Steel shot card wad

Apologies if this has been done before

i have got round to having a look if I could make a wad for steel shot with a card wad this is where I got

16 gauge paper case 16 gauge wad glued in  12 gauge over powder card glued on all fits nice in 12 gauge shell wad just needs slitting at 45’ slits

what I would like to know is the 16 gauge paper case strong enough or would it need to be strengthened either with more card inside or being coated in dope or pva solution have any of you gents tried this 

thanks donkey

Don’t know why pics are wrong way up and in reverse order

B0C2C602-6023-44A3-B53B-68FD0F5F9286.jpeg

8F1AFB00-86A3-4C30-B81F-1E48FA646014.jpeg

8627D4EC-7AD8-4986-9BA1-4A5B918C1355.jpeg

A37F3D30-72EB-4ED8-848C-1B3D21006B2E.jpeg

Edited by Donkey
Photo error

How thick is the card?

A 10ga card cup wad from clay game has approx 1mm wall thickness, being made from a rolled cardboard which appears to be impregnated with a oil/wax. The base of it is just the sides folded in, coming to approx 3mm thickness.

I've just measured a few to check they were all roughly the same.

I've shot a few of these with big shot, BBB mainly, and suffered no damage.

Thanks mat they are not far off 1 mm 

this is just a me being bored in isolation having a go at something for the future in practice it works Fit wise 

once everything is back to normal I will get some orders for components and test some 

The 16 gauge paper cases I used didn’t hold up very well with 4 or three slits 

the paper unrolled the clay and game cups are fibre and hold up a lot better 

note test gun bakil single barrel full choke no damage to barrel or bulging yet 

1mm thick of the walls 

3 mm at the base over a 4.5 mm over powder card 

Edited by Old farrier

Foil is your friend, wrapper inside then slit the WAD. i HAVE BEEN USING RICE TRAY LIDS.

Looking at laminating tube from aluminim foil and card. Its best i have found holding up so far. Strange as it sounds the ten bore seems gentler on wads. And thats with BBB too.  With 2s in the ten they were nearly reusable on the basic tray lid wads. I might just use ten for everything.

1 hour ago, Big Mat said:

How thick is the card?

A 10ga card cup wad from clay game has approx 1mm wall thickness, being made from a rolled cardboard which appears to be impregnated with a oil/wax. The base of it is just the sides folded in, coming to approx 3mm thickness.

I've just measured a few to check they were all roughly the same.

I've shot a few of these with big shot, BBB mainly, and suffered no damage.

I am just starting to play with the CG fibre shot cups in ten this year. Have you been happy with the condition of the wad after firing with BBB? How many slits and how deep?

thanks

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

The tinfoils a good ides but not sure on the eco biodegradable aspect of it 

min just hoping to come up with something that’s acceptable for the landowners and that works 

Another option i did consider was shim steel sheet. But not sure what it costs . i have various thickness’s but never bought any, all came from my uncles engineering firm with the machines. But can be cut with scissors and stronger than aluminium foil.    .

42 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Another option i did consider was shim steel sheet. But not sure what it costs . i have various thickness’s but never bought any, all came from my uncles engineering firm with the machines. But can be cut with scissors and stronger than aluminium foil.    .

You could probably use a coke can for material 

however not sure if you’re spent was/shotcup  would be appreciated by a landowner maybe ok on the salt marshes where corrosion is rapid 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

You could probably use a coke can for material 

however not sure if you’re spent was/shotcup  would be appreciated by a landowner maybe ok on the salt marshes where corrosion is rapid 

Coke can is good idea, its thin too so in a 12ga load with say BBs glueing it to 16ga nitro card then card wrap shouldered to 12ga nitro card would be ideal.  Would work in small bores too, where bigger shot could cause a problem. I have never seen 12ga CGR card cup wads but they recommend 4s as biggest shot size but no recommendations on 10ga. Is it as we know the 10 stacks bigger shot better or are there physical differences in wad wall thickness etc on the 10s and the 12s.?

Edited by lancer425

4 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

I am just starting to play with the CG fibre shot cups in ten this year. Have you been happy with the condition of the wad after firing with BBB? How many slits and how deep?

thanks

I think it was 4 slits, 3/4 way down. I cant say I remember looking at the wads after firing

4 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

thanks

Dave mine came with a diagram showing 3 slits to within 10mm from the bottom

18 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Thanks I use 4 slots in the 8bore wads so sounds right. I will be testing and looking  carefully at the wads to check they have withstood the pressures.

3 slits works well with 5....6 steel shot although I’m working on a partridge/ average height pheasant load 

10 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Cut at an angle?

I think this is a good idea myself.

Basically, you cut top down vertically on the wad as normal, but instead of holding the blade perpendicular to the card at the top, laterally turn the knife 45 degrees so that the cut intersects the wad at an angle, therefore creating 'some overlap' if a piece of shot was to try to poke through. I do it with my 8 bore ones.

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

I think this is a good idea myself.

Basically, you cut top down vertically on the wad as normal, but instead of holding the blade perpendicular to the card at the top, laterally turn the knife 45 degrees so that the cut intersects the wad at an angle, therefore creating 'some overlap' if a piece of shot was to try to poke through. I do it with my 8 bore ones.

So do I!

• 2 weeks later...

My foil card tube slieve wads, i am thinking of lining the wad with Coke can, and using this foil tape "PREE SLITTING7/8ths length."

This foil  overlaps the 12ga nitro card base and helps with alignment.

I can not test yet with the lockdown, but i have decided to look at making a .410 version and think these would stand up to ports on silenced .410s, giving a non plaswad that could be used in moderated guns unlike plaswads. Steel "Or TSS" would be an option then in moderated .410s.

https://www.tradestoreonline.co.uk/Reinforced-Aluminium-Foil-Tape-

Edited by lancer425