Fieldsports related advice during the coronavirus outbreak

Advice and guidance is available online from various organisations for individuals and businesses. Links below in case that helps.

Angling Trust
https://www.joinanglingtrust.net/covid19-support-hub

BASC
https://basc.org.uk/coronavirus/

BDS
https://www.bds.org.uk/index.php/news-events

CA
https://www.countryside-alliance.org/covid-19-hub

If you have any shooting related queries as an individual or a business and are a BASC member please email me at conor.ogorman@basc.org.uk with your postcode and membership number and I will ensure you get a response.

If there are other organisations giving advice that I missed please post comments with links below.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the filed sports community is trying to come together to help all those involved in field sports, its a shame the usual few come out attacking one or the other organisation. Frankly is you have nothing positive to contribute to the discussion I for one would wish you simply keep out of it! This is a time for unity and not division.

8 minutes ago, David BASC said:

When the filed sports community is trying to come together to help all those involved in field sports, its a shame the usual few come out attacking one or the other organisation. Frankly is you have nothing positive to contribute to the discussion I for one would wish you simply keep out of it! This is a time for unity and not division.

Absolutely, David.

I have just been reading your other post about awaiting information from Defra and wondering whether or not this information would be available to ALL shooters, not just BASC members - which I hasten to add would be fair enough if BASC is going alone on this.

But then I came to your last sentence. As has been recently shown, the shooting organisations can unite when necessary. Is this not a case that such would be advantageous  in relation to this topic?

As soon as we have more info it will be as widely published as possible, on the BASC web site and social media accounts as well as this forum, I know other organisations are also putting pressure on DEFRA to clarity a range of issues surrounding pest and predator control.

David

4 minutes ago, David BASC said:

As soon as we have more info it will be as widely published as possible, on the BASC web site and social media accounts as well as this forum, I know other organisations are also putting pressure on DEFRA to clarity a range of issues surrounding pest and predator control.

David

David,

Obviously pending the actual answer itself, that is exactly what I would imagine that everyone would have wished to hear.

I'd just like to add my 2p

I was pigeon shooting today at the request of a freind / farmer who had just drilled a feild of oats. The farm in question had already lost a feild of turnips this year to pigeon.

I set up my hide on the footpath - not because it was the best possition in the feild to shoot from, but because it was the safest - I could see walkers and they could see me. I'll also add that this was a very little used footpath - I've previously only ever encountered one person on it before - and I've shot it on and off quite often.

Anyway, today I must have met about five footpath users - joggers, dog walkers and one  walker / rambler type. All were fine barr one.

The walker / rambler was quite an indignant chap and decided in his own mind that I could not shoot over / from a footpath. I tried to explain the ownership of land and that footpaths were merely rights of way. Also that I was performing neccecery crop protection, which was a job that could not be performed from home. I also explained that even though I was not committing an offence, he was disrupting a legal activity. He then decided to call Cheshire East police. Cheshire East dutifully dispatched a police car. Between him calling for it and its arrival I also called 999 and gave my side of the story and confirmed that my gun was unloaded and broken from me first being aware of the chap arriving. He filmed me from the start and I briefly filmed him. Either video will only show that I was entirely cooperative, polite and completely gun safe.

Next the farmer appeared and gave him an earful over crop protection, etc. 

Then the police turned up and the farmer spoke to the police woman, as I did not wish to leave the gun in the feild, or carry and risk seeming provocative. He came back after five minutes with the message - 'The police say you can carry on Pete. You (the walker / rambler) theres a police officer over there that wants a word with you.'

The Police woman then sent him on his way.

So, hats off Cheshire East - a sensible rational and proportionate approach to an incident that should never have happened in the first place.

From this, I am assuming that the police (in Cheshire East at least) are entirely happy with crop protection.

Peter

Edited by PeterHenry
Spelling

15 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

I was pigeon shooting today at the request of a freind / farmer who had just drilled a feild of oats. The farm in question had already lost a feild of turnips this year to pigeon.

I set up my hide on the footpath - not because it was the best possition in the feild to shoot from, but because it was the safest - I could see walkers and they could see me. I'll also add that this was a very little used footpath - I've previously only ever encountered one person on it before - and I've shot it on and off quite often.

Anyway, today I must have met about five footpath users - joggers, dog walkers and one  walker / rambler type. All were fine barr one.

The walker / rambler was quite an indignant chap and decided in his own mind that I could not shoot over / from a footpath. I tried to explain the ownership of land and that footpaths were merely rights of way. Also that I was performing neccecery crop protection, which was a job that could not be performed from home. I also explained that even though I was not committing an offence, he was disrupting a legal activity. He then decided to call Cheshire East police. Cheshire East dutifully dispatched a police car. Between him calling for it and its arrival I also called 999 and gave my side of the story and confirmed that my gun was unloaded and broken from me first being aware of the chap arriving. He filmed me from the start and I briefly filmed him. Either video will only show that I wa entirely cooperative, polite and completely gun safe.

Then the police turned up and the farmer spoke to the police woman, as I did not wish to leave the gun in the feild, or carry and risk seeming provocative. He came back after five minutes with the message - 'The police say you can carry on Pete. You (the walker / rambler) theres a police officer over there that wants a word with you.'

The Poluice woman then sent him on his way.

