Fieldsports related advice during the coronavirus outbreak

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, according to Hampshire police,  if the pigeons/corvids are hammering newly sprouting cereals, the farmer's not supposed to call on his reliable trusted volunteer free-of-charge pigeon shooters to protect the crops but rather, engage a professional paid-for pest controller.   

And if the crop protection is essential agricultural work then it is clearly essential to travel to the said crops ? 

That's not what the regulations suggest. Is this another case of the Police going beyond the regulations ? 

9 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

So, according to Hampshire police,  if the pigeons/corvids are hammering newly sprouting cereals, the farmer's not supposed to call on his reliable trusted volunteer free-of-charge pigeon shooters to protect the crops but rather, engage a professional paid-for pest controller.   

And if the crop protection is essential agricultural work then it is clearly essential to travel to the said crops ? 

That's not what the regulations suggest. Is this another case of the Police going beyond the regulations ? 

That’s how it is at the moment 

24 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

That’s how it is at the moment 

absolutely making a call that is not theirs to make as farm boy got the clear go ahead from defra who ARE the ones who make the rules the hampshire chief constable is clearly a anti or idiot 

10 minutes ago, clangerman said:

absolutely making a call that is not theirs to make as farm boy got the clear go ahead from defra who ARE the ones who make the rules the hampshire chief constable is clearly a anti or idiot 

Or he’s had some sort of incident that’s caused him to make the statement I don’t know what reason he has to take the steps and then take the trouble to inform all sgc and firearm license holders I could guess 

however that’s there rules at the moment and I’m sure that when this is over no one will have lost a permission to a professional pest control company Personally think he’s made a very difficult decision in unprecedented circumstances 

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Or he’s had some sort of incident that’s caused him to make the statement I don’t know what reason he has to take the steps and then take the trouble to inform all sgc and firearm license holders I could guess 

however that’s there rules at the moment and I’m sure that when this is over no one will have lost a permission to a professional pest control company Personally think he’s made a very difficult decision in unprecedented circumstances 

as the rules are made by the government the call is defras to make not his like the woman from defra fb spoke to who said this years harvest is the most important since the war she clearly knows farmers positions but he clearly has no idea of what is needed by farmers mans a fool 

3 minutes ago, clangerman said:

as the rules are made by the government the call is defras to make not his like the woman from defra fb spoke to who said this years harvest is the most important since the war she clearly knows farmers positions but he clearly has no idea of what is needed by farmers mans a fool 

Got a link to that FB post please? 

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

Feel free to tell him that 

send a email And explain the situation to him 

have you had anything from your local constabulary either saying you can or cannot go unless you’re a professional pest control company 

5 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if i lived in hampshire i would spell it out to him quick time luckily the two forces i operate under are fine just 101 them with details no problems at all common sense approach from both of them 

but you don’t nor do you know what else he’s dealing with in the situation so to judge him and call him a idiot is I feel unfair 

and my question was have you had anything in black and white?

I’d like to be a fly on the wall and see how you got on telling him 

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

but you don’t nor do you know what else he’s dealing with in the situation so to judge him and call him a idiot is I feel unfair 

and my question was have you had anything in black and white?

I’d like to be a fly on the wall and see how you got on telling him 

well if i was in his shoes i would feel more than a fool with other forces showing the common sense to allow us out i have no problem standing my ground regardless of who i’m dealing with as my own chief constable is well aware of unfortunately for him 

1 hour ago, arjimlad said:

If you are doing any type of  work and no payment offered or asked for you are still technically employed by the person you are working for,so what is the difference between you doing crop protection or a paid professional.

16 minutes ago, clangerman said:

well if i was in his shoes i would feel more than a fool with other forces showing the common sense to allow us out i have no problem standing my ground regardless of who i’m dealing with as my own chief constable is well aware of unfortunately for him 

When is your ticket due for renewal? :whistling:

23 minutes ago, clangerman said:

He must be quaking in his shoes then  !      🙄

Being from Hampshire and having all ready taken the decision over 3 weeks ago to not go pigeon shooting on the drilling’s on my permissions, I fully support the chief constable 100% in her decision. 

speaking with one of the farmers wife’s at work, I am still working as I work in an animal feed store, they are currently lambing and she is only leaving the house every two weeks to buy essential goods, they are trying to limit the risk of the virus spreading not only to them selves but to others too. 

she understood why I took the decision weeks ago to not go and shoot pigeons, corvids and fox to protect their livelihood. A txt to the farmer was appreciated and they know I will be back when this is all over.

the bangers and farmers are keeping the pigeons off the peas at the moment so I am not needed. It will be the selfish people still trying to justify shooting a few pigeons which will keep us in for longer, so we’ll done Hampshire police. I fully support your decision and I hope they do act on what they are saying. I will be the selfish one now by saying this, the more people who lose their license the more permissions people like me who are sticking by the rules will pick up in Hampshire.

