Nothing better to do?

Dave-G

Water left in a kettle overnight. 

I always put enough water back in the kettle for next time if I make the tea or coffeee so it only needs switching on while preparing the cups etc.

Wife empties the 'stale' water in the kettle then adds more water fresh from the tap. 

i point out that some of the water has been boiled so is likely better left in...

Discuss if bored enough lol.

my mrs has always done this..............totally unfathomable.........well there you go ...the opposite sex

my mate a few years ago was complaining about the taste of his tea and coffee for months........anyway to cut a long story short...his mrs had a thing about limescale and regularly used to de-lime the kettle with toilet limescale remover..........and however much you would clean it and rinse it you could never get rid of the taste.....:sick:

Edited by ditchman

Slightly off key, but on my tour round on my police motor cyle back in the 60s I used to call in at various garages and factories to pas the time of day, glean any info etc., and maybe have a quick cuppa whilst doing so, all good police work.  One such place was a small village garage/body shop and they always had a good cuppa on. Well they then took on the servicing of my rally car and my wife was dropping me off one day and we went in and the owner said, put the kettle on and make a cuppa.  I started to fill the kettle and my wife picked the tea pot up with just two fingers, you know how they do it with anyhting they consider disgusting and started to scrub the utensil which had an 1/8th inch at least of tea stain and maybe a touch of Castrol R and a mixed rainbow of car paint on it.  My garage friend started to scream at her and she almost dropped it.  Don't you know a tea pot should have a patina to make a good cuppa love, he said. My wife exited the garage at speed to wait in the car.    Over 50yrs and she has never forgotten that dressing down and true to say our tea pot does get a wipe on the outside but the inside has that patina and you'll get a good cuppa should you call.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Slightly off key, but on my tour round on my police motor cyle back in the 60s I used to call in at various garages and factories to pas the time of day, glean any info etc., and maybe have a quick cuppa whilst doing so, all good police work.  One such place was a small village garage/body shop and they always had a good cuppa on. Well they then took on the servicing of my rally car and my wife was dropping me off one day and we went in and the owner said, put the kettle on and make a cuppa.  I started to fill the kettle and my wife picked the tea pot up with just two fingers, you know how they do it with anyhting they consider disgusting and started to scrub the utensil which had an 1/8th inch at least of tea stain and maybe a touch of Castrol R and a mixed rainbow of car paint on it.  My garage friend started to scream at her and she almost dropped it.  Don't you know a tea pot should have a patina to make a good cuppa love, he said. My wife exited the garage at speed to wait in the car.    Over 50yrs and she has never forgotten that dressing down and true to say our tea pot does get a wipe on the outside but the inside has that patina and you'll get a good cuppa should you call.

hello, not one of those police noddy motor cycles Walker ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

20 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

i spent 15 years working as a garage mechanic , the two things that i remember most vividly , are garage tea pots , and garage toilets . both items looked and smelled the same :lol:.

Edited by mel b3

17 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

What a villiers with a handle starter i here you cry, -----------------------------  Cabin fever really kicking in now , doing a 1000 piece jigsaw. 

hello, oh i remember these very well, 😄 getting back to the original post on my third mug of tea now ( Yorkshire ) as for the crud in the kettle when mine gets that bad i just go and buy another, a fiver from Tesco, how mean is that:lol:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

42 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

mate of mine in his first job ......started off as a tea boy for a bunch of paddies digging fin drains on the edge of a new road........thought he would make an impression and clean the aluminium tea pot with 1/4 of tanin inside..................

WRONG...:big_boss:................they nearly linched him and wouldnt speak to him for a week...

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, oh i remember these very well, 😄 getting back to the original post on my third mug of tea now ( Yorkshire ) as for the crud in the kettle when mine gets that bad i just go and buy another, a fiver from Tesco, how mean is that:lol:

I always wonder where in yorkshire they grow tea. ;) 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That has just brought memories flooding back ....

When I left school I started in my local garage and stayed there for 12 years before it closed .. in that time I built up a really good friendship with other garages in the area .

One of them belonged to a guy called geoff Atkinson (who was a well known motorcycle sidecar racer in the 60/70,s ) he was the only garage in the area that welded ally.

He was also well known in "the moggy minor" brigade as he was one of only a couple of bodyshops in the uk that converted 2 door minors into convertibles ... any how I digress... his cup meant to be white well it was dotted with paint & filler on the outside and  was nearly black on inside with built up tea stain.

I once made a cuppa for him while he was welding an ally sump off jag for me and asked where the clean cups were and the look I got was mint followed by the lecture of how tea tasted disgusting from "clean cups" 😂😂

Edited by hodge911
correction

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, not one of those police noddy motor cycles Walker ?

I learned to ride on one of those and then I was the only one on the unit, even as a probationer, allowed to take the bike out.  I always wanted to be on the Traffic Dept., and applied after my two years probation. There wasn't a space for car drivers but a spare bike . The only thing I had ridden at that point was the Velo and my Lambretta scooter, neverthe less I found the Triumph police bikes  a dream to ride in comparison.   Those where fun years and we drank a lot of tea back then:yes:

Started work in 1964 the welder had a billycan that was never cleaned one Saturday I put washing powder in it to soak over Sunday I went in Monday morning washed the billycan out it was spot less but the ruddy thing leaked like a sieve he went ape**** at me I never cleaned the mugs or anything else for the lads

out 

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I learned to ride on one of those and then I was the only one on the unit, even as a probationer, allowed to take the bike out.  I always wanted to be on the Traffic Dept., and applied after my two years probation. There wasn't a space for car drivers but a spare bike . The only thing I had ridden at that point was the Velo and my Lambretta scooter, neverthe less I found the Triumph police bikes  a dream to ride in comparison.   Those where fun years and we drank a lot of tea back then:yes:

hello, was that in the old Berkshire area before they changed the counties ? there was a police officer motor cycle rider with a Velo stationed local, we had an old garage on the high street just like you said, owner always wore dirty overalls but he did help us lads with our motor bikes😄

2 hours ago, oowee said:

I always wonder where in yorkshire they grow tea.  

:lol: its not my usual tea but taking quite a liking to it, i still have some proper tea from my time in China, you would not believe they like their afternoon teas, was take to a tea house as they call it, more like a 2 story dance hall with chandeliers. 

First cup in the morning in the crew room at Lossie started tasting iffy but OK mid morning. Slowly got worse until OK at lunchtime. Off I go on a course and on my return a few weeks later remark that the tea is different. Turned out that it got even worse after I'd pushed off until finally when the dead pigeon in the water tank eventually burst it became undrinkable. 🤢

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

parents wouldnt let me loose on a rayleigh runabout....

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Slightly off key, but on my tour round on my police motor cyle back in the 60s I used to call in at various garages and factories to pas the time of day, glean any info etc., and maybe have a quick cuppa whilst doing so, all good police work.  One such place was a small village garage/body shop .....

Are you PC Walker from Heartbeat?

I rather liked the LE Velo.   Travelled quite often between Bedford and Worcestershire on the 3-speed, hand start/hand change model over the 1964-65 winter.   When the roads were icy I would have preferred to keep both hands on the bars, the 6V headlamp only gave out about 1 candle power, and a Lambretta could easily overtake me, but it was a nice bike for pottering about the country lanes, and in excellent condition.   I foolishly traded it in for a s/h Minivan, complete with tin-worm.

From 1974-77 I rode to work on a 4-speed, kick start/foot change model, with Zener diode 12V electrics and vastly improved lighting.   Never had any mechanical problems with either of those bikes, and of course they didn’t spray your trousers with oil in the manner of a Bantam or Tiger Cub.