Shooting or Not?

psycho

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, David BASC said:

Thanks for that, if you have a better repose , of have more recent information from ministers please post it rather than slagging me of for trying to help the shooting community

David

Keep up the good work.

There are some narrow minded, self interested folk on here at present spouting real ********.

Get a grip and follow govt stay at home advice, folk are dying from the virus and some seem to rate their ability to pot pigeons more highly than keeping the nhs and population safe.

What sort of a world do we live in now?

Edited by grahamch

I am staying entertained with a Larsen trap. its down the back paddock and i am getting a few, and just breasting em out  and not much on em i am planning on a culinary adventure soon. And yes i am complying with the terms of the GL before we get the Experts chime in.

Edited by lancer425

I can confirm that any BASC member shooting outside of the law will no be covered by their BASC insurance. Lets not look for loop holes but stick to the rules in play at the moment, we must not only do the right thing but be seen to do the right thing.

Getting a legal opinion on this is not relevant, we could throw tens of thousands at a legal case and there would be no point! The final arbiter is the Government and Government Departments. We cant expect an immediate response from them on shooting for pest an predator control  or any related activity for example, as obviously they have bigger fish to fry, but as I sad as soon as we do hear anything it will be posted on the web site.

11 minutes ago, David BASC said:

I can confirm that any BASC member shooting outside of the law will no be covered by their BASC insurance. Lets not look for loop holes but stick to the rules in play at the moment, we must not only do the right thing but be seen to do the right thing.

Getting a legal opinion on this is not relevant, we could throw tens of thousands at a legal case and there would be no point! The final arbiter is the Government and Government Departments. We cant expect an immediate response from them on shooting for pest an predator control  or any related activity for example, as obviously they have bigger fish to fry, but as I sad as soon as we do hear anything it will be posted on the web site.

END OF!:good:

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Keep up the good work David, It IS APPRECIATED!:good:

+1 :good:

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

This is a similar response to the G L pigeon shooting shutdown we had last year , when it was in force and then we were looking for loop holes to get around it .

Now we are in a much more serious situation where the Prime Minister who is head of the the country ( apart from the Queen ) is pleading with everyone to stay at home unless it is absolutely  necessary to go out , except for the most vital reasons .

And now here we are again looking for ways around it , if we all comply to the rules hopefully this will soon be over and the ones who are still alive can get back to some sought of normality .

We will not run out of food because a few pigeons go on crop fields , so be sensible and give it a miss until this horrible decease get sorted out .

Well said that man :good:

I have noted David BASC edict regarding shooting outside the law . There are many laws I could break ranging  from Sunday shooting in Norfolk, using a Section 5 firearm or shooting over a dog that has not been microchipped. Could he please specify exactly which law he is referring to and where, specifically ,the  insurance documentation made available to members states that.

Also , in whose judgment will I have been deemed to be outside the law  - his or by conviction in a Criminal Court or something in between?

6 hours ago, Meldon said:

Keep up the good work.

There are some narrow minded, self interested folk on here at present spouting real ********.

Get a grip and follow govt stay at home advice, folk are dying from the virus and some seem to rate their ability to pot pigeons more highly than keeping the nhs and population safe.

What sort of a world do we live in now?

I do wonder, maybe those that just HAVE to go out can plead that they were offering personal protection to the Farmer. Only today a Farmer was attacked by a walker after suggesting he should have stayed at home. I spent my entire working life dealing with Joe Public, I quickly came to the conclusion that the bulk of them were idiots. Events over the last few weeks have done nothing to change my mind.

There is something badly wrong with a position that a person on private land, be it a field or golf course that is closed to the public can not be acting with caution regarding the transmission of the virus if he is doing so alone. Its safer than dog walking or jogging in a park.

In my case I have been implored to deal with crows wrecking a golf clubs greens. The club has just been closed to members but the groundsmen are still mowing the greens and fairways. I cannot do the shooting when there are members present ( usually all hours of  daylight every day) but this is a stand apart golden opportunity to deal with the issue that is too practical to ignore.

If I'm to believe what I read on here I'd be acting very rashly, risking my ticket and will not be covered by my BASC membership legal representation. :hmmm:

Would you care to comment on this please David BASC?

