is acceptable to go out for fitness once a day to run, walk or cycle.

My permission is 1 mile away my nearest park that is still open is 5 each is a car drive..both provide a walk for fitness 

On one there will be only me.on the other there will be 100s all 6 feet apart with dogs..

Which is the safer

So you will be walking to your permission then, if so, fine.

Edited by old'un

16 minutes ago, motty said:

I don't see why the travel is particularly relevant.

Because the government has asked everyone to avoid unnecessary travel.

Points made by the government this morning are, to avoid all non-essential travel, essential travel includes:

- Travel to buy food

- Going to the pharmacy

- Traveling to look after vulnerable or elderly people

- Travel by key worker

If people cannot comply with these rules they intend to enforce it, as they have in Italy.

7 minutes ago, old'un said:

Because the government has asked everyone to avoid unnecessary travel.

Points made by the government this morning are, to avoid all non-essential travel, essential travel includes:

- Travel to buy food

- Going to the pharmacy

- Traveling to look after vulnerable or elderly people

- Travel to work, when work cannot be done from home

If people cannot comply with these rules they intend to enforce it, as they have in Italy.

Fixed it

Key worker doesn't come into it

Edited by Newbie to this

14 minutes ago, old'un said:

Not sure what you mean by key workers not coming into essential travel?

What I mean is, it's not only Key workers allowed to travel for work. IE. the rule you posted about travel was not completely factual.

People keep getting hung up on Key workers, at this moment in time anyone who cannot work from home can if they choose travel for work.

Edited by Newbie to this

12 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

What I mean is, it's not only Key workers allowed to travel for work. IE. the rule you posted about travel was not completely factual.

People keep getting hung up on Key workers, at this moment in time anyone who cannot work from home can if they choose travel for work.

so they do come into it?

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Don’t be an ****!!

The government doesn’t need to list absolutely every activity you can and can’t do. 

is going shooting absolutely essential? NO! So stay at home. 

? Each field planted by a farmer is not in itself essential. The collective of the actions is and crop protection is an important part of the whole. No individual action in itself is essential but if crop protection has a value in the food supply chain, maintenance of that supply chain is essential and there is no risk of contamination in my mind there is no argument against it. 

16 minutes ago, Remimax said:

bit of a tough one this.

we have fields being drilled this week but the thought of having a go and ending up face down in the dirt is not an inviting one.

just opinions at the moment then.

Just a thought on this.

Why have basc etc not sought advice on this and informed us. As club insurance only covers us for legal persuits. If we're not allowed out and could be fined for doing so your not insured .??.

Also would your car insurance pay in the event of a collision or theft if your not supposed to be out. ??

Just a thought. !!!!.

We have to apply a bit of common sense here. The latest requirements brought in regarding travel is largely based upon what is happening in the capital...London. I know it's a nationwide requirement, because you can't have a two tier system ( although there seems to be one about who gets paid to stay at home! ) but in rural communities life is going on very much as before, whilst adhering to requirements....the pubs are shut etc etc. 

The reference to parks is also based on what is happening in the capital, and groups of people congregating in the streets. 

Shooting doesn't take place in cities and towns ( not the type we're talking of here anyhow ) and is mostly a solitary occupation. If I get the chance to go decoying I'll be going, the chances of me bumping into anyone else is low to zero, and even then I wont have to go and cuddle them.  

1 hour ago, old'un said:

so they do come into it?

Yes but NOT solely as your post suggested!

But they are NOT mentioned in the government rule, so don't come into the rule as they are not mentioned. The rule includes everyone who isn't in a business the government have shut or those who can work from home!

Edited by Newbie to this

The person on the BBC has just had a question and answer session he said

There is no problem with using your car to go somewhere for a walk .

If there is only you why not stay all day

If there is others then the risk is high so minimum time or even go back home as other persons are all risk

He also said don't go fishing as you don't know who sat in the spot before and it will cause risk

It's all about distancing.. and by not distancing it will cause death he said

Daniel Sanford the home affairs person gave the session.

