Beretta 303 clean up

craig1982

I have a Beretta 303 semi auto which gets very little use, I took it out the other day and it does not cycle 100% even on 32g cartridges. I want to give it a total clean up. What do people use to remove the carbon from the piston, cylinder and gas port. The cylinder is very grimy, what will dissolve the crud ? 

Bore cleaner and an old toothbrush will clean the piston. For the gas port's I have a small screwdriver that I have ground so it has two flats and is tapered. First time you do it you will be surprised how much carbon comes out. I have a 302 that will cycle 24 gems no problems. It's always the gas ports that are the problem.

I recently bought a 301 'scrapper' that was sold for parts. When I stripped it, it was filthy. I used GT85  and a brass brush to clean the piston. The rod that the piston fits on I cleaned with a nylon pan scrub and again GT85.  I then soaked the piston housing on the barrel with the same fluid and left it whilst I had a coffee. I then used an old screwdriver to get most of the carbon off and then a wire coat hanger to clean the barrel ports. I removed the stock and then the recoil spring fitted inside the stock tube. I replaced that spring with a new one. Just a point, IF you should change that spring it is NOT the same as the recoil spring in a 390/1 onwards. So watch out for that. The gun had a damaged piston and a couple of parts missing off the trigger unit. I replaced the missing parts and put in the bolt from my 303. The gun functioned perfectly including 24 grams. Just need to locate the upper portion of the bolt now. I use GT85 for cleaning all of my guns and has never been a problem and at £3 a can is a cheaper option. It is NOT a lubricant though.

2 minutes ago, Westley said:

I recently bought a 301 'scrapper' that was sold for parts. When I stripped it, it was filthy. I used GT85  and a brass brush to clean the piston. The rod that the piston fits on I cleaned with a nylon pan scrub and again GT85.  I then soaked the piston housing on the barrel with the same fluid and left it whilst I had a coffee. I then used an old screwdriver to get most of the carbon off and then a wire coat hanger to clean the barrel ports. I removed the stock and then the recoil spring fitted inside the stock tube. I replaced that spring with a new one. Just a point, IF you should change that spring it is NOT the same as the recoil spring in a 390/1 onwards. So watch out for that. The gun had a damaged piston and a couple of parts missing off the trigger unit. I replaced the missing parts and put in the bolt from my 303. The gun functioned perfectly including 24 grams. Just need to locate the upper portion of the bolt now. I use GT85 for cleaning all of my guns and has never been a problem and at £3 a can is a cheaper option. It is NOT a lubricant though.

if its the bolt locking piece you want I have a spare one here you can have. Its the roughly "L" shaped part on the top. PM me an address and I'll pop it in the post asap.

If like mine there's a slight looseness of the trigger group when the gun is assembled I found a small 1 inch square piece of duct tape fixed to the inside of the receiver resolved it. I don't know whether that's a problem with only the 302 which mine is as the magazine cutoff is the main trigger group pin but if yours is the same it works! Also made a shim for a slight bit of play in the forend and that's sorted now as well.

Edited by Wingman