Shooting or Not?

psycho

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to the head FEO of Essex Police this morning as I’m having an address change sorted and called him up. 
I asked his opinion on the above argument. 
He advised:

Follow BASC’s advice. If it’s essential pest control, you’re out on your own, you will be social distanced etc... then it’s ok. He gave some scenarios...

- if you are pigeon shooting on freshly drilled peas etc... for later year crop protection - that’s essential. 
- if you are roost shooting or just walking about taking the odd pop at a pigeon etc... it’s not. 
- if you are shooting rabbits on a field to protect horses/donkeys from leg breaks because of rabbit damage to paddock, that’s essential. 
- if you are shooting rabbits on a golf course to protect the green, it’s not essential. 

Basically - protecting livestock, animals and crops are essential - protecting trees and fields for golf, deer damage, ‘just because’ isn’t. 

He said that it’s best to phone 101 and get a URN each time you go - as police have been advised that if they get called out to you and you haven’t got a good reason to be there, they are to sizes guns and certs and the licensing team will review your case after all this COVID stuff is over as they obviously can’t pop out to see you and ask you what you were up to etc... if you have legit reason to be there (as above) and also have a URN, it’s fine to be sorted. 

For me personally: 

I’ll still be shooting the rabbits on the horse and donkey paddocks as they are less than 2 minutes from my house. I’ll use my HMR. I’ll get a URN each time I go now in case. 
I won’t be going over to shoot the rabbits at the golf club I shoot, as much as the owner is asking me to, as I can’t claim it as Essential - the FEO made it clear that ‘protecting grass so idiots can bat balls around it later’ isn’t essential. 

On 06/04/2020 at 15:35, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, anyone in the Thames Valley Police area been out on the pigeons ? did you contact 101 or the farmer ? there is a pigeon shooter out now south of Abingdon

I heard them that day I live local sounded around fyfield way near millers farm

1 minute ago, Shotguneddy said:

I heard them that day I live local sounded around fyfield way near millers farm

hello,  i know most farms in the vale and this was south of Abingdon, it was only one day, the Millets  farm complex only covers a small area of the Garford farm and would not allow shooting , so maybe around the village or towards the A420,