Update from BASC / DEFRA

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

Well that’s about as clear as mud, the response from Westmidlands/Staffordshire Police

Dear David

We haven’t been given any guidance on this question as yet but can only refer you to the Government guidelines which state you can only go outside for one of the following reasons:

Shopping for basic necessities

One form of exercise a day

Any medical need or to provide help for a vulnerable person

Travelling to and from work but only where this can absolutely cannot be done from home

Kind regards

Sue Johnson

Sounds like............. “you do as you wish, but the police reserve the right to prosecute you, if we so choose”

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Sounds like............. “you do as you wish, but the police reserve the right to prosecute you, if we so choose”

From the email it looks like the police will only follow government guidelines and no more, I think the only way this will be sorted is for DEFRA to get a travel agreement for pest control and that info is sent to all police forces, then something like a downloadable travel permit that you carry with you when out shooting.

6 minutes ago, old'un said:

From the email it looks like the police will only follow government guidelines and no more, I think the only way this will be sorted is for DEFRA to get a travel agreement for pest control and that info is sent to all police forces, then something like a downloadable travel permit that you carry with you when out shooting.

That's much too sensible - how are police on the ground supposed to collect fines and virtue signal their elected commissioners are doing something if Defra spoils it for them?

16 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

That's much too sensible - how are police on the ground supposed to collect fines and virtue signal their elected commissioners are doing something if Defra spoils it for them?

Yep, the way we stand at the moment is you take your chances and if you are unlucky enough to get a jobs-worth copper pull you over and give you a ticket for being out then hard luck.

At the moment we can convince ourselves we should be out controlling pests but as the reply from Westmid/Staffs police, you must follow government guidelines on travel.

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if your unhappy with a police response ask to move up the chain of command or complain treading softly with this sort of thing is not a option it’s a put your foot down job or you will just be fobbed of 

I think you will get the exact same reply from the man at the top, they can only follow government guidelines.

What force do you come under?   

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Like quite a few on PW then?

.Gov and shooting orgs don't seem willing or capable of computing that there can be some more feasible additions to their small page of exceptions - rather like a few on PW.

To be fair it would make things very difficult to identify all ways that airborne virus distancing and surface contact can be better served than they instruct in general - but its difficult for most to acheive more than two metres much of the time - so lets just settle for that then. :unhappy:

Well some of us feel that two metres is not ideally far enough: Several hours alone in a reasonably local field, getting directly there and back alone is clearly better than staying home in close proximity to other people.

The current 'keep it simple' thinking doesn't see far enough out of the box - but some people who the authorities have deeply investigated and deem responsible enough to be trusted with firearms and bullets are able to see the flaw and have the means to vastly improve their virus distancing whilst also not losing their shooting permission and reason to possess.

I think most of the rools is rools members on here would agree with the field if it was just walking or jogging. :ermm:

Edited by Dave-G

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

.Gov and shooting orgs don't seem willing or capable of computing that there can be some more feasible additions to their small page of exceptions - rather like a few on PW.

To be fair it would make things very difficult to identify all ways that airborne virus distancing and surface contact can be better served than they instruct in general - but its difficult for most to acheive more than two metres much of the time - so lets just settle for that then. :unhappy:

Well some of us feel that two metres is not ideally far enough: Several hours alone in a reasonably local field, getting directly there and back alone is clearly better than staying home in close proximity to other people.

The current 'keep it simple' thinking doesn't see far enough out of the box - but some people who the authorities have deeply investigated and deem responsible enough to be trusted with firearms and bullets are able to see the flaw and have the means to vastly improve their virus distancing whilst also not losing their shooting permission and reason to possess.

I think most of the rools is rools members on here would agree with the field if it was just walking or jogging. :ermm:

Well the lockdown appears to be working in relation to the rise in deaths from Covid 19 that are not massively accelerating but staying at a steady rate.

If I could get to my permissions on foot I would probably be out shooting when not at work.

The terms "Key Worker," "essential journey" and "unable to work from home" are being miss-understood by quite a few, the vehicles on the road figures went up on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, but appear to have levelled out today.

Some people seem to be clutching to the few Police Forces or  even individual FEO's that have given poor answers to enquiries regarding the shooting of woodpigeons. Or even single Police Officers who have condoned shooters being out.

I emailed the local police hq with the query and they called me straight back and confirmed they were OK with it as long as there was a valid reason - ie for the control of pests to preserve the food chain. They also advised to notify them of the shoot through their voluntary system (which I always do) to prevent the FAOs being called out. Been out several times on my permissions the last few days and had no bother. 

Stay safe 

Just been announced by Matt Hancock, stay at home as gone from a request to an order. In all honesty the announce was aimed at the thousands of people that may take advantage of this weekends good weather to swarm all over the country side and coastal towns  like they did two weeks ago. It was not aimed at one or two pest control shooters going about their business.

Just now, craig1982 said:

Just been announced by Matt Hancock, stay at home as gone from a request to an order. In all honesty the announce was aimed at the thousands of people that may take advantage of this weekends good weather to swarm all over the country side and coastal towns  like they did two weeks ago. It was not aimed at one or two pest control shooters going about their business.

Exactly. As I’ve just said, Government and NHS advice remains the same. 
The remark was made generally, in response to an idiotic question by a journalist asking if it was ok for families to go out in groups for picnics this weekend as the weather forecast was good. 
It will be perfectly fine for families to have picnics etc in their gardens, if they have gardens, but not acceptable to travel to do so. 
The advice remains the same. 

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Exactly. As I’ve just said, Government and NHS advice remains the same. 
The remark was made generally, in response to an idiotic question by a journalist asking if it was ok for families to go out in groups for picnics this weekend as the weather forecast was good. 
It will be perfectly fine for families to have picnics etc in their gardens, if they have gardens, but not acceptable to travel to do so. 
The advice remains the same. 

where do these doozies come from - It was the "entitled" Generation Z idiots with their "Milenial" parents that caused the problems 2 weeks ago!:mad:

47 minutes ago, Scully said:

Government and NHS advice remains the same as it has done from the outset of the lockdown. 

Well it will be interesting to see how the police interpret Matt Hancock’s  "not a request to stay at home but an instruction to-do so.