Wooden Gun Box Refurb ?

Stimo22

Just got a very old mahogany gun box and thought i would use it to make a storage box for my side by side, with new locks and catches etc. But after searching the web I found the exact same box for several hundred pounds without any inners. So I now think that I will restore repair the box to look original. I think it must be an old mussel loader box and all the bits are there but needs repair, I fixed the lock and made a key to start, but have some questions if anybody has anything similar.

Does the bottom supposed to have green baize or should it be plain wood.??

What is the best way to deal with the shakes along the top

Box1.JPG

box3.JPG

Box2.JPG

I should have said should green baize be on the underside on outside.

just took out the baize of the lid and underneath was a name W H C Mansfield and KSLI. Done some investigation and it looks like Shropshire infantry and was a ww1   War hero

10 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

I should have said should green baize be on the underside on outside.

just took out the baize of the lid and underneath was a name W H C Mansfield and KSLI. Done some investigation and it looks like Shropshire infantry and was a ww1   War hero

I don't think there would have been anything on the outside!

Yes as said I don't think any on the outside and I would carefully fill the cracks/shakes with a good filler....was just about to say ditchie would pipe up soon as there he is:yes:

Ok advice from the Guru please...goood quality filler or some adhesive ????

It's a nice old box and deserves a few more years.   Have a look at what is under the green beize on the bottom.

Edited by Walker570

i would try a couple of sash clamps first..................maybe even put it in an evironment that is damp ..so as to let the wood swell...............

regards filling ...i would cut a sliver of would (the same wood)...and glue and introduce it to the crack and sand down and stain and repolish...........

I have done a few of these over the years, not necessarily as well as I would like but you learn each time. I have a few awaiting attention. They would not have felt on the outside bottom And this has been proper b******d about with. Looking at the partitions they do not look original either as they would generally be taper profile. If you want to do it correctly it might be worth buying some decent partitions from Peter Dyson if he still does them.

internally wool felt or velvet covering. I managed to pick up an old pool table baize off a mate so if I avoid the spots have a good dark green with used finish.

Don't be carried away by prices you see there are some silly figures on cases out there. Plenty come up at the auctions or on the bay. It’s worth looking at the top auction sites like Holts for examples to show internal layout.

Good luck

Yes, as Dave said the partitions don’t look original.......it would be nice to incorporate the lining showing Mansfield’s name into the refurb! You will get ideas of how it should look, with some research!

Good luck, and Im sure we all look forward to a pictorial progress report?:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Box update, outside cleaned and repaired quite nice, and found out some more on the history of the owner who put his name in lid. He was in RFO in Ww1 and was observer in the first action recorded. They forced a German plane to land with there revolvers and then landed and chased them into some woods. They then burned the plane and returned to there base.

Now of to start on the inside of the box to fit a gun in

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...