Edited by Dave-G

6 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Hard to argue that this is related to food production.

Agreed - and that's partly what is wrong - there is less risk than exercising in a park yet it doesn't fit into a kneejerk made slot. The rules have been rushed out whereas the criteria should be judged on risk of spreading the virus alone. Some bloke out shooting alone in a field or golf course poses no risk.

Edited by Dave-G

These are unprecedented times, both financially and life and death for some a 21 year old health lady died today in the uk.

are a few crows damaging some grass on a golf green really worth not following the advice of the government? Theirs a reason the golf course is closed.

After all if this lockdown goes on for a long time the golf course may go bust or find its members can no longer afford to play golf having lost their businesses or job.

please show your support for the NHS staff doing an incredibly risky and emotionally challenging job by staying at home or if you really have the need to get out and are young and fit volunteer as one of the 250,000 NHS helpers.

13 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

These are unprecedented times, both financially and life and death for some a 21 year old health lady died today in the uk.

are a few crows damaging some grass on a golf green really worth not following the advice of the government? Theirs a reason the golf course is closed.

After all if this lockdown goes on for a long time the golf course may go bust or find its members can no longer afford to play golf having lost their businesses or job.

please show your support for the NHS staff doing an incredibly risky and emotionally challenging job by staying at home or if you really have the need to get out and are young and fit volunteer as one of the 250,000 NHS helpers.

Eh? Sorry but please tell me how a lone bloke shooting in wide open ground is even remotely risky? The golf course is closed because of people being in close proximity to others - opening and closing doors in the clubhouse, sat at tables, in toilets etc. The gov advice is hasty and sloppy generalised risk assessment. Do you think everything politicians do or say is right?

Edited by Dave-G

Because when you leave your house you are at risk, you may have an accident travelling to and from the golf course will you sit in your car dying thinking well that was just unlucky or will you expect the emergency services and NHS hospital to respond? 

You should feel the sacrifice and pain on a nurses face when she finally  returns home from work unable to hold her 3year old daughter or husband instead keeping away from them in case she passes on the virus. Try explaining to a 3year old why mummy can no longer hug her, kiss her or do bed time. 

get real stop being so selfish a few crows pale in to insignificant the sacrifice nhs staff are making every second of every day.

Stay at home stay safe.

23 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Because when you leave your house you are at risk, you may have an accident travelling to and from the golf course will you sit in your car dying thinking well that was just unlucky or will you expect the emergency services and NHS hospital to respond? 

You should feel the sacrifice and pain on a nurses face when she finally  returns home from work unable to hold her 3year old daughter or husband instead keeping away from them in case she passes on the virus. Try explaining to a 3year old why mummy can no longer hug her, kiss her or do bed time. 

get real stop being so selfish a few crows pale in to insignificant the sacrifice nhs staff are making every second of every day.

Stay at home stay safe.

Really? I'll respectfully differ from your opinion that its risky driving two miles to a golf course on near empty B roads. This has NOTHING to do with having the greatest respect for the NHS staff. If you want to be a desperate martyr to a cause go right ahead but there is less risk with the exercise I'd like to do than with what the gov says is OK.

Answer me a question if you would: Is shooting in a golf club or field outside the city limits less virus risky than taking the dog for a walk around the footpaths of a dense housing estate where lots of other people are doing the same? Which dot guv approves of?

You may notice i edit my posts quite often - I'm slightly dyslexic and sometimes find better ways to write something.

Edited by Dave-G

48 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Agreed - and that's partly what is wrong - there is less risk than exercising in a park yet it doesn't fit into a kneejerk made slot. The rules have been rushed out whereas the criteria should be judged on risk of spreading the virus alone. Some bloke out shooting alone in a field or golf course poses no risk.

Dave-G,,,, I'm not taking sides, but I can see both sides,,,, mostly this is people's opinions and understandings of the new 'advice'.

My answer is,,,, try it,,,, see how you feel about it while you're there,,,, then, DON'T TELL ANYONE ON THE INTERNET WHAT YOU'VE BEEN DOING,,,, because you'll upset some, and please others. But really you don't need to inform the world about what you want to do 👍

The Internet is an outlet for some,,,, some believe everything on it, but nobody HAS to post on here and other forums etc, everything they get up to.