So, hats off Cheshire East - a sensible and rational and proportionate approach to an incident that should never have happened in the first place.

From this, I am assuming that the police (in Cheshire East at least) are entirely happy with crop protection.

Peter

Now that's how it should be, regardless of the Coronavirus situation.

18 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

The walker / rambler was quite an indignant chap and decided in his own mind that I could not shoot over / from a footpath. I tried to explain the ownership of land and that footpaths were merely rights of way. Also that I was performing neccecery crop protection, which was a job that could not be performed from home. I also explained that even though I was not committing an offence, he was disrupting a legal activity. He then decided to call Cheshire East police. Cheshire East dutifully dispatched a police car. Between him calling for it and its arrival I also called 999 and gave my side of the story and confirmed that my gun was unloaded and broken from me first being aware of the chap arriving. He filmed me from the start and I briefly filmed him. Either video will only show that I wa entirely cooperative, polite and completely gun safe.

The Poluice woman then sent him on his way.

So, hats off Cheshire East - a sensible and rational and proportionate approach to an incident that should never have happened in the first place.

Peter

top marks to the cheshire police and your self a lesson in common sense take note southern forces this is how it’s done 

I think in these circumstances a written letter of permission from the farmer would be a good idea. Not difficult to type one up and print it off so that all the farmer has to do is sign it.

Basically that letter would be a form of contract between you and him.

HOWEVER I am aware that some professional vermin control workers have been laid off work because they cannot lawfully go about their duties under the present rules/law so if that is the case it whole subject appears to be very badly drawn up . 

I'm pleased that everything came out good for you but would that attitude from the next door police force be the same....when it should be.

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I think in these circumstances a written letter of permission from the farmer would be a good idea. Not difficult to type one up and print it off so that all the farmer has to do is sign it.

Basically that letter would be a form of contract between you and him.

HOWEVER I am aware that some professional vermin control workers have been laid off work because they cannot lawfully go about their duties under the present rules/law so if that is the case it whole subject appears to be very badly drawn up . 

I'm pleased that everything came out good for you but would that attitude from the next door police force be the same....when it should be.

I'll add I am not a professional pest controller - i'm Paralegal in a large commercial law firm.

As sensible as carrying a letter may be (and I'll admit I wasent carrying one) - it wouldent have convinced this chap. Besides, the majority of the land I shoot over belongs to my family and I'm  given the task of distributing the shooting rights. I can hardly carry a letter from myself.

The sad state of it is that some people will never be happy with us going shooting.

But generally, without adding too much uneccecery tape - I agree that a letter from the landowner can only help.

Edited by PeterHenry

I think you handled the situation very well and let the farmer do the heavy talking. I agree there is very little you can do with these people but fortunately they are few and far between.  I was in a syndicate where three of the drives had busy footpaths running right across where the guns where pegged. Hikers would appear, someone would tell the beaters to hold tight for a few mins and the hikers would walk through being politely met with a series of "good morning"  or "nice day"  from the guns and when safely away the drive would continue. Never a problem.

19 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I think you handled the situation very well and let the farmer do the heavy talking. I agree there is very little you can do with these people but fortunately they are few and far between.  I was in a syndicate where three of the drives had busy footpaths running right across where the guns where pegged. Hikers would appear, someone would tell the beaters to hold tight for a few mins and the hikers would walk through being politely met with a series of "good morning"  or "nice day"  from the guns and when safely away the drive would continue. Never a problem.

👍

12 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

The walker / rambler was quite an indignant chap and decided in his own mind that I could not shoot over / from a footpath. I tried to explain the ownership of land and that footpaths were merely rights of way. Also that I was performing neccecery crop protection, which was a job that could not be performed from home. I also explained that even though I was not committing an offence, he was disrupting a legal activity. He then decided to call Cheshire East police. Cheshire East dutifully dispatched a police car. Between him calling for it and its arrival I also called 999 and gave my side of the story and confirmed that my gun was unloaded and broken from me first being aware of the chap arriving. He filmed me from the start and I briefly filmed him. Either video will only show that I was entirely cooperative, polite and completely gun safe.

The Police woman then sent him on his way.

So, hats off Cheshire East - a sensible rational and proportionate approach to an incident that should never have happened in the first place.

Peter

So yourself - Farmer and Cheshire Police have stuck 2 Fingers up to the Government BASC other organisations NHS and all those suffering from Coronavirus .

You certainly don't come across as a responsible person to me infact totally the opposite

20 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

So yourself - Farmer and Cheshire Police have stuck 2 Fingers up to the Government BASC other organisations NHS and all those suffering from Coronavirus .

You certainly don't come across as a responsible person to me infact totally the opposite

Oh please! There's got to be a modicum of common sense involved and applied surely! 

24 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

I'm a member of BASC and I'll refer you to their current stance on crop protection at this time.

I'll also refer you to the government's position on essential work that cannot be done from home.

PeterHenry,

You will get a lot of flack for your post and you will have to use your Paralegal brain to fight your corner and good luck to you but you will have to learn to spell rather better if your posts are to achieve some credibility.

11 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

I'm a member of BASC and I'll refer you to their current stance on crop protection at this time.

I'll also refer you to the government's position on essential work that cannot be done from home.

Work would imply payment!

Were you being paid?