Update from BASC / DEFRA

39 minutes ago, old'un said:

Well it will be interesting to see how the police interpret Matt Hancock’s  "not a request to stay at home but an instruction to-do so.

The same as they have interpreted other requests I would think, as nothing has changed. I’m not being difficult, seriously, it’s simply that literally nothing has changed. Hancock hasn’t instructed police to ramp up their actions, or otherwise. Nothing has changed. 
He was simply responding to a stupid question, and making it clear in no uncertain terms, what he expected of those who may think it ok to venture out for a picnic; Boris said much the same thing regarding the temptation some may feel to travel somewhere because the weather was forecast to get warmer. He pleaded for people to adhere to the advice already given. 

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could be correct and the police don’t up the anti, also I don’t know if you have seen this post but it is interesting for those in the Durham force area and hope it may lead other forces to follow..https://www.durham.police.uk/Information-and-advice/firearms-and-firearms-licensing/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by old'un

7 minutes ago, old'un said:

You could be correct and the police don’t up the anti, also I don’t know if you have seen this post but it is interesting for those in the Durham force area and hope it may lead other forces to follow..https://www.durham.police.uk/Information-and-advice/firearms-and-firearms-licensing/Pages/default.aspx

I hadn’t seen that, thanks for the heads up. 👍

I've borrowed this from a poster on another site. Police and shooting orgs need to see what happens when some vermin are left to do their worst. If a lone shooter can travel directly a short distance to deal with issues like this - and maintain hundreds of yards distant from anyone else it needs to be done, even as best practice because that is much better than staying in a house in close proximity to other people. For those who cannot fathom what happened here, the crow pecked out the eyes of this sheep - often by latching onto its head and the sheep will very likely have been giving birth at the time with no opportunity to escape.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=864130700677369&set=gm.2637695999844853&type=3&eid=ARDb0GmyuNU4A0qq3d91p83QrTbbO6UDp1_7wW65sL5dqwHswc-b5s4rjCHrLXrCcGREz9N-r8R4Wu6W

Edited by Dave-G

I wasn't able to save the image yesterday to post it up here but can today for some reason. There are other images out there too. If pest controllers are not to be allowed out the police can stand by for a lot more FAC applications from farmers who don't necessarily want to be doing it themselves, possibly because they don't much like dealing with the police:

91545436_864130704010702_2492527619614965760_n.jpg.fd3f07c0ac81d874c77506b16b2d78c6.jpg

Edited by Dave-G

Am I the only one who is appalled by the selfish desire of some to circumvent government advice with the sole aim of going out shooting to enjoy themselves.

A few dead sheep or the loss of a couple of acres of barley hardly compare with what the nation is going through at this moment. For heaven's sake, do as has been advised in the strongest terms, stay at home.

4 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Am I the only one who is appalled by the selfish desire of some to circumvent government advice with the sole aim of going out shooting to enjoy themselves.

A few dead sheep or the loss of a couple of acres of barley hardly compare with what the nation is going through at this moment. For heaven's sake, do as has been advised in the strongest terms, stay at home.

You are not the only one, it beggars belief.

10 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

7 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

You are not the only one, it beggars belief.

Are those two posts in response to the picture posted by Dave-G, showing a sheep covered in blood?   

And do you both consider that "..... the selfish desire of some to circumvent government advice with the sole aim of going out shooting to enjoy themselves" is an accurate way to describe pest control intended to prevent suffering of farm animals?

11 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Are those two posts in response to the picture posted by Dave-G, showing a sheep covered in blood?   

And do you both consider that "..... the selfish desire of some to circumvent government advice with the sole aim of going out shooting to enjoy themselves" is an accurate way to describe pest control intended to prevent suffering of farm animals?

My reply was to this. "quote charlie T.

A few dead sheep or the loss of a couple of acres of barley hardly compare with what the nation is going through at this moment. For heaven's sake, do as has been advised in the strongest terms, stay at home.".

And just to reiterate here. what i said. "You are not the only one, it beggars belief. "

55 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Some people just cannot seem to fathom that being isolated say 200 metres away from anyone else in fresh air is better than staying in a house or passing someone who may have just unwittingly coughed out a load of virus on a local footpath near their housing estate.

Yes it would of course be more enjoyable than being cooped up but that is not the purpose of pest control to people who have empathy for a farmer seeing his livestock horribly maimed before having to get himself or someone out anyway to despatch it.

Read the papers about people already smashing their way into supermarkets for food - we need to help our farmers raise every morsel of meat grain and vegetetables.

What happens when gangs smash their way in to peoples homes to raid food that they won't or can't queue up for hours to buy. They are not the ones SOME coppers will be dishing out fines to for travelling a couple of miles to be alone in a field.

