Food tasting different

washerboy

I haven't had a lot of processed food in the last 2 years, mainly living on chicken, fish, veg and rice. The odd night out when I've had a steak or if pushed a burger. 

Well being in this lock down over the weekend my Mrs decides to cook stuff from the freezer. One of my old favourites bangers, mash and onion gravy. 

Too say it was a vast disappointed wouldn't be far off. I didn't realise how bad sausages really tasted, the texture the overall nastieness. So it's back to chicken and rice tomorrow. 

How things change food wise 

16 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Christ on a bike - if your Chicken and Rice has more flavour than your sausages what sad kinda sausages are you buying?

excactly...................................buy decent none fancy bloody herby bangers and do then in the oven..........gods food

The missus normally picks up more expensive sausages than I would, I do enjoy good food but the quality difference in supermarket sausages is negligible. 

If we're ever in the area or coming back from High Lodge we stop in the butcher's at Melton next to the railway crossing.

Throughly enjoy bangers from them.

Doesn't matter how long they have been in the freezer really it is down to buying garbage in the first place. Plenty of quality sausages about if your willing to look AND lots of garbage as well.   As above DO NOT buy sausage from supermarkets.  Butchers in Marlborough used to have the finest range of sausages I have ever seen and funnily enough so did Waitrose in the same town. We buy ours from Ashby de la zouch, same place we buy our PROPER bread.  You cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear.

19 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

You are aware that a loss of your sense of taste can be a coronavirus symptom? 

The sip of 2015  Red tastes just as it should do and even better as this is the second glass so I should be OK.:good:

42 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If the sausages have been in the freezer for the last 2 years, since which time you have lived “on chicken, fish, veg and rice”.......no wonder they taste bland! Lol!

Yep, if its been in the freezer to long it gets frost burnt and taste horrible.

5 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

The missus normally picks up more expensive sausages than I would, I do enjoy good food but the quality difference in supermarket sausages is negligible. 

If we're ever in the area or coming back from High Lodge we stop in the butcher's at Melton next to the railway crossing.

Throughly enjoy bangers from them.

Melton butchers always been quality! The Sutton Hoo chickens are good to. If you get up A140 way look out for Suffolk farmhouse Cheeses at Creeting, There sausages and meat amazing. Award winning cheeses to. Suffolk gold a fav. Lovely Guernsey cow milk and cheese etc always available from vending machine ont farm. Can watch the cows milking when they want to at auto milker. Fascinating bit of kit and very contented cows.   NB 

57 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Melton butchers always been quality! The Sutton Hoo chickens are good to. If you get up A140 way look out for Suffolk farmhouse Cheeses at Creeting, There sausages and meat amazing. Award winning cheeses to. Suffolk gold a fav. Lovely Guernsey cow milk and cheese etc always available from vending machine ont farm. Can watch the cows milking when they want to at auto milker. Fascinating bit of kit and very contented cows.   NB 

I couldn't have been much more than 10 or so the first time I had sausages from Melton and they have stuck with me since.

I've driven past that place 100's of times and always promise myself I'll stop in for some milk. I think when all this is over I'll have to stop in and treat myself. We used to use the butcher's in Sudbury near the bus station for game, long before I started shooting. Ex used to make a lovely rabbit stew.

13 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I couldn't have been much more than 10 or so the first time I had sausages from Melton and they have stuck with me since.

I've driven past that place 100's of times and always promise myself I'll stop in for some milk. I think when all this is over I'll have to stop in and treat myself. We used to use the butcher's in Sudbury near the bus station for game, long before I started shooting. Ex used to make a lovely rabbit stew.

We used to joke that the butcher must of had the controls for the level crossing barrier to divert folk into shop. They sometimes have great deals on salt marsh red poll beef /steaks and lamb to.

Busy road to get back out on and there drive is very long, but well worth it. Another near there is Hog & Hen Farm Shop at Stonham. Lovely free range stuff /game processed and sold on farm. They also game breeders. Known for rearing quality pheasants and partridge. Do a few english to.

Palfary & Hall in Debenham also great proper local produce/game  butchers to. Do a real nice black pudding scotch egg.  Not trouble getting or getting rid of any game or pigeon my!

Not many rabbits about!  . . . .   Hungary Now!      NB

9 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

We used to joke that the butcher must of had the controls for the level crossing barrier to divert folk into shop. They sometimes have great deals on salt marsh red poll beef /steaks and lamb to.

Busy road to get back out on and there drive is very long, but well worth it. Another near there is Hog & Hen Farm Shop at Stonham. Lovely free range stuff /game processed and sold on farm. They also game breeders. Known for rearing quality pheasants and partridge. Do a few english to.

Palfary & Hall in Debenham also great proper local produce/game  butchers to. Do a real nice black pudding scotch egg.  Not trouble getting or getting rid of any game or pigeon my!

Not many rabbits about!  . . . .   Hungary Now!      NB

Cheers I'll add them to the list for us to go and visit 👍

We do pop in to semer farm shop every now and again, the meat from there is nice. The butcher's in lavenham isnt bad either, had a nice bit of venison from there last year, they also do curried venison pasties which are the absolute dogs danglies.

Both my perms have got rabbits, they are becoming a big problem on the larger one. Dealing with a lot a red tape at moment trying to access the land they are coming from, still waiting on a reply from SCC. With a bit of luck I'll have a few in the freezer soon.

Curried venison pastie sound great! Will have to try em. Work that way a lot, Or used to! I like Lavenham. Maybe again. Pain when the tourists about! My family from west Suffolk going right back to 1700's. Mainly Semer Lindsey  and Kersey way. Got a lovely iconic picture of my granddad as a young boy bringing a harvest wagon through the famous Kersey splash pulled by a team of suffolks. 

RHD done/doing for a lot of rabbits my way. Have to really think where to find them if i want one these days.  Loads of hare's. Tho some farms have knocked them back cos of continuous problems from gangs with long dogs everywhere. They been on the deer as well lately.        NB