Hammer time.

fatchap

Taking my allotted walk today with the woofer I found these two bolts in a skip.

20200327-164813.jpg

Shame they are galvanized will have to grind that off before they go in the forge, learnt a valuable lesson by not removing the galvanization first, I was as sick as a dog after.

Maybe a few knives, may even weld them end to end and have a go at making a samurai sword they are quite chunky so will be a mission stretching them out one thing I do know my right arm will be a rival for popeye's.

8 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

If you going to grind that nasty  stuff of , please wear the best mask you have , and do it outside in the fresh air . It is not stuff to be taken likely .

I know makes you really sick. will be doing all of the work outside, Didn't take it off last time I put it straight in the forge, the fumes, I was puking everywhere felt like **** for a few days.

2 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

When burnt it releases toxic fumes that if I remember correctly is the same fumes used in poison gas during ww1 trench warfare 

Zinc oxide is one of them. metal fume fever is one of its names. thankfully not copped a bad blast of it but I know it can be really bad, shuts you down organ by organ, starts with flu like symptoms, sweet taste in the mouth and its pretty much down hill from then. Made me cough so bad I was sick. Still felt rough a few days on.

Be safe m8 I'm looking forward to whatever you make from them your a talented person .

I haven't forgotten that I enquired about buying blanks from you .... just had a lot on my plate with both my health (collapsed with a seizure in November) and my mrs health (she's been tested for Parkinson's ) on top of her epilepsy ect ....

14 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Be safe m8 I'm looking forward to whatever you make from them your a talented person .

I haven't forgotten that I enquired about buying blanks from you .... just had a lot on my plate with both my health (collapsed with a seizure in November) and my mrs health (she's been tested for Parkinson's ) on top of her epilepsy ect ....

Sorry to hear that mate wish you both well. Lets us know about blanks when ever your ready. 

All the best

4 hours ago, fatchap said:

Taking my allotted walk today with the woofer I found these two bolts in a skip

Maybe a few knives, may even weld them end to end and have a go at making a samurai sword 

That is a serious re/upcycle! looking forward to this one, take care with the nasty stuff!

If you’re going to have a bonfire you could put them in there to burn it off 🤭

although you must like hammering and hard work turning the old bolts into a knife 😂😂

put the same effort into a good (known)quality bit of steel 

you do great work please don’t compromise your skill with the unknown steel if you’re short in these troubled times pm me your address and I’ll send you a couple of bits 

all the best 

OF 

10 hours ago, Old farrier said:

although you must like hammering and hard work turning the old bolts into a knife 😂😂

you do great work please don’t compromise your skill with the unknown steel if you’re short in these troubled times pm me your address and I’ll send you a couple of bits 

all the best 

OF 

Lovely offer . PW  at it's best. 

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

all the best 

OF 

Yes much better to apply the same amount of effort to known materials and no health risk.:good:

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

all the best 

OF 

Thats a very nice offer thank you.

These two bolts unfortunately are Grade 8 which makes them very hard grade 5 would have been nice. High carbon Alloy steel. The Alloy bit is what worries me as I have no idea what else is in the mix, probably chromium a dash of Molybdenum who knows even kryptonite knowing my luck. Grade 8 bolts are strong very strong but also brittle, I could try annealing them 3-5 times to see if they will soften down a bit. Or I could chuck em in the bin and take you up on your offer. Its the challenge I like but this might be a tad too much plus theres the obvious health risk.

Edited by fatchap

1 minute ago, fatchap said:

Thats a very nice offer thank you.

These two bolts unfortunately are Grade 8 which makes them very hard grade 5 would have been nice. High carbon Alloy steel. The Alloy bit is what worries me as I have no idea what else is in the mix, probably chromium a dash of Molybdenum who knows even kryptonite knowing my luck. Grade 8 bolts are strong very strong but also brittle, I could try annealing them 3-5 times to see if they will soften down a bit. I'll see how it goes.  

There’s a bit here if you’re needing some 

very prone to shattering if you’re working at the wrong temperature although you know that 

be careful please when you’re taking the galvanise off 👍