Game book extract.

JDog

32 minutes ago, London Best said:

I also very much enjoyed reading Jdog’s post from his diary, but must draw his attention to the post for 30th. Jan............Shelduck??

Yes a Shelduck.

The culprit was Nigel Anderton who was an Admiral or Commander or something similar in the Royal Navy. No rules applied to such a man.

July 16th 2016

Today I had the best flightline shoot I have ever experienced.  It took place on xxxxx.  The pigeons were coming from xxxxx. Jules and Gerard were already in position when I arrived. The flight had just begun (9.30am).

Jdog was to arrive at around midday. At that time we had around 90 on the clicker. The pigeons were mainly heading out to the wheat a few fields over. They continuously poured through, and those that flew over the well spread out guns were generally taken down. We all had some stormers (Jdog's words) and we shot pretty well.

The pick up was arduous, as many birds fell in the standing rape. The four dogs did well, bringing back bird after bird. I had 250 on the clicker, but I couldn't have seen all the birds fall. Me may have killed 270 or 280. We picked up well over 230.*

What a fantastic day.

80% of the pigeons that went through didn't even get fired at.

*The final pick up turned out to be 251.

Edited by motty

On 22/04/2020 at 09:54, motty said:

July 16th 2016

Today I had the best flightline shoot I have ever experienced.  It took place on xxxxx.  The pigeons were coming from xxxxx. Jules and Gerard were already in position when I arrived. The flight had just begun (9.30am).

Jdog was to arrive at around midday. At that time we had around 90 on the clicker. The pigeons were mainly heading out to the wheat a few fields over. They continuously poured through, and those that flew over the well spread out guns were generally taken down. We all had some stormers (Jdog's words) and we shot pretty well.

The pick up was arduous, as many birds fell in the standing rape. The four dogs did well, bringing back bird after bird. I had 250 on the clicker, but I couldn't have seen all the birds fall. Me may have killed 270 or 280. We picked up well over 230.*

What a fantastic day.

80% of the pigeons that went through didn't even get fired at.

*The final pick up turned out to be 251.

That sounds like a cracking day.

I don’t keep a game book, but this is an extract from my great, great grandfather’s when he was gamekeeper at Lilleshall Hall. 

November 26th, 1898 His Grace The Duke of Westminster 
HRH Prince of Teck 
Colonel Cotes 
Henry Tollemache, Esq 
Colonel Bridgeman 
Colonel Slaney 
Captain Peel 
Lord Lichfield 
Lord Henry Grosvenor
1260 Pheasants 
20 Partridges 
107 Hares 
42 Rabbits 
5 Woodcocks

I have kept records in a fashion since I was about 10years old.  Reading through some of the entries in various game  books I found this entry for 1978 on Hillfield Farm, Solihull.  Now if your worried about shootings future this should stir some anxiety. If you go on Goodle maps and put in Glaston Drive, Solihull, then that road was where I shot 311 woodpigeon, 3 geese, 1 woodcock 4 foxes, 1 snipe, 10 carrion crows and 12 squirrels in 1978.  The whole area is now under bricks and concrete and the farm no longer exists.   Progress.

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have kept records in a fashion since I was about 10years old.  Reading through some of the entries in various game  books I found this entry for 1978 on Hillfield Farm, Solihull.  Now if your worried about shootings future this should stir some anxiety. If you go on Goodle maps and put in Glaston Drive, Solihull, then that road was where I shot 311 woodpigeon, 3 geese, 1 woodcock 4 foxes, 1 snipe, 10 carrion crows and 12 squirrels in 1978.  The whole area is now under bricks and concrete and the farm no longer exists.   Progress.

50 odd years ago I used to shoot the countryside around Beoley and Church Hill in Worcestershire.....it’s now a massive housing estate on the suburbs of Redditch!.......In those days mostly used a rickety old English hammer gun, but on this occasion I had borrowed a Luigi Franchi 5 shot auto....creeping up to a small pond, which often held a duck or two, I flushed probably 30 mallard........I had four dead in the air........the fourth empty shell lodged half in, half out of the ejection port.....so I missed the chance to get a full house!.........memories!

I am sure many of us have similar stories here. From 1961 until 1980ish I used to shoot a piece of ground bordering a local estate. There were loads of grey partridge, a few red legs, overspill pheasants from the estate, pigeons and rabbits in abundance and a regular goose flight line. The place was transformed into what was at the time the largest privately owned housing estate in Europe. Rather knackered it a bit.

33 minutes ago, London Best said:

I am sure many of us have similar stories here. From 1961 until 1980ish I used to shoot a piece of ground bordering a local estate. There were loads of grey partridge, a few red legs, overspill pheasants from the estate, pigeons and rabbits in abundance and a regular goose flight line. The place was transformed into what was at the time the largest privately owned housing estate in Europe. Rather knackered it a bit.

When it come to building estates the progress was a bit slower around our way , in 1976 when we had the drought throughout the Summer we had a very good year for English Partridges with loads of covey's into double figures , we had a farm shoot in September just for E / Partridges , at the time they were just starting to build an industrial site boarding the marsh , we had one drive where a Partridge was hit and fell on this building's car park , this had chain link fencing all the round and the Partridge was lying in the empty park , one of the guns had the bright idea of lifting the bottom of the fence high enough so his dog could get through , this he did and his dog went and picked the Partridge up and was back in no time , we carried on and finished up with just under 100 English Partridges .

Most of the farm fields what were there are now houses but the marshes that border the industrial site are still there and I still have the shooting on them , happy days.