Strip and scrub

Farmboy91

Well boredom got the better of me this afternoon so I had the cabinet out for the above.

The Affinity took about 2 minutes to get apart, then another 20 to get back together, with a little help from YouTube 😬

The Squires Bingham was up next, havent done this once since I brought it, another one that took around 2 minutes to pull apart then another hour to piece back together again 😂 (again, with a little help from YouTube).

Finished up with the missus 687, peice of cake 10 minutes including a good scrub with the brush so she's happy.

Have any of you lot had the cabinet out yet?

Edited by Farmboy91

It's on the list of things to do. I'll strip the browning gold hunter, mossberg 500 and the valmet. The valmet seems to only set the second trigger if I use carts heavier than the 28g clays carts I use, so probably hopefully full of gunk. No doubt I'll screw it up and be on here for advice on how to fix it. Might redo the stock as well. 

Well annoyed as I have a excellent condition lanber on hold for me but obviously can't pick it up. Not that I can use a o/u anyway, I'd be better off throwing the carts at the birds 😂

Edited by strimmer_13

I've been doing little bits here and there on the greener stock, it's not far off done now. Don't want to over do it because I'll fast run out of shooting related ideas. To be honest if it wasn't for YouTube I'm not sure I would have got the pump back together.

That's ok, I'm sure that would count as your warning shots 😂.

I've got an old SMK underlever here too, was my second gun. I'm half tempted to have a play around with that too.

4 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Yeah I believe that could be the one, it's not much younger than the 1790 I posted about in the other thread.

First spring rifle I ever had. Got my first rabbit with that, was so pleased I got my German shepherd to carry it back for me, and it was pitch black by the time I got back home, I knocked on the kitchen window to show mum as I could see she was sat there doing course work, all she saw was a bloody dead rabbit hanging in mid air in the dark, promptly **** herself and screamed. Man o man I had the slipper around my backside that night 😅

30 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

First spring rifle I ever had. Got my first rabbit with that, was so pleased I got my German shepherd to carry it back for me, and it was pitch black by the time I got back home, I knocked on the kitchen window to show mum as I could see she was sat there doing course work, all she saw was a bloody dead rabbit hanging in mid air in the dark, promptly **** herself and screamed. Man o man I had the slipper around my backside that night 😅

Brilliant 😂

Although the other gun was my first, this is the one I actually learnt to shoot with. My old man taught me to shoot with open sights on old coke bottles. The scenario was always ' you've only got one shot so make it count'. Was allowed a scope till I could shoot properly. I'm glad of it too.

Lion on the top with a hawke eclipse scope my old chap found in a house he was doing up (he pinched my original for he's ratcatcher)

Next is a Gecado model 22 (to the best of my knowledge it's a rebranded Diana).

On the bottom is my lads Weihrauch 25L.

The other two due being covered in I don't know how many years worth of dust and cobwebs are still in the garage, I take a couple of them tomorrow.

IMG-20200330-WA0002.jpg

11 hours ago, Fuddster said:

If cleaning an already clean gun gives you a little escape from whats going, then crack on.

Half an hour in the man cave alone, radio on and handling my cherished collection-that's a bona fide medicine in my books.

f.

Dam right. 

11 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I can't say pulling the trigger group out on a pump is something I plan on doing every time I shoot it. Auto wasn't so bad.

Same.

I've been called into work tomorrow to do my rota, so whilst there, and being the only one in, I'll take my trigger group and use the compressor to blow out the crud. Same as i dont take the plates off a sxs every time I clean it. 

4 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Dam right. 

Same.

I've been called into work tomorrow to do my rota, so whilst there, and being the only one in, I'll take my trigger group and use the compressor to blow out the crud. Same as i dont take the plates off a sxs every time I clean it. 

I used to pull a bore snake through and wipe my 686 over everytime I'd used it, but that was a little bit more special to me. 

