Sausage making

ilovemyheckler

I had a go at making some pork and leek sausages today.

All went well until I tried getting the meat into the skins.

I was using a nozzle with a 2.5cm outlet as I prefer the thicker sausages. However, I struggled getting the skins onto the nozzle and when I started piping the skin struggled to get off and kept splitting. I have managed to salvage 6 sausages which I will cook tomorrow to check that they taste ok.

I then tried a smaller nozzle (2cm) outlet. Much easier to get the skin on and piping was a piece of cake. However, skin looked too thick on the sausages and I couldn't see through it very well - just didn't look right.

I took the meat out of the skins and have put the meat into the freezer.

Any suggestions on what skin size I should be using with the 2.5cm nozzle or where else I could be going wrong?

Thanks

ilovemyheckler - put the sausage meat into Puff Pastry (you can buy it frozen from just about anywhere) and spoon a line of chutney alongside each "sausage" ( caramelised onion works well but Baxters Albert's Victorian is nicest I've tried) and make sausage rolls - superb.

loverly pics and a really professional product.................must say i like my bangers totally plain ...big mince plenty of fat and lots of crumb bit of seasoning......served with english mustard on fried bread and maybe a big fresh chucky egg

those other reciepes look good as well :good:

On 04/04/2020 at 16:19, ilovemyheckler said:

I was using a nozzle with a 2.5cm outlet as I prefer the thicker sausages. However, I struggled getting the skins onto the nozzle and when I started piping the skin struggled to get off and kept splitting. I have managed to salvage 6 sausages which I will cook tomorrow to check that they taste ok.

I then tried a smaller nozzle (2cm) outlet. Much easier to get the skin on and piping was a piece of cake. However, skin looked too thick on the sausages and I couldn't see through it very well - just didn't look right.

Any suggestions on what skin size I should be using with the 2.5cm nozzle or where else I could be going wrong?

Thanks

Are you leaving the skins to soak in water overnight before use? 

On 31/03/2020 at 11:52, Dave at kelton said:

Up here use Iron Bru😁

When you bite into them Dave don't they break your teeth 😄

Have a look at "The sausage book" by Nick Sandler & Johnny Acton if you are compelled to get a book. It appears to be all things sausage from history to making. All well illustrated and recipes for bangers from all over the world. One of my relatives got me the book as a unknown present, however I have to confess that I have never made a banger in me life so take this book with doing your review..

As Shootgun says plenty of online resources

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

3 hours ago, ilovemyheckler said:

Instructions from supplier (and video I watched) said rinse in cold water (to get rid of the salt) and then soak for 2 hours in warm water

Have had similar issues myself. Cured by soaking overnight minimum. Makes a huge difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I can offer a few tips for 1st timers. 

Use hog casings, (avoid sheep casings, too thin and split too easy) rinse through by flushing plenty of water through, leave soaking in fresh water for a few hours, ( i soak mine over night) dont skimp on this bit, 

make the mix wetter than the recipe,  normally 10% water (i use cheap red wine instead) i add 12-15 depending on what mix .if i add dried Cranberrys or Apricots and smilar i add more.

Put the skins onto your filler tube wet, water is your lube, use plenty.

when you start to fill the skins pull the skin towards the end of the tube, go slow and steady, if you can, get some assistance helping the sausage out at its own pace. 

when your linking dont make then too small you will struggle platting them, this is when you find out if you have filled the skins to tightly. Once you have done if you can, hang to let the skins dry a bit, they wont open up when you separate them. 

On 04/04/2020 at 16:19, ilovemyheckler said:

Thanks

How long did you soak the skins before use? Sounds like they were too dry. 

8 hours ago, Dougy said:

I can offer a few tips for 1st timers. 

Use hog casings, (avoid sheep casings, too thin and split too easy) rinse through by flushing plenty of water through, leave soaking in fresh water for a few hours, ( i soak mine over night) dont skimp on this bit, 

make the mix wetter than the recipe,  normally 10% water (i use cheap red wine instead) i add 12-15 depending on what mix .if i add dried Cranberrys or Apricots and smilar i add more.

Put the skins onto your filler tube wet, water is your lube, use plenty.

when you start to fill the skins pull the skin towards the end of the tube, go slow and steady, if you can, get some assistance helping the sausage out at its own pace. 

when your linking dont make then too small you will struggle platting them, this is when you find out if you have filled the skins to tightly. Once you have done if you can, hang to let the skins dry a bit, they wont open up when you separate them. 

This is gospel. 

Thanks guys.

I bought some hogs casings and had another go yesterday.

I let the casings rinse for nearly 4 hours, made sure the tube was wet and all went well. I didn't link them but cut them into packs of 6 for freezing - maybe I will try linking next time.

It's funny but I could tell it was going to go well as the casings went onto the tube much better so it must have been down being a beginner the first time.

Going to make some more at the weekend

• 4 months later...