Crow decoys

craig1982

I treated some of my full body ones with that black fuzzy stuff and there was no doubt they worked, I had far less birds flare away.    The problem with crow decoys is they eventually go grey and the black fuzzy stuff seems to keep that serious black shade. I think you can buy them ready covered now.  Have not used the Sillosocks so cannot comment on those.  When my full bodied ones started to go grey I also used to give a light spray with WD40 then rub them all over with some kitchen tissue, this brought the blackness back quite well but on temporarily.

Many moons ago I did prepare some real ones by injecting them with formalin which sets them solid/hard. Used to be able to get it from chemists but don't know if that is still possible now.  They where brilliant for a couple years then started to fall to pieces.

Edited by Walker570

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/03/2020 at 20:15, craig1982 said:

Looking to get a few more crow decoys, What is the opinion of Sillosocks are they better than full body plastic ones.

Ye they're good. I like to make my own decoys with a black plastic bag on a stick. The most i've had using them is a mixed bag of 94 woodies and corvids. 

Light, cheap and very effective. Put 20/30 of them out and the birds drop straight in.

20200421_161424.jpg

On 21/04/2020 at 16:16, Pigeon_corvid_control said:

Ye they're good. I like to make my own decoys with a black plastic bag on a stick. The most i've had using them is a mixed bag of 94 woodies and corvids. 

Light, cheap and very effective. Put 20/30 of them out and the birds drop straight in.

20200421_161424.jpg

+1used to use the black bale wrap and id put a BIG pattern out (think 30-40 triangles of plastic on sticks one corner being the head ) used to put them fairly tight together around a foot between them and I shot literally hundreds of crows over them on silaged fields. especially effective in a bit of breeze at first light but that's not to say the crows wont hover in the breeze just a couple foot above them looking for landing space all day. Don't always need expensive kit! 

On 21/04/2020 at 16:16, Pigeon_corvid_control said:

20200421_161424.jpg

Have you got a close up pic m8 as fancying making some  , at present using plastic decoys.

On 28/04/2020 at 18:13, KillStone said:

+1used to use the black bale wrap and id put a BIG pattern out (think 30-40 triangles of plastic on sticks one corner being the head ) used to put them fairly tight together around a foot between them and I shot literally hundreds of crows over them on silaged fields. especially effective in a bit of breeze at first light but that's not to say the crows wont hover in the breeze just a couple foot above them looking for landing space all day. Don't always need expensive kit! 

Did you literally just use a triangle shape and not a crow shape? Interested ?

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Have you got a close up pic m8 as fancying making some  , at present using plastic decoys.

I do yes. approx. 30cm in length and about 15-20cm across the widest part, then id have the widest part as the back end and the "Arrow point" on a stick in the ground just slightly shorter than the 30cm length. then as the breeze reaches it, it will freely bounce and move around. I found they work best in big dense patterns and crows used to come in very readily. I was once shown the trick by an old farmer who had trouble with crows on his standing maze, I would've been about 14 at the time and he whipped up half a dozen of these stuck them in the actual maze stem so it hovered above the standing crop and left me to it with a few boxes of carts. If I remember correctly I shot steadily all day with around 80 ish in the bag and have had a good few 100+ bags this way since that so definitely works!

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2020 at 16:10, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Sorry for the delayed reply - I haven't been on in a while. For some reason I can't upload a photo as they're all o er the allowed size. If you type "How to make a crow rag decoy" in youtube, you'll find a tutorial on there. I stole the idea from the lad that makes them. 

They are honestly fantastic. Lightweight, portable and cheap.