Dna

pork chop

They are best guesses depending on the size of the database.

The percentages given by these tests are generally accurate at a continental level,  less reliable at national level and completely useless at county level. 

i.e. they can tell you are european , probably from scotland but not from aberdeen.

If you have your tooth enamel tested they can tell where you grew up in the world and even the area of UK.  The minerals and other stuff is locked in your teeth.

The likes of Time Team and watching the fetching Dr Roberts and Miranda has some educational value at times.

Edited by figgy

19 hours ago, pork chop said:

Any one ever done the dna test where you can trace where your ancestors came from ,Saxon,Viking ect

82% English ... 6% Scandinavian ... 2% Irish ... The other 4% Normandy  which was Viking occupied.   No African suppose this is why I have Red hair and blue eyes.

As Hamster has put we all came out of the bowl of Africa in the beginning.

Being from the North East when my wife went to have her eyes checked for laser surgery, the optician said lots from our region can't have it due to Viking genes and the thin corneas that come from Scandinavian people's 

Luckily she's from pirates and bandits, according to when one of her family had some history done. 😂

22 hours ago, pork chop said:

Any one ever done the dna test where you can trace where your ancestors came from ,Saxon,Viking ect

No need to pay pc, we are all mongrels, the proportions just vary?

Professor Alice always worth a gander?

Edited by old man

20 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

How do you know they don’t just make it up? 

Send off two samples the exact same, but claim your different people, and see what they send back? 

There’s already quite a few journos done exactly this, and identical twins with different addresses, and the results are as different as you can imagine - like a fortune teller they will tell you what you want to hear

money for old tosh, and also from a security POV a bit dangerous as they are also keeping your DNA profile in a database searchable by third parties

23 hours ago, pork chop said:

Had mine done a few years ago when doing my family tree, when I got the results back it was like looking at some chemical formula, but what I did was put the results out to study groups, one interesting result was from a group studying the Picts from the far east of Scotland, seems my DNA contains an high degree of matches to these people, the rest of the makeup was the same as most people, bits of DNA from all over the UK, Europe and the route out of Africa.

Apart from the DNA match to the Picts there was not a lot else it helped me with while doing my family tree but that’s not to say someone may find a really interesting link to someone famous or even Royalty.

Little about the Picts, if anyone is interested… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts