choosing a FAC Shotgun

cowsmart

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

When all this is over I may be getting my M2 chopped to 24”. Have been looking for a 24” barrel for it but the cost and timespan was ridiculous. May just have it chopped and fixed at 1/2 or 3/4. 
Mate has a 24” barrelled A391(?) Light. It is a fabulous little great fun auto, especially in a hide. 

Whoops-just realised my typo-mine is a 26 inch barrel-yes perfect for hide work-I find 1/2 choke works for me over decoys and at range-only thing I've found it doesn't suit me for roost shooting-I always revert to the o/u.

If you are chopping the barrel-would you keep it true or get it screwed for chokes? Do the barrels off any other Benelli's fit the M2?

f.

30 minutes ago, Fuddster said:

Whoops-just realised my typo-mine is a 26 inch barrel-yes perfect for hide work-I find 1/2 choke works for me over decoys and at range-only thing I've found it doesn't suit me for roost shooting-I always revert to the o/u.

If you are chopping the barrel-would you keep it true or get it screwed for chokes? Do the barrels off any other Benelli's fit the M2?

f.

My thinking was that if lead is going I’d just fix it at half, and just give a bit more thought to cartridges. 
Have asked all over if other Benelli barrels would fit. There was a (possibly still is ) secondhand 24” Montefeltro (?) barrel on GT. I have asked the seller several times if it will fit an M2, but they haven’t bothered to reply. 

18 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

I'd go with motty's view and muncher's.

A friend of mind shoots a FAC Remington and stuffing eight cartridges in it alters the balance considerable. In all the years we've been shooting together i've never seen him empty it.

Three shots at any one time is about his lot.

Beretta_Extreme33a.jpg     

Can you give me the exact model number of this Beretta 400 please  ? 

1 hour ago, Gameking said:

Can you give me the exact model number of this Beretta 400 please  ? 

Sure no problem.

I bought it new in Feb 2016. It's a brilliant gun and a keeper !

It's a  Beretta A400 Xtreme Unico Black Synthetic 

Chambered for 3 1/2 inch carts but i've only ever put a few 3ins through it. I use it mainly for pigeon shooting 28g to 32g loads. It's very soft shooting.

I hope this helps a bit.  

Thank you for the prompt reply.
I had a 391 Beretta and then went to a  Miroku O/U, currently have a SX3 , but I fancy another semi and have seen the Unico before but they seem to have a bronze or green coloured receiver.

I do like the all black look with synthetic stock.

Edited by Gameking

34 minutes ago, Gameking said:

Thank you for the prompt reply.
I had a 391 Beretta and then went to a  Miroku O/U, currently have a SX3 , but I fancy another semi and have seen the Unico before but they seem to have a bronze or green coloured receiver.

I do like the all black look with synthetic stock.

My pleasure.

Beretta never seem to stop making tweaks to their range of S/A's. I've owned a few different ones over the years 302, Al391 urika 2 (20 bore), AL391 Teknys , A400 lite and a few Benelli's.

The Beretta A400 Xtreme Unico Black Synthetic is a keeper. It suits me, it's quite heavy though and maybe it wouldn't suit a smaller light weight person quite so well. 

Safety is the biggest advantage in a hide, of any repeater shotgun IMHO as you don't have to break it to reload.

This therefore means the thing always remains muzzle upwards. So TWO safety benefits of that are 1) No risk of a blocked muzzle from putting the barrels into the earth 2) No sweeping of the loaded and closed gun through the horizontal plane as it can be loaded with the muzzle upwards. 

Personally I never shoot two in a hide if it can be avoided but if it can't then I always have one gun in use and that by the front occupant and you sit in tandem not sit alongside each other. 

22 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Safety is the biggest advantage in a hide, of any repeater shotgun IMHO as you don't have to break it to reload.

This therefore means the thing always remains muzzle upwards. So TWO safety benefits of that are 1) No risk of a blocked muzzle from putting the barrels into the earth 2) No sweeping of the loaded and closed gun through the horizontal plane as it can be loaded with the muzzle upwards. 

Personally I never shoot two in a hide if it can be avoided but if it can't then I always have one gun in use and that by the front occupant and you sit in tandem not sit alongside each other. 

Each to their own.