choosing a FAC Shotgun

cowsmart

I'd check out independent reviews on the internet and also cost of spare barrels and/or chokes. I think that your choice of 3.5" is sensible or 3". But whatever I'd certainly want the thing future proof by being "superior steel" proof with the fleue-de-lys marking. If purely for pigeon I'd check out what's popular with the CLAY pigeon guys as their guns will shoot one hundred cartridges in a day...often twice...week in and week out. So the guns they use they choose for comfort of shooting, reliability between strip down and clean and longevity.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 minute ago, r1steele said:

If you can't stretch to the cost of the Beneli you could think about the Franchi. Not far off the same gun for around half the price.

Absolutely. Very very underrated guns for whatever reason, but one of the best out there in my opinion. 👍

I've never understood the need for fAC shotgun's on crop protection, I have shot a lot of pigeons and can only think of the odd occasion that I needed extra shots. So can someone explain to me the reason why there's a need . Not to be a killjoy, I'm genuinely interested.

Cheers.

Edited by muncher

50 minutes ago, motty said:

I would probably go for a second hand extrema 2, but that is just me.

I'd go with motty's view and muncher's.

A friend of mind shoots a FAC Remington and stuffing eight cartridges in it alters the balance considerable. In all the years we've been shooting together i've never seen him empty it.

Three shots at any one time is about his lot.

Beretta_Extreme33a.jpg     

35 minutes ago, muncher said:

I've never understood the need for fAC shotgun's on crop protection, I have shot a lot of pigeons and can only think of the odd occasion that I needed extra shots. So can someone explain to me the reason why there's a need . Not to be a killjoy, I'm genuinely interested.

Cheers.

I don’t think there is a ‘need’, it’s just personal preference. Must admit I never emptied mine whilst decoying, but a mate who owned it before me once did. 🙂

52 minutes ago, Scully said:

I don’t think there is a ‘need’, it’s just personal preference. Must admit I never emptied mine whilst decoying, but a mate who owned it before me once did. 🙂

Thanks, I just wondered, we all have different tastes.

A friend of mine once took a young chap to decoy Canada Geese. Chap turned up with an 8 shot. My pal had to literally hold him down as the geese planed in. Eventually the excited shooter burst up and emptied all 8 rapidly to no effect, whereupon my friend took his usual R&L with his SxS, laughing his socks off.

A 3-shot is useful in the hide in busy days, As long as you don’t take the third... two shots and a very quick reload sliding a cartridge in from underneath whilst still live and barrels towards the birds - it basically becomes unlimited if you have smooth hands. I had loan of one for a summer a few seasons ago and shot very well with it. However, I wasn’t fussed enough to buy one. I imagine with an 8 shot, by the time you’ve missed the first 7 then the last one is probably unlikely to hit its mark!

On 30/03/2020 at 13:02, Scully said:

It would have to be Benelli for me; it is the go to choice of every keeper I know, which is why I bought one. 🙂
Im assuming you’re talking self loader here and not pump? 

As above love my M2 can get 11 2 3/4 in it or 9 3in. But will be over your budget. I read that a lot of guys put the Benelli extractor claw & spring in to the Stoeger.

21 minutes ago, Konnie said:

If I understand it to be you cannot take a Fac weapon in persuit of game this includes wildfowling so as above with the geese was illegal, as it's as species not situation. 

So such a weapon is limited. 

Quite happy to accept what you say, but does not the fact that Canada’s were on general licence at the time alter that? Dunno??? 
It will never affect me personally as I wouldn’t have an FAC shotgun as a gift.

49 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

A 3-shot is useful in the hide in busy days, As long as you don’t take the third... two shots and a very quick reload sliding a cartridge in from underneath whilst still live and barrels towards the birds - it basically becomes unlimited if you have smooth hands. I had loan of one for a summer a few seasons ago and shot very well with it. However, I wasn’t fussed enough to buy one. I imagine with an 8 shot, by the time you’ve missed the first 7 then the last one is probably unlikely to hit its mark!

I once killed three for three with my old Winchester 1500 XTR while decoying pigeon. It was an exceptionally busy day I must admit; probably the best day in a hide mate and me had. I still remember it well...and still have the Winchester. 🙂

4 hours ago, muncher said:

Cheers.

given the way things are lately-you may be able to find an affordable M2 in a few months-Mine is a 24 inch barrel that I favour for decoying over winter osr when groups of 5,10 or more can come into the deeks. I usually let the first ones land before shooting those settling in to land-then I shoot at the ones who are now just taking off.

I don't load more than 6 to prevent getting trigger happy and keep the weight of the gun down. Loading a semi in the hide is far easier than an o/u and if its a red letter day-recoil effects are minimised.

That said, other than winters days when the hides get muddy, I do enjoy using my 'go to' MK38.

f.

30 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Three for three would be an acceptable way to break the rule, I never managed it that summer though 👍

I’ve only done it the once; it was an unforgettable day. 🙂

29 minutes ago, London Best said:

Rights and Lefts feel good. Right, Left and Centre must feel awesome. Well shot.

Thankyou. I did smile a bit I must admit. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Fuddster said:

given the way things are lately-you may be able to find an affordable M2 in a few months-Mine is a 24 inch barrel that I favour for decoying over winter osr when groups of 5,10 or more can come into the deeks. I usually let the first ones land before shooting those settling in to land-then I shoot at the ones who are now just taking off.

I don't load more than 6 to prevent getting trigger happy and keep the weight of the gun down. Loading a semi in the hide is far easier than an o/u and if its a red letter day-recoil effects are minimised.

That said, other than winters days when the hides get muddy, I do enjoy using my 'go to' MK38.

f.

When all this is over I may be getting my M2 chopped to 24”. Have been looking for a 24” barrel for it but the cost and timespan was ridiculous. May just have it chopped and fixed at 1/2 or 3/4. 
Mate has a 24” barrelled A391(?) Light. It is a fabulous little great fun auto, especially in a hide.