AYA N.O 4 Boxlock

£750

12 gauge Shotgun Trade Seller
Used - Excellent Condition NORWICH, Norfolk
Side by Side, 1/4 Choke, 3/4 Choke, - barrels
For_sale_1_001 For_sale_1_002

Description

Aya Number 4 Boxlock Ejector.

Very well looked after, (Due to belonging to a gentleman in service at Sandringham Estate Norfolk).

Excellent Condition.

The seller of this gun doesn't appear to be a Pigeon Watch member, to contact them please use the details on Gun Watch.

View the full article

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

Don’t want to sound pedantic, but the side plate is a sidelock. There is a world of difference, especially in value.

Just sayin’.

Not all side plates are true side locks, some are added over and just cosmetic. That one in the other picture, is actually priced for less than this gun... 

Besides, after about 2 seconds of looking, it was apparent that the OP just added the wrong pics, as the other gun is also listed for sale by him... 

Yeah, I realise all that. I was merely trying to point out that the wrong gun in the pic was actually a sidelock (witness the pins on the side plate). The price reflects the quality / condition of the two different makes of gun.

Stay safe, keep away from the germs!

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yeah, I realise all that. I was merely trying to point out that the wrong gun in the pic was actually a sidelock (witness the pins on the side plate). The price reflects the quality / condition of the two different makes of gun.

Stay safe, keep away from the germs!

I know which one I would choose out of the two. Incidentally looking closely at the picture it has a 'churchill' rib which would suggest it has considerably shorter barrels than 27'' listed. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/04/2020 at 12:19, MrPhantom said:

I know which one I would choose out of the two. Incidentally looking closely at the picture it has a 'churchill' rib which would suggest it has considerably shorter barrels than 27'' listed. 

Why would a Churchill rib suggest it has shorter barrels ? 

Not all side plates are true sidelocks? I thought that it is either one or the other - a Sidelock is a totally different Animal to a Side Plate - a Boxlock can have side plates, a Side lock cant?

Boxlocks, yes, can have sideplates. The Cogswell & Harrison "Sandhurst" and "Konor" models for example. The plates do nothing in so far as the firing of the gun is involved but add decoration and, maybe, a strengthening of the head of the stock.

Sidelock guns the "sideplates" themselves carry the hammers and the springs that power those hammers. It's been often said that if there had been no hammer guns there's have been no sidelocks. For a sidelock gun is essentially a hammer gun but with the hammers internal to the lockplate rather then external to it. Not quite but it makes the point.

But to complicate matters you then have bar locks and back action locks. A back action lock being essentially an hammer gun's island lock with internal hammers. Many of the Holland and Holland large calibre double rifles were in fact back action locks as were their Dominion shotguns. 

Last but not least you have guns that are, yes, true bar lock guns but the action yet has "shoulders". Think some early William Powell guns. And finally you've some sidelocks that are five pin and other seven pin and even some that have the appearance of such but are...the BRNO "sidelock"...actually a plate with a hammer powered by a coil spring.

Oh...a trigger plate guns such as the Scottish round action are actually sidelock guns not boxlocks. Despite what they look like from the outside.

Edited by enfieldspares

55 minutes ago, sishyplops said:

Why would a Churchill rib suggest it has shorter barrels ? 

...because Churchill ribs only appear on short barrelled guns. By design the rib is very narrow and slightly raised and gives the short barrelled gun the illusion of having longer barrels.That was the theory anyway 🙂

Thanks Mrphanton I only asked as I have an AYA no4 with a Churchill rib that is 28” barrel also has a scalloped action like the deluxe I was curious when I bought it so enquired with ASI and Edward the MD kindly sent me this below, nice little gun to own 

Thank you for your email enquiring about information on your AYA shotgun, serial number 577885.

The gun in question is actually an AYA Nº 4 built on the 'Best Quality Boxlock' action. It was made in 1992 and sold to a dealer in Suffolk, so it has not moved far in its life!

It was not a special order as such, but it was part of a small production run of guns finished as Nº 4 but with the scalloped action and 28" Churchill ribbed barrels - a kind of limited edition.

1 hour ago, sishyplops said:

Thanks Mrphanton I only asked as I have an AYA no4 with a Churchill rib that is 28” barrel also has a scalloped action like the deluxe I was curious when I bought it so enquired with ASI and Edward the MD kindly sent me this below, nice little gun to own 

Thank you for your email enquiring about information on your AYA shotgun, serial number 577885.

The gun in question is actually an AYA Nº 4 built on the 'Best Quality Boxlock' action. It was made in 1992 and sold to a dealer in Suffolk, so it has not moved far in its life!

It was not a special order as such, but it was part of a small production run of guns finished as Nº 4 but with the scalloped action and 28" Churchill ribbed barrels - a kind of limited edition.

Thanks for that, very interesting. I knew some 26'' barrel guns had Churchill ribs but never heard of any that were longer until now. Sounds like a lovely unique gun - what's it like to shoot?  I've got a bog standard no.4 that I rarely use these days and in today's market hardly worth selling.