8 bore auto

Farmboy91

I was reading through a wildfowling site earlier on and came across a small section on the above. It read that a gunsmith/fowler had made it although it didn't work successfully.

Just wondered if through the vast wealth of knowledge on here anyone actually knew anything about it or the bloke who built it? A Google search didn't reveal anything.

40 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Have you got one on order Mat , I would love to have a go when you get it :lol:

No but I would have ordered one if I could, if i recall it was a 26" barrel? It was an odd advert and didn't translate very well. I'll see if I can find it again

4 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I was reading through a wildfowling site earlier on and came across a small section on the above. It read that a gunsmith/fowler had made it although it didn't work successfully.

Just wondered if through the vast wealth of knowledge on here anyone actually knew anything about it or the bloke who built it? A Google search didn't reveal anything.

Geoffrey Boothroyd had an 8 bore semi auto on display at a game fair in Scotland around 1988 -1990  have a photograph somewhere.

Edited by Konor
Date correction

58 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thanks I'll have to give that a look too. I'm fascinated to see the engineering that would be behind a big auto.

Edit, there is a video on YouTube by an American, built using some sort of anti aircraft barrel 😂

I've found it, i wasn't completely right. If you look for TOZ-123, you'll find a 4 bore pump action shotgun, a smooth bore 3 shot version of the military KS-23.

23 minutes ago, Konor said:

No problem I wish I had paid a bit more attention when he showed me it so I could have passed on more details to you

To be honest I don't think I can remember a great deal from 20 years ago 😂 

The picture is great as I've got a starting point now 👍 want to say it looks like a Beretta action? I can't believe there's next to no information online about it though.

@mudpatten do you recognise it at all?

I am pretty certain that this was a project by Alan Myers, now sadly deceased. He mentions it in his 1988/89 catalogue and the Kelso Gamefair where Geoffrey Boothroyd “was mobbed”. If you want a copy of the page PM me your email address.

Alan was not in those days putting out any fancy catalogues and none of us used this tech perhaps why you have found nothing 

Edited by Dave at kelton
Additional data

1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

I am pretty certain that this was a project by Alan Myers, now sadly deceased. He mentions it in his 1988/89 catalogue and the Kelso Gamefair where Geoffrey Boothroyd “was mobbed”. If you want a copy of the page PM me your email address.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. 

Thank you 👍

It was indeed AM. Have no idea if he sold any.That Kelso fair was about the wettest event I have ever attended - we were in a caravan for the duration. The atmosphere in the campsite especially in the racecourse bar was actually amazing. As I recall it was a choice of chilli con carne or spag bol and a LOT of ale was shifted. 

1 minute ago, Pushandpull said:

It was indeed AM. Have no idea if he sold any.That Kelso fair was about the wettest event I have ever attended - we were in a caravan for the duration. The atmosphere in the campsite especially in the racecourse bar was actually amazing. As I recall it was a choice of chilli con carne or spag bol and a LOT of ale was shifted. 

I did happen across some ads on guntrader or gunstar advertising some of he's collection so there must be a few kicking around somewhere.

33 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Alan was not in those days putting out any fancy catalogues and none of us used this tech perhaps why you have found nothing 

Dave I was at the Kelso CLA gamefair so I think you are correct with the venue

30 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

Farmboy, I can`t add anything to the already comprehensive replies except that, I have a vague recollection that it was scratch built rather than using re-engineered 10 bore components, but my memory could be playing tricks.

I wonder where it/they are now?

Yes i believe it was scratch built based on the Ithaca but with variations to avoid patent infringements and that may have been the problem with it operating properly

33 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

Farmboy, I can`t add anything to the already comprehensive replies except that, I have a vague recollection that it was scratch built rather than using re-engineered 10 bore components, but my memory could be playing tricks.

I wonder where it/they are now?

From the information @Dave at keltonkindly provided me with that sounds about right but an Ithaca 10 bore auto is mentioned with regards to a similar design. 

I'd love to know the whereabouts too, do you think Johnny from TGS would be able to help with the search? I'm thinking someone with gun trade contacts must know something.

Edit, Dave beat me too it.

Edited by Farmboy91

3 hours ago, Konor said:

That’s the photograph I took below unfortunately apart from being an eight bore I can’t remember any more details

84E0444B-34E2-43FC-A525-B5607063CB1C.jpeg

Just figured out I was 10 years out on the date Kelso Game Fair was 1988 Geoffrey used the picture I gave him to illustrate an article in Shooting Times dated 11 th May 2000 hence the confusion

Edited by Konor