UK Sporting Shoots - As a Honeymoon

Cawdor118

Evening All, 

Please excuse this topic as sounding like an X-Factor into! (sob, sob, sob)

So we are due to go on honeymoon come May, but as you would expect its likely to get cancelled. Unfortunately, our wedding got cancelled by Boris last weekend too... So its been a hellish time for both of us and as you would expect, we have lost some amount of £££.  We did however mange to get married at home - so we are delighted. Its times like these you are thankful for health and happiness rather than material possessions.  I have an extremely understanding wife who wants to go shooting all around the UK as a plan B. Were both into Sporting, she likes some easier compak as she is a relative novice. 

So... We have never been to Devon / Cornwall, Norwich or Wales! Can this fine fraternity provide us with names of some commercial shoots in those areas that might be open later in the year for a couple of honeymooners? I would be interested in doing some stalking or rifle shooting too if it was available. Were seriously planning doing 1000+ miles going and seeing the things in the UK we have neglected until now. 

*fingers crossed she might buy me a Krieghoff when we swing by Bywell or Ian Coley haha! (suspect im being a chancer though haha)

Cheers 👍

What an excellent idea and spending your cash in the UK as well which will boost our recovery once this is all over.  If everyone decided to do that the country would be so much better of.

Let us hope it all clears up before winter sets in again although hopefully by then you will both still have your love to keep you warm.  Congratulations and wish you a long and happy marriage.

Edited by Walker570

Llechwedd-y-Garth, mid-Wales. Best shoot I’ve seen. Not sure if they do individual guns as only ever been on full team days but brilliant. After that I would say try to complete the McNab in Scotland, combined with the North Coast 500. Honeymoon beaches in Kyle of Tongue, Coldbackie etc but absolutely deserted. There is a small cafe and bakery between Tongue and Bettyhill that’s worth the drive alone. 

7 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Bird shooting in Scotland and Ibex in the Alps are my to bucket list hunts.  I’d like the hunt African Big game also but that out of my budget and I never really want to go to Africa.  

Virtually the only two places I ever visit are the U.S. and Africa. 
When I go to Africa I never want to come home!

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Llechwedd-y-Garth, mid-Wales. Best shoot I’ve seen. Not sure if they do individual guns as only ever been on full team days but brilliant. After that I would say try to complete the McNab in Scotland, combined with the North Coast 500. Honeymoon beaches in Kyle of Tongue, Coldbackie etc but absolutely deserted. There is a small cafe and bakery between Tongue and Bettyhill that’s worth the drive alone. 

I think the OP was talking about clay shooting.

I agree on the pheasant shoot though!

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

What an excellent idea and spending your cash in the UK as well which will boost our recovery once this is all over.  If everyone decided to do that the country would be so much better of.

Let us hope it all clears up before winter sets in again although hopefully by then you will both still have your love to keep you warm.  Congratulations and wish you a long and happy marriage.

Thank you very much - we appreciate it! 

I

10 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I live on the 500! Its some drive if you are in to that. 

7 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I think the OP was talking about clay shooting.

I agree on the pheasant shoot though!

Did a driven day in Invermoriston last year! Absolutely class and I would recommend it to anyone who can spare the cash. 

6 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

Think about baseing the holiday around a simulated day say in Devon then take in north Devon shooting and south west's ground, then head north to Ian Coley in Gloucestershire

I'm very keen to do Ian Coley to "ogle" at the Krieghoffs. 

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

:lol: It would certainly cost a bit more to do a tour of driven days!

Haha -  no worries! I would love to go to Africa... think its a stretch for her driving though 😅

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

More money but very good fun! I know a head keeper who married a female underkeeper, they went dove shooting in Argentina for their honeymoon and she also shot a Jaguar. 

I'm keen for the doves, not so much the Jaguar. That wouldn't do anything for me unfortunately. 