That's my thoughts on this subject,,,, good luck and keep safe 😉

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

Dave-G,,,, I'm not taking sides, but I can see both sides,,,, mostly this is people's opinions and understandings of the new 'advice'.

My answer is,,,, try it,,,, see how you feel about it while you're there,,,, then, DON'T TELL ANYONE ON THE INTERNET WHAT YOU'VE BEEN DOING,,,, because you'll upset some, and please others. But really you don't need to inform the world about what you want to do 👍

The Internet is an outlet for some,,,, some believe everything on it, but nobody HAS to post on here and other forums etc, everything they get up to.

That's my thoughts on this subject,,,, good luck and keep safe 😉

:good::thanks:

Dave you have already made up your mind, but as somebody who looks to be in gun trade should you not be leading by example?

The message is simple stay home stay safe, but obviously a few crows are an essential reason to go out.

why not wait a day or two and see if basc David posts an update? After all the lockdown is for 21days. 

Right,,,, in my circumstances, shooting air rifles only, I would go out on my permissions every day while this situation is ongoing. I mainly shoot rabbits, with the odd chance of a pigeon or two, the odd magpie - if I'm stealthy enough - occasionally even the odd crow. My shooting area covers around 100 acres, all on VERY private grounds,,,, now please tell me where that is WRONG ? ,,,,,

after I tell you that it's all connected paddocks, crop fields, private estate land and organic veggie farm,,,, and ALL emanating from my girlfriend's 3 acre property which is horse paddock [unfortunately minus any horses] 🤔

ps.... I won't be doing this as I live and work away from that area and am self isolating at the moment 🙄 And if I did, only myself, my GF and landowners would know about it.

Edited by JKD
Added ps....

25 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Dave you have already made up your mind, but as somebody who looks to be in gun trade should you not be leading by example?

The message is simple stay home stay safe, but obviously a few crows are an essential reason to go out.

why not wait a day or two and see if basc David posts an update? After all the lockdown is for 21days. 

Yes, I'd love to wait to be honest, but if the club reopens the opportunity will be be lost - it can only be done in daylight when there are no golfers on the course. Equally honest - I've not fully made up my mind which is why I sought peoples thoughts on it but mostly wanted Davids comment after he posted words to the effect that BASC would not support members failing to observe unchallenged interpretations of a very badly thought out government position.

Thank you all for your inputs.

PS, not in the gun trade - I used to make torches and night vision rigs for sale.

EDIT: Taken from David BASC's post;

Posted 7 hours ago

But Boris's law/rules say we can go out to exercise...   

Edited by Dave-G

5 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Yes, I'd love to wait to be honest, but if the club reopens the opportunity will be be lost - it can only be done in daylight when there are no golfers on the course. Equally honest - I've not fully made up my mind which is why I sought peoples thoughts on it but mostly wanted Davids comment after he posted words to the effect that BASC would not support members failing to observe a very badly thought out government position.

Thank you all for your inputs.

Dave at this time I guess their is no right or wrong answer everyone one of us are responsibility for are own safety, the government could never realistically detail what every single person should or should not do based on their life style.

if it was me I would wait till towards the end of the lockdown, then the golf course would still be closed and hopefully the virus is in significant decline. 

19 minutes ago, JKD said:

Right,,,, in my circumstances, shooting air rifles only, I would go out on my permissions every day while this situation is ongoing. I mainly shoot rabbits, with the odd chance of a pigeon or two, the odd magpie - if I'm stealthy enough - occasionally even the odd crow. My shooting area covers around 100 acres, all on VERY private grounds,,,, now please tell me where that is WRONG ? ,,,,,

after I tell you that it's all connected paddocks, crop fields, private estate land and organic veggie farm,,,, and ALL emanating from my girlfriend's 3 acre property which is horse paddock [unfortunately minus any horses] 🤔

now please tell me where that is WRONG ? ,,,,,     All within the terms of the General Licences of course, in case it was in doubt.