Gedney wildfowlers

Manish

Hello everyone,

I hope we are all keeping well at this time of **** hitting the fan!! Anyway I have been considering joining the Gedney wildfowlers but know very little about them apart from whats on the website. I have had a look at the application form and you need to be introduced by the looks of it. As someone who does'nt know anybody there does that make it a no go for me or is there a way in? Also as someone new would I be buddied up with another fowler to learn the ropes on the foreshore?

Many thanks as always 

1 hour ago, Manish said:

Hello everyone,

I hope we are all keeping well at this time of **** hitting the fan!! Anyway I have been considering joining the Gedney wildfowlers but know very little about them apart from whats on the website. I have had a look at the application form and you need to be introduced by the looks of it. As someone who does'nt know anybody there does that make it a no go for me or is there a way in? Also as someone new would I be buddied up with another fowler to learn the ropes on the foreshore?

Many thanks as always 

Manish.

Phone Trevor Amos he will sort you out. Yes you will be shown the ropes until both Club and yourself are happy for you to go alone. I am a member of several years

9 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Manish.

Phone Trevor Amos he will sort you out. Yes you will be shown the ropes until both Club and yourself are happy for you to go alone. I am a member of several years

Nice one mate

24 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

If you've got just over a million laying around, you could buy the marsh! It's up on savilles website

Sorry I dont that sort money floating around 🤣

3 minutes ago, B725 said:

Trevor and his wife Louise are two of the nicest people you will ever meet,Trevor will help you out.iwas a member for quite a few years,sadly don't have the time now.

What are the grounds like?? Im guessing goose ally!

Your out on the Wash as like wildfowling anywhere you need local knowledge and an element of luck. The first time my mate came with me I told him to be careful walking out onto the Wash as it's very sticky and slippery mud,his very first step he slipped and ended up covered in mud. There can be more blank day's than good one's and at times not for the faint hearted but its not always about pulling the trigger.

bit like deer stalking then 😆

12 minutes ago, B725 said:

No I meant it can be very cold and or wet and you can go out without seeing anything,do that a few times and you will understand why a said it's not for the faint hearted,but one good morning and all that's forgotten.

Is there a booking system that many places have?

2 hours ago, Konnie said:

It's a wildfowling club  not a  goose shooting club as you mentioned "goose ally" everything shot on the foreshore is earnt!!

I wouldn't want it any other way. I have done some foreshore fowling this last season and TBH I enjoyed more than the inshore stuff around Ely

Edited by Manish

3 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

It is a biggish chunk of tidal saltmarsh. The tide comes in twice a day. When the big tides are on the marsh will be covered and you do not want to be standing out there. There must be some videos which will help you get the picture......

Ill have a little look on youtube but I agree as Im only 5ft3in I wouldn't want to be stood out there 😂

4 minutes ago, Manish said:

Ill have a little look on youtube but I agree as Im only 5ft3in I wouldn't want to be stood out there 😂

Are you a BASC member. If so i could arrange for you to have a Day Ticket  so you could see what coastal Wildfowling is like 

1 minute ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Are you a BASC member. If so i could arrange for you to have a Day Ticket  so you could see what coastal Wildfowling is like 

Yes I'am I have fowled over at Thronham a few times last season and ******* loved it

@6.5x55SE If you were to choose one club which one would you go for Fenland or Gedney and why? Im torn between the two. I like the fact that Gedney has so much foreshore but Fenland has inshore too. On the subject of Gedneys forshore I guessing the bombing range isnt used the often at weekends

1 hour ago, Manish said:

@6.5x55SE If you were to choose one club which one would you go for Fenland or Gedney and why? Im torn between the two. I like the fact that Gedney has so much foreshore but Fenland has inshore too. On the subject of Gedneys forshore I guessing the bombing range isnt used the often at weekends

Depends what you want out of your Shooting. Both are excellent Clubs with people willing to help new comers. ( Just my opinion of many years Wildfowling ) Fenland good shooting to be had but does involve longer walks can get very busy when Geese are around.

Gedney again good shooting to be had no shooting from seawall but basically carpark over seawall then Shooting so very short walk. Camp/Bombing Range yes there are restrictions back onto seawall by 8am Tuesday Thursday no evening/moon flighting  and no shooting anytime when Red Flags are hoisted/flying Christmas period Camp is closed so shooting anytime ( Trevor keeps members informed about the Camp ) shooting can be very good . As with all foreshore shooting ( we all get lucky at times ) those that work hard put the effort in reaps the rewards. It's really down to personal choice back to where i started BOTH clubs are good you have to decide what you want to achieve out of foreshore shooting good luck in your quest 

Edited by 6.5x55SE

The only thing I'd add to the excellent advice above, is that the creeks on Fenland are a bit kinder … most run in a useful direction to and from the sea … therefore meaning it's more difficult to get caught out (but not impossible!!). The creeks on Gedney are a bit more knarly and run in stranger orientations, which can work well, but can also mean that on big tides you're more limited.

33 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

The only thing I'd add to the excellent advice above, is that the creeks on Fenland are a bit kinder … most run in a useful direction to and from the sea … therefore meaning it's more difficult to get caught out (but not impossible!!). The creeks on Gedney are a bit more knarly and run in stranger orientations, which can work well, but can also mean that on big tides you're more limited.

Good point 👍

On 31/03/2020 at 21:52, 6.5x55SE said:

Depends what you want out of your Shooting. Both are excellent Clubs with people willing to help new comers. ( Just my opinion of many years Wildfowling ) Fenland good shooting to be had but does involve longer walks can get very busy when Geese are around.

Gedney again good shooting to be had no shooting from seawall but basically carpark over seawall then Shooting so very short walk. Camp/Bombing Range yes there are restrictions back onto seawall by 8am Tuesday Thursday no evening/moon flighting  and no shooting anytime when Red Flags are hoisted/flying Christmas period Camp is closed so shooting anytime ( Trevor keeps members informed about the Camp ) shooting can be very good . As with all foreshore shooting ( we all get lucky at times ) those that work hard put the effort in reaps the rewards. It's really down to personal choice back to where i started BOTH clubs are good you have to decide what you want to achieve out of foreshore shooting good luck in your quest 

In terms of what im after form my foreshore shooting I'd say its just a nice wild experience which I think both places will give me. I guess the weekend should be ok for the range as the RAF never work at weekends.

12 hours ago, Manish said:

In terms of what im after form my foreshore shooting I'd say its just a nice wild experience which I think both places will give me. I guess the weekend should be ok for the range as the RAF never work at weekends.

I think Fenland perhaps offers more in terms of overall size of marsh, plus the various inland washes, but this comes at a slightly greater cost.

Why not join both? 😁