That's ideal then 👍

3 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Just got them out IMG_20200331_095242.jpg.ac556c1e5ec091620665c353e418f29a.jpg

Think I need to have a cabinet cull. Only actually use about 3 of these 

Nice 👍

I did clear out a bit before and just after Christmas, with not being able to shoot it seemed pretty pointless them being in there, although I was gutted when I sold the Beretta. 

Looking forward to being able to have a SxS again though. I've always wanted a logun S16 too...

7 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Nice 👍

I did clear out a bit before and just after Christmas, with not being able to shoot it seemed pretty pointless them being in there, although I was gutted when I sold the Beretta. 

Looking forward to being able to have a SxS again though. I've always wanted a logun S16 too...

I did until my mate bought one. He took it back under warranty so many times, mainly for leaking seals. When it worked it was nice, but not really heard a good thing about them. 

If you get a sxs, go proper and get a hammer, as far as im concerned it just adds to the experience 👍 ive shot my highest score with that at clays than any other gun, and the chokes are cylinder and 1/4.

Mind you I'll be selling my mossberg to get a sxp again. Gold hunter will probably go, valmet will go when I get the lanber, I'll break the meteor when I finish it as the internals are screwed, and I'll sell the silencer for the mossberg separately. Might keep the brno, undecided yet but its my oldest gun but I can't find anybody to screw cut it cheaply 

Edited by strimmer_13

12 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I did until my mate bought one. He took it back under warranty so many times, mainly for leaking seals. When it worked it was nice, but not really heard a good thing about them. 

If you get a sxs, go proper and get a hammer, as far as im concerned it just adds to the experience 👍 ive shot my highest score with that at clays than any other gun, and the chokes are cylinder and 1/4.

Mind you I'll be selling my mossberg to get a sxp again. Gold hunter will probably go, valmet will go when I get the lanber, I'll break the meteor when I finish it as the internals are screwed, and I'll sell the silencer for the mossberg separately. Might keep the brno, undecided yet but its my oldest gun but I can't find anybody to screw cut it cheaply 

That's a shame, I had only ever spoke to one other owner and as a vegetarian it had only ever done a few tin cans haha. I just remembered reading the airgun mags when I was younger and seeing it come out 😍

I did have a hammer gun, a 16 bore Belgian. It was far to short for me though and I kept smacking myself on the snout which wore pretty thin after a while. I went on to an AYA No.4 next which fitted well and I shot reasonably with it too which surprised me. I would love another 16 though. 

I like not paying a great deal for guns, the older/out of fashion stuff the RFD's have trouble shifting are the things I find interesting. I only have £100 for my AYA which I was well chuffed about. 

Hopefully by the end of this year I'll be in a position to apply for my fac, was going to go .22lr .223 and an fac spec auto. 

I wanted a 16 hammer but with this bull **** of steel shot, I cba. That's why I'm going to sell the silencer as well, not much point having subsonic steel shot in a few years. 

I also buy the stuff they can't sell or what gos cheap at auction, if I don't like it I pass it on. 

Well I noticed the gold hunter needs a bit of lube on the action, so glad, gives me something to do 😂

There's always room for a sbs in any cabinet-I always found them to have more character than mass produced ou's-nonsensical I know/

I have three-An AYA 25 inch from the 1960's with the slightly raised rib-bought as part of 4 guns when an old local boy was packing up-had it measured and its very slightly out of proof-so I cant sell it and its far too good to surrender it.So I'll be keeping and probably shoot a box of shells through when the fancy takes me.

Second one is a  black powder hammer gun with a rotary underlever action. Few pits in the barrels but what a thing to hold-dates from about 1890-locks up tight and again, will be lucky if has 10 cartridges per year through it.

Lastly, I purchased a Arrieta round action 20 bore with a small inheritance from my Father-bit of a sentimental nod to the old man. 30 inch barrels chocked 1/4 and 3/4. A pleasure to shoot I find the barrels get too hot on driven game-better suited to a smaller slower paced shoot.

f.