Hi Cawdor118

Here are some options :

Devon:

South West SS (near Ilfracombe ) is a good ground to go to. Plenty of variety - only caters for sporting

North Devon SG (near Woolacombe) is also nearby but not as good in my opinion. - again sporting only

What you have to accept is that these grounds are a long way from large populations so facilities are basic as they do not get masses of people each day. They do not have high end Club Houses / Gun shops etc. They most likely would be caddied rounds.

Ascombe Adventure near Dawlish - open every day, uses Claymate and has a sporting layout, skeet and compak.

Also look on Ladds Guns website. There is a 'Where to Shoot' section and this lists the above ground plus some other Sunday morning shoots. I went to Ashley Clay Shoot and really enjoyed it. I pitched up on my own, asked the farmer if he would pair me up and went round with some locals which was a very enjoyable morning. One of the locals was a referee for the Registered shoots that Ashley  also hold  and said most of the gang I shot with shot the Registered comp but went Birds only.

Wales:

Haimwood Clay Shoot - good variety of targets again sporting only

Griffin Lloyd SG - only open at weekends. Very large sporting layout offering varying degrees of difficulty. Good for game shots as there is some good driven targets. The ground is a bit haphazard as again its far from any large centers of population meaning it does not get a massive through put of shooters. Claymate system

Mid Wales SG - Really good gun shop and has trap and skeet as well as a reasonable sporting layout. 

Dovey Valley SG- Meant to be good but I have never been.

One advantage I have living in the midlands is that there is a variety of ground not too far away to suit most budgets. Some with just traps/ one layout  to others with large commercial gun shops and restaurants / cafe's.  As you travel to the lesser populated areas of the country the grounds seem to thin out as they just do not get the through put of people.

Richard

Devon:

South West SS (near Ilfracombe ) is a good ground to go to. Plenty of variety - only caters for sporting

North Devon SG (near Woolacombe) is also nearby but not as good in my opinion. - again sporting only

Shot both of these, but some years ago. Both had decent targets.

6 hours ago, Fishing Richie said:

Hi Cawdor118

Here are some options :

Devon:

What you have to accept is that these grounds are a long way from large populations so facilities are basic as they do not get masses of people each day. They do not have high end Club Houses / Gun shops etc. They most likely would be caddied rounds.

Ascombe Adventure near Dawlish - open every day, uses Claymate and has a sporting layout, skeet and compak.

Also look on Ladds Guns website. There is a 'Where to Shoot' section and this lists the above ground plus some other Sunday morning shoots. I went to Ashley Clay Shoot and really enjoyed it. I pitched up on my own, asked the farmer if he would pair me up and went round with some locals which was a very enjoyable morning. One of the locals was a referee for the Registered shoots that Ashley  also hold  and said most of the gang I shot with shot the Registered comp but went Birds only.

Wales:

Haimwood Clay Shoot - good variety of targets again sporting only

Griffin Lloyd SG - only open at weekends. Very large sporting layout offering varying degrees of difficulty. Good for game shots as there is some good driven targets. The ground is a bit haphazard as again its far from any large centers of population meaning it does not get a massive through put of shooters. Claymate system

Mid Wales SG - Really good gun shop and has trap and skeet as well as a reasonable sporting layout. 

Dovey Valley SG- Meant to be good but I have never been.

One advantage I have living in the midlands is that there is a variety of ground not too far away to suit most budgets. Some with just traps/ one layout  to others with large commercial gun shops and restaurants / cafe's.  As you travel to the lesser populated areas of the country the grounds seem to thin out as they just do not get the through put of people.

Richard

Absolutely fantastic and i thoroughly appreciate the feedback! I'm from Highland so used to small scale shoots. I generally have to travel to central Scotland for decent commercial stuff. Were planning 2 weeks in England-Shire, so we want to get about. Ill have a look at all you have mentioned. Best Regards, Cawdor!

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Shot both of these, but some years ago. Both had decent targets.

Smashing, i shall look at both.