FAC or 12ft/lbs

Cawdor118

On 27/03/2020 at 23:37, villaman said:

I have FAC .25 impact pushing out 70 ftlbs with 34 gr pellet and spot on accuracy out to stupid ranges 

Also have a FAC .22 fx crown pushing out 40 ftlbs with H&N slug , these slugs are a game changer . Laser accuracy at 125 yards , take rabbits at this distance often with a straight kill . This gun is the one I take out of impact , CZ 457 .22lr and 17 HMR 

Why have you transitioned to slugs rather than pellets? Is it purely better knock down power? 

Also, why the crown over the impact? 

13 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

Why have you transitioned to slugs rather than pellets? Is it purely better knock down power? 

Also, why the crown over the impact? 

Slugs take the wind better , far more accurate at longer range . The only reason I use the crown more because it’s.22 and can shoot slugs . At the moment we are waiting for .25 slugs to come , after testing H&N .25 slugs with great results  then it will be game changer again , although 33.9 mk2 JSB are very accurate even at 100 + yards 

12ft/lbs .22 up to 30 yds  , 12ft/lbs .177 up to 40 yds ,   FAC .22 30ft/lbs up to 55yds , .22 sub sonic up to 75yds . .22WMR up to 125 yds.

Only given the right weather conditions .

This is what I shoot according to MY, own personal limitations . Better shots than I could and, probably would , do better with the same or  different equipment. 

Shot placement is ALL important, to me as power is nothing without control.

On 01/04/2020 at 20:15, Longbower said:

Shot placement is ALL important, to me as power is nothing without control.

This all day long. You still need to hit the vital zones or you’re injuring an animal that flies or runs off to die elsewhere. 

I know some of the Daystate airguns have adjustable power settings, but they’re expensive even the second hand ones. I picked up my SH BSA R10 FAC for £450 - cracking little rifle. 

On 31/03/2020 at 08:59, villaman said:

Slugs take the wind better , far more accurate at longer range . The only reason I use the crown more because it’s.22 and can shoot slugs . At the moment we are waiting for .25 slugs to come , after testing H&N .25 slugs with great results  then it will be game changer again , although 33.9 mk2 JSB are very accurate even at 100 + yards 

I’ve just put an order in for a pack of 50 H&N HP slugs to give them a try. Is accuracy the main benefit? 

21 hours ago, Drummer70 said:

I’ve just put an order in for a pack of 50 H&N HP slugs to give them a try. Is accuracy the main benefit? 

Accuracy at longer range ,they will out preform pellets  and hit hard . Been taking pigeons out to 80 yards today with these slugs  they just fold and dead before they fall of the branches. No flapping on the way down just totally dead 

On 10/04/2020 at 23:18, villaman said:

Accuracy at longer range ,they will out preform pellets  and hit hard . Been taking pigeons out to 80 yards today with these slugs  they just fold and dead before they fall of the branches. No flapping on the way down just totally dead 

My R10 is firing at approximately 27fpe - will this be enough power for the slugs?

On 14/04/2020 at 19:01, Drummer70 said:

My R10 is firing at approximately 27fpe - will this be enough power for the slugs?

I say you need at least 30 + , only say that because my mate tried then in his wildcat @ 28fpe and not that good . We managed to up the power to 33 fpe and shooting great and accurate 

give them ago probably the best bet 

If your gun likes the JSB .25 heavies out to 100yds they will take some beating in terms of accuracy..fair enough slugs drift a little less in wind and are a bit flatter but the .25 heavies are very good and at 100yds in the right rifle more accuarate than slugs imo.

Edited by Mini Magnum

Why not download a free ballistics program and have a play with different calibres and power levels?   .177 at 18/19ft-lbs is a useful rifle and is available as a springer, if that's your thing.  .22 running at the mid-20s ft-lb wise can get the same trajectory as your .177 HFT or FT rifle and lets you shoot to well known holdover points.  .22 at 30 or 40 odd ft-lbs is a whole different animal to a 12ft-lb rifle as Villaman says.  .303 at 100 ft-lbs an eye opener too.  

Of course you could go the whole hog...  ;)