Shooting or Not?

psycho

I sat in my garden today listening to shooters not more than 3/4 mile away fo r the 4th day running on drilling put there by a semi commercial outfit operaters and shooters obviously are not pw members this time last year i lost 2 perms because i wouldnt turn out on some very vulnerable soya because of th gl debacle lack of information, decision making, from the powers that be all the while 4 other shooters had a great time and got a 1000 acres of shooting. I have some common land at the end of the village no through rd its very pretty walkers and dog walkers love it there is room for 3 cars to park i counted 8 today parked on verges the pedestrian traffic through the gates was constant  singles, pairs, parents and children all self distancing cyclist and joggers to and i cant spend a day in a field on my own in case i have a car accident on the way..

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Scully said:

Indeed. Cumbria Police are telling caravan owners and mobile home owners in the Lakes to go home. 

We had the same problem around the North Norfolk coast last weekend , a lot of people from outside the area have got holiday homes and came because we were one of the least affected counties , we love to see the visitors but not during these troubled times.

Having read the posts of some of the doom mongers on here about the possiblity of loosing my certificate, I called derbyshire firearms department today. The first person i spoke to was'nt giving a clear answer so I asked to speak to a manager, who was called Mr Eley.
I learnt the following:

1/ In absence of specific government guidence, their policy is 'use good judgement' and 'be sensible'

2/ crop and livestock protection under general licence is a good reason and essencial, clay shooting is obviously not.

3/ don't congrigate to shoot

4/ They won't be taking certificates away for this kind of thing.

5/ if confronted by the police just call again and he will be happy to clarify the position.

25 minutes ago, Anglo said:

Having read the posts of some of the doom mongers on here about the possiblity of loosing my certificate, I called derbyshire firearms department today. The first person i spoke to was'nt giving a clear answer so I asked to speak to a manager, who was called Mr Eley.
I learnt the following:

1/ In absence of specific government guidence, their policy is 'use good judgement' and 'be sensible'

2/ crop and livestock protection under general licence is a good reason and essencial, clay shooting is obviously not.

5/ if confronted by the police just call again and he will be happy to clarify the position.

Mr Eley, the firearms officer! Like it 👍

47 minutes ago, Anglo said:

I learnt the following:

Fair enough but did you ask for that to be confirmed in writing because it's at odds to what I was told by my licensing manager.

Problem is that as there's no definitive guidance (understandably as there's more pressing issues going on) it's open to interpretation and can change depending on whom you speak to and when.

1 hour ago, Anglo said:

I learnt the following:

I spoke to Avon and Somerset specifically for fox shooting on the lambing fields. They took advice and came back with a no. I then pointed out other plice force advice and they changed to you must satisfy yourself that you are following the government guidelines and it was not for them to advise? I asked them to make a record of our discussion. 

31 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

Fair enough but did you ask for that to be confirmed in writing because it's at odds to what I was told by my licensing manager.

Problem is that as there's no definitive guidance (understandably as there's more pressing issues going on) it's open to interpretation and can change depending on whom you speak to and when.

I asked for email confirmation but he said they are short staffed and have a lot of people ringing up and asking the similar things.

'Same advice to everyone' although like i said, the first person I spoke to was not being crystal clear.

Not much i can do about it except carry on regardless.

I refused to live my life in fear of the state.

1 hour ago, MrPhantom said:

Mr Eley, the firearms officer! Like it 👍

I struggled to not laugh or mention it.

1 hour ago, Anglo said:

Not much i can do about it except carry on regardless.

I refused to live my life in fear of the state.

It is fortunate that most of us do not share your arrogant and selfish attitude in these troubled times.

OB

8 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

It is fortunate that most of us do not share your arrogant and selfish attitude in these troubled times.

OB

I agree.

It's not the state imposing draconian laws to stop people having fun but to try and save lives.

For the vast majority, shooting cannot be classed as essential or justified

27 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

I will bite once.

Please explain to me how I'm being selfish, being isolated at home or *possibly* in a field?

Please explain how I'm being arrongant given that all i have done is call the right person for advice and posted it on here?

The comment 'carry on regardless' was clearly in the context of not receiving the email confirmation I wanted. Perhaps you missunderstood?

Refusing to live in fear of the state is a political statement that perhaps I should'nt have made because some people can be sensitive to the most basic ideas of liberty in this day and age. But I stand by it because its what I believe in most contexts. Although I won't comment on it further.

39 minutes ago, Anglo said:

Please explain how I'm being arrongant given that all i have done is call the right person for advice and posted it on here

Well said , as far as I'm concerned protection from foxes during lambing is essential work ,keeping the food chain moving is essential work, and my farmers will appreciate that and support it.

If I dont do it ,they will find someone who will.

43 minutes ago, Anglo said:

I will bite once.

Please explain to me how I'm being selfish, being isolated at home or *possibly* in a field?

Please explain how I'm being arrongant given that all i have done is call the right person for advice and posted it on here?

The comment 'carry on regardless' was clearly in the context of not receiving the email confirmation I wanted. Perhaps you missunderstood?

Refusing to live in fear of the state is a political statement that perhaps I should'nt have made because some people can be sensitive to the most basic ideas of liberty in this day and age. But I stand by it because its what I believe in most contexts. Although I won't comment on it further.

Or refusing to follow the restrictions and guidance!

23 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Or refusing to follow the restrictions and guidance!

But why settle for riskier rushed out general guidance for the masses who can't get to private fields to exercise on a dense housing estate narrow footpath when its better to do it in an empty field  *posing less risk of passing someone who has just coughed out a lungfull of virus?* 

*Just to counter the weak arguments about risking a car crash.*

Edited by Dave-G

11 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

But why settle for riskier rushed out general guidance for the masses who can't get to private fields to exercise on a dense housing estate narrow footpath when its better to do it in an empty field  *posing less risk of passing someone who has just coughed out a lungfull of virus?* 

*Just to counter the weak arguments about risking a car crash.*

I strongly suspect Boris and his Team hoped that people might follow the guidance, but as we have seen, far too many just will not accept what they are told to do.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I strongly suspect Boris and his Team hoped that people might follow the guidance, but as we have seen, far too many just will not accept what they are told to do.

Devils advocate: Are you suggesting that going for a jog on a narrow footpath passing some people who may be coughing less than 3 feet away is good advice when some people have an opportunity to exercise more carefully?

8 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Devils advocate: Are you suggesting that going for a jog on a narrow footpath passing some people who may be coughing less than 3 feet away is good advice when some people have an opportunity to exercise more carefully?

No not at all, we as a country are in lockdown, but too many people are unable to accept it.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No not at all, we as a country are in lockdown, but too many people are unable to accept it.

Now that's just being easily convinced - we are in partial lockdown to minimise the risk of getting too close to other people. there will always be exceptions who can be safer or more at risk.