Spare ribs

amateur

I've got a foolproof method of making tasty but tender pork spare ribs.

Line a steamer basket with a double layer of aluminium foil. 

Coat the spare ribs with a dry seasoning of your choice - jerk, cajun, piri-piri, barbecue - whatever you like

Arrange the ribs in the lined steamer basket with some chopped garlic and ginger.

Steam with the lid on for at least one hour.

When the meat is falling off the bone, pour off and reserve the meat and seasoning juices.

Keeping the meat in the foil, pop it  and the juices into the fridge overnight.

Next day put the, by now, jellied juices in a saucepan with some maple syrup, treacle or golden syrup (as sweet as you like) with a slug of rye whiskey, bourbon or rum, and tomato puree and reduce to a sticky consistency.

Put the opened foil with ribs in a baking pan, anoint with the sticky stuff and whack into a 250 degree oven until the ribs are charring nicely.

Remove with tongs and serve on a bed of rice with salad.

Scrunch up the foil and dispose.

No pans to clean and lovely, soft, fingerlickingly good ribs with a spicy, sticky finish

Edited by amateur

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You cook them then don’t eat them? ...........

No, you slow cook them first in a spice mix so they are meltingly soft and tasty and let them rest overnight to absorb the flavours. 

The sticky glaze and high temperature the next day adds texture and a different layer of flavour.

Admittedly, whilst they are steaming, the smell gets my tummy rumbling 😁

I have cooked them straight into the oven or on to the barbecue in the past and found them to be tougher and less tasty.

It just works for me.

I rap mine in tin foil and fire up my hot smoker without smoke chips.... leave them in there all afternoon simmering in there juices. once the meet falls from the bone I open the foil and remove the juice. I then brush on bbq sauce and leave to firm up a little. drys the bbq out a bit while smoking the meet. I do the same with brisket.

lovely

Edited by SPARKIE