23 minutes ago, pete1dart said:

Being from Hampshire and having all ready taken the decision over 3 weeks ago to not go pigeon shooting on the drilling’s on my permissions, I fully support the chief constable 100% in her decision. 

speaking with one of the farmers wife’s at work, I am still working as I work in an animal feed store, they are currently lambing and she is only leaving the house every two weeks to buy essential goods, they are trying to limit the risk of the virus spreading not only to them selves but to others too. 

she understood why I took the decision weeks ago to not go and shoot pigeons, corvids and fox to protect their livelihood. A txt to the farmer was appreciated and they know I will be back when this is all over.

the bangers and farmers are keeping the pigeons off the peas at the moment so I am not needed. It will be the selfish people still trying to justify shooting a few pigeons which will keep us in for longer, so we’ll done Hampshire police. I fully support your decision and I hope they do act on what they are saying. I will be the selfish one now by saying this, the more people who lose their license the more permissions people like me who are sticking by the rules will pick up in Hampshire.

Justifying it and doing it are two different things. :-)

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

ha ha good one to save the feo offices embarrassment I won’t share the reason my tickets are in no danger let’s just say some have to learn the hard way 

You seem to come across as a very determined person who would do your upmost to get around the on going restrictions to save your farmers crops from a total loss due to pigeon damage , fair enough , but since the rules have been in place can you honestly say your services have been justified .

One of your early posts you stated the police were called out from a member of public with you shooting on , or near a foot path , a waste of police time ?

Then after a urgent phone call from a farmer who was worried about pigeons on his freshly drilled Pea field , after travelling to the field you found nothing on it so after 2/3 hours you gave it a miss and drove back home . a non essential journey ?

Then on another post you stated you would ring the farmers up to see if they had any pigeon problems , not sure if this is the done thing when the request have to come from the land owner ?

1 minute ago, Scully said:

A bloke from our syndicate was out last Tuesday. He informed police HQ ( Cumbria ) prior to going.
He bagged 73 pigeon and 28 corvids but I don’t know what he was shooting over. 

there are more out than people think chap was out next door today and i could hear at least two other people one was definitely having a hot time 

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

You seem to come across as a very determined person who would do your upmost to get around the on going restrictions to save your farmers crops from a total loss due to pigeon damage , fair enough , but since the rules have been in place can you honestly say your services have been justified .

One of your early posts you stated the police were called out from a member of public with you shooting on , or near a foot path , a waste of police time ?

Then after a urgent phone call from a farmer who was worried about pigeons on his freshly drilled Pea field , after travelling to the field you found nothing on it so after 2/3 hours you gave it a miss and drove back home . a non essential journey ?

Then on another post you stated you would ring the farmers up to see if they had any pigeon problems , not sure if this is the done thing when the request have to come from the land owner ?

NO i said the police stopped to have a look obviously satisfied they drove on checking in with my perms is only common courtesy i’m not one of those who treat it as a jolly day out i don’t need any excuses i have clear requests to turn out ring 101 and now defra has stated they are happy we turn out i need justify my actions to nobody bar those making the rules and conditions 

@ Clanger man and some other like minder members.

Multiple thread many posts. All culminated in what had been known from the start Stay home Protect NHS and save lives. Only leave home for food health "Medicine Exersise Help vulnerable friends get food etc and Work Unless you can work from home.

ITS ALL THERE Just as is now clarified. Gamekeepers pest controllers farmers protecting crops, can not work from home. its their JOB. They can WORK. Its never ever been in question about THEM.

Now Voluntary pest controlling is / was where we always had a big doubt about. But still we are wanting to fudge the facts make a cap fit to suit our own requirements / wishes.

Start facing facts despite popular rumour over the last few days Those who work in pest control gamekeepers can carry on the rest of us can not .

Unfortunately unless the rules change that is where we are.