The Shooting Times

The Heron

6 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

resurrect the shooting times a bit if they had a new section to invite write ups from readers

Nothing stopping you from submitting a report on spec.  Could be start of something interesting.  Problem is, even if you can wordsmith to the standards required, these days writers need to be capable of taking pictures that are of sufficient quality to be printed in a glossy magazine.  Pics from your smartphone don't always meet the grade.

David Garrard  was kind enough to replay to a few letters I sent him regarding home loading.Ideveloped a 20 buffered load .David loaded it up and tested it .He tested loads with  mr Charlton who owned clay game.Still got the letters he wrote me.

One of my acquaintances does some artwork for ST from time to time. He takes photos of his work with his cheap laptop and e-mails them. a few years ago you had to send in the original painting.

Some articles are published with generic photos - check the photo credit next to the snap and it may well be some one different from the author.

1 hour ago, dipper said:

David Garrard  was kind enough to replay to a few letters I sent him regarding home loading.Ideveloped a 20 buffered load .David loaded it up and tested it .He tested loads with  mr Charlton who owned clay game.Still got the letters he wrote me.

Yep, a very kind and helpful chap. He helped Father when he started reloading. After a while Father changed tack and went for 2". He then sent David a load of the genuine 2" (not the usual 2.2") and crimped loads he'd made - not to mention a gun to shoot them with as David didn't have one. David and a friend took them pigeon shooting and were so impressed that the result was an article in ST about them.

I met David later on while in Norfolk and playing with BASC. He was kind enough to write the foreward on a booklet that I'd written.

What I've always wondered is that do the magazines write/publish want they want to or being in the business of making a profit in a very competitive market, have to produce what they think the target audience wish to read.

Colin Willock, Gough Thomas , Lea McNally and Geoffrey Boothroyd  I don’t think there has been any replacements. I loved reading the ST ,from my Dads in the late 60s early 70s through  the late 70s early 80 s with BAOR when my mum posted them over. Just buy them occasionally now. I prefer to read through my old 1970s copies ,I don’t find the early 60s late 50 s issues as good as the 1970,80s issues.

I too never buy it now, I get given a copy now and again, but it is poor value when compared with the content in the 60’s and 70’s, used to wait impatiently for every edition and read it avidly..........I met Lindsay Waddell and his missus when he was headkeeper on a prestigious, northern English Grouse moor, I found him a nice chap! Peter Moxon was another contributor his kennels ( Beoley kennels) was not far from where I lived, I met him a few times, although he was getting on in years, he still had a fancy for the ladies! :rolleyes:

Good to see they got another local Award winning Suffolk Keeper featured in keeper of the month this week. Doing great work for english partridges and conservation in general. Also using local Suffolk examples in the article about fox dumping. £1,000.00 reward for any evidence on that. Look out for a new feature they maybe running on the Flea Barn project local to me. More good conservation stuff and another piece in the puzzle of local farms that are doing real conservation work to help turtle doves and english partridges. . . . . Boffin on Radio 4 other week reckoned there were only 90 english left in the county. Makes you wonder where they get there misinformation from!  Can hear at least 2 calling at back of mine.   NB

1 hour ago, oneshot1979 said:

Had this one tucked away safely for a good few years now. Always wondered if it'd be worth anything...... All intact with original staples.

IMG_20200326_152510~2.jpg

One of my favourite magazines! I have many copies still of Guns Review and Handgunner from back in the days when we were allowed such things. Great magazines!

This was a family favourite from pre war days,sent overseas to me for fourty years,I once had an article published,they paid me GBP50.oo,then equivalent to my monthlý salary. I was quite chuffed.

It is clearly getting thinner,like me and about as interesting.

6 hours ago, Konor said:

Colin Willock, Gough Thomas , Lea McNally and Geoffrey Boothroyd  I don’t think there has been any replacements. I loved reading the ST ,from my Dads in the late 60s early 70s through  the late 70s early 80 s with BAOR when my mum posted them over. Just buy them occasionally now. I prefer to read through my old 1970s copies ,I don’t find the early 60s late 50 s issues as good as the 1970,80s issues.

Couldn`t agree more once those illustrious names disappeared ST was on a downward slope and slid faster year on year .