Edited by Dave-G

17 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Some people just cannot seem to fathom that being isolated say 200 metres away from anyone else in fresh air is better than staying in a house or passing someone who may have just unwittingly coughed out a load of virus on a local footpath near their housing estate.

Yes it would of course be more enjoyable than being cooped up but that is not the purpose of pest control to people who have empathy for a farmer seeing his livestock horribly maimed before having to get himself or someone out anyway to despatch it.

Read the papers about people already smashing their way into supermarkets for food - we need to help our farmers raise every morsel of meat grain and vegetetables.

What happens when gangs smash their way in to peoples homes to raid food that they won't or can't queue up for hours to buy. They are not the ones SOME coppers will be dishing out fines to for travelling a couple of miles to be alone in a field.

Advice is clear stay home. It will not always be the case, but it is now. over 700 died today by now. Its not about not wanting to protect crops or livestock. Its about trying to prevent this virus from killing others or ourselves. 

Pushing limits or deciding what is acceptable is all well and good up to a point, but the law has taken the course it has to ensure the safety of us all as practically as possible.

This is a busy time of year for me foxing, but i am going no where until this is over end of.

13 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

This is a busy time of year for me foxing, but i am going no where until this is over end of.

Spring is the most important time of the year for all farmers apart from harvesting, but there is also a matter that some have to risk losing the permission that justifies their firearm certificate or calibre. If their renewal time is on the horizon then just let it slide? instead of being out alone hundreds of yards from anyone else and keeping his farmer happy, protected and permission intact.

If you have lots of permissions or an especially guaranteed one you can let down for several months - as is likely because we may keep getting deferred then good for you, stay in close proximity to other people all day every day. :good:

Edited by Dave-G

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Advice is clear stay home. It will not always be the case, but it is now. over 700 died today by now. Its not about not wanting to protect crops or livestock. Its about trying to prevent this virus from killing others or ourselves. 

Pushing limits or deciding what is acceptable is all well and good up to a point, but the law has taken the course it has to ensure the safety of us all as practically as possible.

Yours thoughts are shared with the majority on the forum , 700+ dead today and more dying daily is scary stuff , let's all comply with the guide lines and the sooner we bring this nightmare to a close the better.

17 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Yours thoughts are shared with the majority on the forum , 700+ dead today and more dying daily is scary stuff , let's all comply with the guide lines and the sooner we bring this nightmare to a close the better.

Unfortunately many of those will have caught it from being in stupidly close proximity to other humans - sometimes wantonly mingling with friends and family, sometimes innocently and unwittingly. I'd rather be much further away than two metres where it can be done.

Can we not wonder how many catch it from flies in a field? It has to be safer being a great distance from ANY other human.

I'll ask you a direct question - what would you be saying if we did it on foot or bike without taking a rifle? I've asked it before but nobody has answered it.

Edited by Dave-G

7 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Spring is the most important time of the year for all farmers apart from harvesting, but there is also a matter that some have to risk losing the permission that justifies their firearm certificate or calibre. If their renewal time is on the horizon then just let it slide? instead of being out alone hundreds of yards from anyone else and keeping his farmer happy, protected and permission intact.

If you have lots of permissions or an especially guaranteed one you can let down for several months - as is likely because we may keep getting deferred then good for you, stay in close proximity to other people all day every day. :good:

this post is meant with the greatest of respect dave.

whilst most of us can understand where youre coming from dave , and most of us have a very good understanding of the countryside and farming , and most of us would also be out shooting today/tonight (including me) if we could , we just all need to stick to government advice at the moment mate, the best soldiers in this war , are the ones that are staying at home . the government will fully understand the need for pest control , and over the next few weeks , the pros and cons of pest control will be weighed up , and steps taken to make sure that the situation gets sorted,   in the most advantageous way to benefit the farmers of the uk. 

most on here will also know that youre a top bloke , and that youre just champing at the bit , to get out and play your part mate , just wait a while , your turn is coming :good:

26 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Unfortunately many of those will have caught it from being in stupidly close proximity to other humans - sometimes wantonly mingling with friends and family, sometimes innocently and unwittingly. I'd rather be much further away than two metres where it can be done.

Can we not wonder how many catch it from flies in a field? It has to be safer being a great distance from ANY other human.

I'll ask you a direct question - what would you be saying if we did it on foot or bike without taking a rifle? I've asked it before but nobody has answered it.

I'll bite, although I have previously stated If I could walk to my permissions with the decoying kit I would be out shooting.

But I can't, so I along with the vast majority of sensible people are isolating as decreed by the Government.

ok another point mps are NOT keeping apart if you watch the news one arrives in a car driving by someone else he also had a lady in with him thats not 2 meters  apart army sleep in same area eat in the same mess  not 2 meters apart bin men travel 3 in the cab  none are 2 meters apart