Good advice he used sense with his answers

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

We have to apply a bit of common sense here. The latest requirements brought in regarding travel is largely based upon what is happening in the capital...London. I know it's a nationwide requirement, because you can't have a two tier system ( although there seems to be one about who gets paid to stay at home! ) but in rural communities life is going on very much as before, whilst adhering to requirements....the pubs are shut etc etc. 

The reference to parks is also based on what is happening in the capital, and groups of people congregating in the streets. 

Shooting doesn't take place in cities and towns ( not the type we're talking of here anyhow ) and is mostly a solitary occupation. If I get the chance to go decoying I'll be going, the chances of me bumping into anyone else is low to zero, and even then I wont have to go and cuddle them.  

totally correct the selfish and stupid are still putting my daughters life at risk today so it’s pointless stopping when we have the sense to avoid ALL contact and could be helping others out with a free meal 

6 minutes ago, psycho said:

The person on the BBC has just had a question and answer session he said

There is no problem with using your car to go somewhere for a walk .

If there is only you why not stay all day

If there is others then the risk is high so minimum time or even go back home as other persons are all risk

He also said don't go fishing as you don't know who sat in the spot before and it will cause risk

It's all about distancing.. and by not distancing it will cause death he said

Daniel Sanford the home affairs person gave the session.

Good advice he used sense with his answers

Yep just seen that, BBC1 questions and answers regarding what we can and cannot do, it now seems we can make that journey, so if your farmer is ok with you being on his farm, you are good to go.:good:

8 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Yes but NOT solely as your post suggested!

But they are NOT mentioned in the government rule, so don't come into the rule as they are not mentioned. The rule includes everyone who isn't in a business the government have shut or those who can work from home!

Ok thanks. :huh:

Quote from email sent this afternoon by the Institution of Agricultural Engineers (IAgrE):

The IAgrE has been in discussion with various government departments to ascertain whether our members would be classed as 'key workers' and the answer, unfortunately, is not entirely clear.

DEFRA has told us that if you are directly involved in the food production chain, that is to say that if you do not do your job there will be a hold up in food production or a loss in the food production chain, then you are a 'key worker'. Thus, for those of us who are not delivering spare parts or equipment to farms, are not repairing equipment, or are not involved directly in keeping the technology of planting, harvesting etc. going then we may not be classed as a 'key worker'. The government is requiring the employer, the company and the self-employed individual to determine for themselves whether people are 'key workers'. DEFRA has pointed out, however, that if this is abused, then they will come down hard on those who have acted irresponsibly.

11 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Quote from email sent this afternoon by the Institution of Agricultural Engineers (IAgrE):

The IAgrE has been in discussion with various government departments to ascertain whether our members would be classed as 'key workers' and the answer, unfortunately, is not entirely clear.

DEFRA has told us that if you are directly involved in the food production chain, that is to say that if you do not do your job there will be a hold up in food production or a loss in the food production chain, then you are a 'key worker'. Thus, for those of us who are not delivering spare parts or equipment to farms, are not repairing equipment, or are not involved directly in keeping the technology of planting, harvesting etc. going then we may not be classed as a 'key worker'. The government is requiring the employer, the company and the self-employed individual to determine for themselves whether people are 'key workers'. DEFRA has pointed out, however, that if this is abused, then they will come down hard on those who have acted irresponsibly.

Pretty clear to me. 

Received a txt this very afternoon - one of our team rang TVP today for a URN (unique reference number) to allow him to shoot vermin (this is a condition we must follow as the land is very public) and was refused under the grounds that Vermin control is not considered essential - all shooting on the 5k acres in MK has been stopped by the owners.

53 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

don’t think you can get more essential than being the chap shooting pigeons eating the crop someone should just make a clear call for us straight yes or no