Robbing holiday firms

Jacko3275

Was supposed to be best man at my mates wedding at the end of may in kefalonia but due to circumstances they a postponing for a year . Phoned tui today to alter holiday to next year and they have downgraded us to bnb instead of full board and charged us an extra 250 quid for the pleasure when asked why the price is increasing so much the answer was demand.. so anyone going away next year expect to pay school holiday prices ☹️☹️☹️☹️

56 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

That is tough.  Amazes me the cruise companies are still advertising for business. Why anyone would go on one of those ships just blows my mind.  I'll stay home and spend my extra pennies on some more driven days

Think if we get another dog in the future we will try and do holiday in the UK. Can take the dogs as well then :) 

We were booked on an Easyjet flight to Belfast in April. Easyjet email to say rebook on line, no charges. When I try to change flights for November, all I get is "all flights booked". So I  twig that it may be the seats that we had originally booked are not available on the November flight. 

I then started a new booking for the November flight, established which seats were available, changed the April flight seats to the available November flight seats (at extra cost, of course), and then tried changing the flight. Bingo, it worked for the flight out.

I then do the same thing for the return flight. No go, no flights available and no means of contacting Easyjet - phone lines are not working. 

So at present we are leaving Belfast in April before we actually go on November. 🤔

Anybody any ideas on how to sort this?

Easyjet cancelled my flights to Corfu return. They keep emailing to select an alternative flight but I want a refund. They are obliged to give one but impossible to contact. If anyone knows how to resolve this mess please advise. Thanks

The airline industry is navigating through uncharted waters right now - as we all are.  It has experienced dramatic turn-downs before i.e. in the aftermath of 9/11 and bounced back but nothing as dramatic or globally far reaching as the current situation.   Despite the government's talk of 12 weeks of movement constraints it seems possible that we are possibly facing 12-18 months of 3 month lock-down/relaxation cycles as the virus works it's way through the population and the health services around the world do their best to cope.

The profit margin for even a major carrier is reckoned to be less than 3% of revenue - OK 3% of a very big number but with big expensive assets to pay for too then that cash evaporates quickly.  It is a fact that some of the airlines out there will simply run out of money before the travel restrictions are lifted.  So if anyone is thinking of booking flights the consider the following:

1) No one knows for sure how long the current crisis will last.   There are around 67 million people in the UK and so far around 6,000 are known to have been infected with something that was only discovered on the 11th of December 2019 in China, we have a long, long way to go before we are out of this.

2) Global air travel is likely to be restricted to some destinations for years to come - other countries probably won't be as successful at controlling the virus spread as we'd hope for.  

3) Many carriers will go out of business - make sure any flight booked is ATOL protected.  Don't expect to be able to fly anywhere for many months though.

4) Talking to airlines over the last week or so there is a feeling that once travel restrictions are lifted that there will be enormous pent-up demand for the remaining carriers that are still operating to satisfy - less competition means the prices will rise.

Edited by Cosmicblue
Typo

40 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Maybe after this we should all consider buying british and holidaying in britain to help get the economy back on its feet 

It's just as bad here. Sykes Holiday Cottages are refusing to give people refunds for holidays which aren't happening and only offering a credit for a let if taken over the next two years (at much inflated prices) They take 25% of the owners money as well, so they are ripping off both the customers and property owners!

Edited by trickyh
Spelling

4 minutes ago, trickyh said:

It's just as bad here. Sykes Holiday Cottages are refusing to give people refunds for holidays which aren't happening and only offering a credit for a let if taken over the next two years (at much inflated prices) They take 25% of the owners money as well, so they are ripping off both the customers and property owners!

Where is here?

On 27/03/2020 at 06:59, trickyh said:

We had next  week in Cornwall booked with Homeaway, spoke to them last week and they were actively encouraging their owners to accept alterations and we had our week moved to next year free of charge, which was nice!

On 26/03/2020 at 16:47, Jacko3275 said:

Was supposed to be best man at my mates wedding at the end of may in kefalonia but due to circumstances they a postponing for a year . Phoned tui today to alter holiday to next year and they have downgraded us to bnb instead of full board and charged us an extra 250 quid for the pleasure when asked why the price is increasing so much the answer was demand.. so anyone going away next year expect to pay school holiday prices ☹️☹️☹️☹️

Save your money there won't be a next holiday year if you look at the history of the last pandamic it went away then came back twice as strong estimated deaths 50,000000 to 75,000000 so enjoy what you have now belive or not I am usually a glass half full but this is serious I would like to be on here next year with everyone taking the **** out of me pointing out how wrong I was. 

We have experienced an opposite reaction from our cancelled trips.
P&O cruises, no problem, Premier Inn, no problem, P&O ferries, no problem, 2 French Hotels, no problem, British Airways, no problem.
All offered full refunds, or in some cases an inducement to transfer to a future booking.

Just remember the ones that are taking the P and don't forget them.