Back in the 1980/90 shooting times printed a few pages of myself and friends shooting days, one that stands out was ptarmigan shooting where there photographer got so exhausted walking in the snow we had to keep stopping so he could catch up, I also used to supply a lot of photos to the magazine  and was lucky enough to make a few front covers,. Jim.

14 minutes ago, wigeon jim said:

Back in the 1980/90 shooting times printed a few pages of myself and friends shooting days, one that stands out was ptarmigan shooting where there photographer got so exhausted walking in the snow we had to keep stopping so he could catch up, I also used to supply a lot of photos to the magazine  and was lucky enough to make a few front covers,. Jim.

hello, the shoot i use to go on many years ago had a middle pages article on the Partridge shooting day, there was a local chap who wrote for the shooting times, one i remember was, My First Hundred ? around the middle 1980s, he did the Partridge shoot day, when we all read the My First Hundred reference to pigeon shooting we all knew it was ****

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

My little  Border Terrier had her pic in ST many moons ago. I took it of her as she was retrieving a goose from the river Eden, and then sent it in to ST, which printed it! 😀
I loved that little dog, and still miss her greatly. 😢

Edited by Scully

On 25/03/2020 at 15:41, Stimo22 said:

I have loads of old ones from 1964 onward, and as soon as the virus is over will put on the site to get rid of for a small charge. if anyone wants some in the meantime they could collect

I’d be interested in some of the 1960’s ones

will have to wait as I’m in Nottingham so will have to get you to post some 

If you have any number of "early" copies, please try to find a home for them as they are very scarce. Book dealers are not really interested even in bound copies as they take up a lot of space for what they will fetch. I have copies back to pre-war times but ones published during the war, when they went to a flimsy newspaper style, seem to be non-existent.

The glossy blue covers with striking black and white photos started in 1949/50. The 50s are full of the battles over the 1954 bird protection bill, the foundation of many wildfowling clubs and so on. The memories of "Seapie" (Clifford Borrer) about the professionals and the gentleman bird collectors of North Norfolk and elsewhere take one back to another era.

22 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Maybe it would be an idea if they wanted to resurrect the shooting times a bit if they had a new section to invite write ups from readers, kind of like our talk from the field section here. I know they have their letters to the editor on specific topics but I really think they need to expand rather than rely on their staff to put in write ups that could date back to the previous season.

I think that they did suggest for people to write in with their stories but whether they had no takers or scrapped the idea, I'm not sure.

Within the odd copies that I've seen recently (received second hand from a friend) they now include 'From times past' or something, where they print old articles from some of the old writers previously mentioned. These now are the most interesting bits in the magazine. As said, it is a shadow of its former self and I will make no comment regarding the current editor, although a comment made by someone who thought that he was on work experience from school !

OB

At the moment many of us have time on our hands. You can find some of the better writing by ST contributors free of charge.

Matt Cross (the freelance news man) has a twitter feed which is always interesting and usually amusing - his Hampshire Hyena Project was a flash of comic genius -and today has a link to a serious essay by him about rewilding. He also has an occasional blog on wordpress, Countryside Controversial.

Patrick Laurie also does twitter but less of it as he gets his living in many ways. His blog gallowayfarm.wordpress.com is a nice read - he is a very good writer.

Richard Negus has also just started a blog which can't be too hard to find. All stuff for the next rainy day in isolation.......

On 26/03/2020 at 11:28, panoma1 said:

I too never buy it now, I get given a copy now and again, but it is poor value when compared with the content in the 60’s and 70’s, used to wait impatiently for every edition and read it avidly..........I met Lindsay Waddell and his missus when he was headkeeper on a prestigious, northern English Grouse moor, I found him a nice chap! Peter Moxon was another contributor his kennels ( Beoley kennels) was not far from where I lived, I met him a few times, although he was getting on in years, he still had a fancy for the ladies! :rolleyes:

I met him at Crufts a couple of years ago whilst waiting for our wives to come out of the loos. Come over as a lovely bloke.

On 29/03/2020 at 17:35, redial said:

As a schoolboy in the early 70's I used to try and find some at summer fetes.

Loved all the adverts and would cut out the slips to send for gun and equipment brochures.

Always remember the ads for Grey squirrel tails and Jay wings.

Happy days.

Yes! Me too. My dad kindly ordered it from the local paper shop.