Semi automatic

Thommo52

4 minutes ago, impala59 said:

For what it’s worth, and while many of us are stuck at home, how about taking out any duck plugs or capacity restricters and seeing how many you can get in the tube. (Dummies not live please!) If it’s more than 2 then call your FEO and ask his opinion 

And this....If you can remove a plug from your S2 magazine and cram a few more in there, then you’re in possession of a S1 shotgun. 
Saying that I do know of a bloke who told me he could get three in his S2 Browning Gold Hunter. It had a 3” or 3.5” chamber; I can’t recall which now. He discovered this one morning out on the Solway, he told me, after he’d fired three shots and went to reload, only to find the breech was closed. Slipping it back a touch he realised there was still one in the breech. 🙂

On 28/03/2020 at 19:45, Scully said:

And this....If you can remove a plug from your S2 magazine and cram a few more in there, then you’re in possession of a S1 shotgun. 
Saying that I do know of a bloke who told me he could get three in his S2 Browning Gold Hunter. It had a 3” or 3.5” chamber; I can’t recall which now. He discovered this one morning out on the Solway, he told me, after he’d fired three shots and went to reload, only to find the breech was closed. Slipping it back a touch he realised there was still one in the breech. 🙂

The only ways that can happen is

1. no crimp (is S1shotgun, not, I believe, permitted on the foreshore)

2. crimp in wrong place ( again is S1 shotgun)

3. short cartridges loaded, 3 x 2” will go into the magazine of a 3 1/2” chambered, correctly crimped gun (which makes a mockery of this badly thought out restriction law*, although I doubt even a Browning Gold Hunter would cycle them and the thought of someone on the foreshore not knowing what cartridges he had is somewhat chilling)

* the restriction of “multi shot” shotguns was a knee jerk piece of legislation from then Home Secretary, Douglas Hurd after the tragic Hungerford shootings where he sought to appease the media, public and anti gun lobby while protecting his landed gentry peers. It was pathetic then, it remains so today. 

Edited by impala59

12 hours ago, impala59 said:

Likewise I don’t doubt you, just find it a little worrying that these things happen and seem to not be investigated, if it was me, I would want to know exactly what happened 

Its not deemed to be a real problem. A 3.5" semi-auto will hold more than 2 shorter shells, but the barrel will be stamped 2 3/4", 3", 3 1/2" - it won't take more than two of those. A standard 2 3/4" semi auto would hold more than 2 shells if you made the shells short enough, but they would be outside the specifications of what the guns is designed to work with. 

In the past I've purchased s1 guns very cheaply and had them delivered directly to an RFD for restriction and proofing as S2. The difficulty with that now is that the auction houses want to put the guns on your ticket before delivering to an RFD - so that option maybe closed. 

Who's ever going to check. I know we must never break the law but how often is a semi checked to see it's capacity?

I had such a sect 2 gun with the correct capacity on my renewal.  Very efficient  FEO who checked every serial number but not the capacity of my semi.

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Who's ever going to check. I know we must never break the law but how often is a semi checked to see it's capacity?

I had such a sect 2 gun with the correct capacity on my renewal.  Very efficient  FEO who checked every serial number but not the capacity of my semi.

This. I’ve had numerous autos over the years but it’s never occurred to me to try to get more than two in a S2 magazine. 🤷‍♂️