Robbing holiday firms

Jacko3275

I would wait as long as possible before re booking, most likely most of the travel firms will have gone bust long before next year. if you rebook now you will lose your original amount plus the extra they will want to charge you form rebooking.

On 26/03/2020 at 20:32, amateur said:

We were booked on an Easyjet flight to Belfast in April. Easyjet email to say rebook on line, no charges. When I try to change flights for November, all I get is "all flights booked". So I  twig that it may be the seats that we had originally booked are not available on the November flight. 

I then started a new booking for the November flight, established which seats were available, changed the April flight seats to the available November flight seats (at extra cost, of course), and then tried changing the flight. Bingo, it worked for the flight out.

I then do the same thing for the return flight. No go, no flights available and no means of contacting Easyjet - phone lines are not working. 

So at present we are leaving Belfast in April before we actually go on November. 🤔

Anybody any ideas on how to sort this?

Problem solved!

The online system finally worked properly this morning and I was able to reschedule the April flight.

Now I just hope that Easyjet are still flying in November.

Edited by amateur

Our flight to L.A yesterday was cancelled. Managed to get refunds for the hotels, car hire, parking etc. Then the flights. Virgin kindly offered to change the departure date "free of charge" which was big of them. I got a refund instead which they said may take 100 days to be credited back to may card. 100 days to press a button? Is keeping my money for 3 months for something they haven't supplied even legal?

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Our flight to L.A yesterday was cancelled. Managed to get refunds for the hotels, car hire, parking etc. Then the flights. Virgin kindly offered to change the departure date "free of charge" which was big of them. I got a refund instead which they said may take 100 days to be credited back to may card. 100 days to press a button? Is keeping my money for 3 months for something they haven't supplied even legal?

100 days for them to go bankrupt

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Contact the Financial Obudsman...very helpful

did you pay by credit card?.......If so contact the card provider as your contract is with them and not Virgin ( I think )

4 hours ago, walshie said:

Our daughter had originally bought our Belfast flights from FlyBe, paid with her credit card. As soon as they went bust she claimed on her card which was refunded last week.

Either Virgin will pay or  your credit card provider

It's really nice to see people planning for the future and for normal travel to resume later this year - I really wish it were that simple.

The brutal fact is that the whole human race is facing one of it's biggest challenges in recorded history, probably millions of people are going to die around the world in the coming months as we have a formidable enemy in our midst that kills indiscriminately, we can't see it and yet 7-14 days after infection its victims are in big trouble as there are no drugs that fight the virus all the medical staff can do is alleviate the symptoms and hope the body can fight the virus off.

It seems unlikely that there will freedom of movement for discretionary travel this year and a sizeable chunk of next year and even then the destinations will have to be approved and in control of their own outbreaks.  The travel carriers will take bookings because they need the cash - your money.  The sound guidance would be to hold on to your money until the situation moderates, there is still a long way to go.  

The travel carriers will take bookings because they need the cash - your money.

This. +100%. Their bottom line isn't your welfare nor the welfare of the people employed in the in resort hotels they might use but their director's dividends here in the UK. Sure they'll be taking your booking and your money but you can be sure as sure that at the present time that none of that money will be being paid in advance to the hotel at the resort where you future booking is for. It'll be in the bank accounts that the directors of that travel company draw their dividends from whilst "Taxpayer UK" picks up the cost for its call centre workers in the UK it has sent on "home furlough". Don't advance a penny and if offered a credit against a future holiday don't accept it. ABTA and IATA guaranteed? This pandemic has the potential to bust both ABTA and IATA. Then where will you be? Get your money out!

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, Cosmicblue said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52084003

Time to see if you can get your money back....

Unable to access anything other than spending more money on seats, meals, extra baggage etc, on a flight that has been cancelled.

Was due to fly out on 15th April, nobody answers phone as it ends the call after a recorded message, this is ridiculous just give me my money back!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

Unable to access anything other than spending more money on seats, meals, extra baggage etc, on a flight that has been cancelled.

Was due to fly out on 15th April, nobody answers phone as it ends the call after a recorded message, this is ridiculous just give me my money back!!!!!!!!!!

Is it easyJet you’re booked with?

On 27/03/2020 at 06:59, trickyh said:

It's just as bad here. Sykes Holiday Cottages are refusing to give people refunds for holidays which aren't happening and only offering a credit for a let if taken over the next two years (at much inflated prices) They take 25% of the owners money as well, so they are ripping off both the customers and property owners!

I keep on getting contacted about taking a job at this place - and I saw last week that they are still advertising roles - but there seems to be a lot of churn at the company which is never a good sign!!!

On 31/03/2020 at 12:13, amateur said:

If you paid with a credit card, you have no worries - unless the bank goes belly up, of course 😂

I am trying to get cash back from SA airline as my African trip is cancelled. They refuse and are close to going bust so back to credit card and they are snowed under with claims 🙂