Update from BASC / DEFRA

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Dont quote  facts whatever you do.

Dangerous I know. The government may call it advice, much like advising you not to drink drive or steal things but it is in fact law. 

At some point they may stop calling it advice. I may worry when they do. 

to travel for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living;

Taken from the legislation. One of the listed reasons for travel.

1 minute ago, GingerCat said:

Dangerous I know. The government may call it advice, much like advising you not to drink drive or steal things but it is in fact law. 

At some point they may stop calling it advice. I may worry when they do. 

Drink driving/ robberey / Sudenley finding myself in trouble for going out protecting crops and livestock.  Not a problem for me. I am not about to test any of these in a court of law.  Ps just to let everybody know,  i am tocked up under the stairs cowering with all the women and small kids.

Coward. ME? Too ******* right a streak two mile wide.

4 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Drink driving/ robberey / Sudenley finding myself in trouble for going out protecting crops and livestock.  Not a problem for me. I am not about to test any of these in a court of law.  Ps just to let everybody know,  i am tocked up under the stairs cowering with all the women and small kids.

Coward. ME? Too ******* right a streak two mile wide.

son people are dying out there this is not the time for fishing for a row 

43 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Taken from the legislation. One of the listed reasons for travel.

Test it go do some charitable services . When you been to court been acquitted we will all know were good to go. go for it. :good:

I am only scared of two things.  women and the police.

Edited by lancer425

11 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Test it go do some charitable services . When you been to court been acquitted we will all know were good to go. go for it. :good:

Some people already have tested it and haven't been arrested or taken to court.

And just to clarify, I never said it was charitable, but it is definitely voluntary and it is definitely a service.

Charitable was highlighted because it was part of the sentence.

Edited by Newbie to this

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Some people already have tested it and haven't been arrested or taken to court.

And just to clarify, I never said it was charitable, but it is definitely voluntary and it is definitely a service.

Charitable was highlighted because it was part of the sentence.

either way there’s enough cover for us so long as the police are happy which most are now i can’t see a problem apart from my phones stopped ringing lol 

Something I've noticed lately is the amount of calls telling police about people breaching the new laws. If you were shooting and an anti sees you whilst walking,  you can guarantee a call would be going in and that you may well get a visit. 

Given that it is in fact law and not guidance and you would most likely be breaking it, your feo may take a dim view, or the duty inspector may just revoke it on the spot  as they sometimes do.  Leicester seems ok with pest control, others probably also ok however it's a gamble you may not want to take. 

If you were in a field, not far from home and no footpaths whilst controlling pests then It would have to be a very very determined officer to do very much about it. They simply have more pressing matters to deal with given that a lot of the force is off with Corona virus as the only protection until yesterday was gloves and hand gel. Yesterday saw face masks introduced that have to be reused. A friend could have done with that when spat on. 

6 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Something I've noticed lately is the amount of calls telling police about people breaching the new laws. If you were shooting and an anti sees you whilst walking,  you can guarantee a call would be going in and that you may well get a visit. 

Given that it is in fact law and not guidance and you would most likely be breaking it, your feo may take a dim view, or the duty inspector may just revoke it on the spot  as they sometimes do.  Leicester seems ok with pest control, others probably also ok however it's a gamble you may not want to take.

Thats how i see it.

15 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

If you were in a field, not far from home and no footpaths whilst controlling pests then It would have to be a very very determined officer to do very much about it. They simply have more pressing matters to deal with given that a lot of the force is off with Corona virus as the only protection until yesterday was gloves and hand gel. Yesterday saw face masks introduced that have to be reused. A friend could have done with that when spat on. 

I've always said from the start on this subject, get something in writing.

I wouldn't even be happy going with a yes over the phone, unless I recorded the call, and even then maybe not.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

I've always said from the start on this subject, get something in writing.

I wouldn't even be happy going with a yes over the phone, unless I recorded the call.

no need mate 101 where and what your doing get ref number saves the police coming out works fine 

Nothing has changed; the advice remains the same. 
On a quite humorous note ( well it made me smile anyhow ) I started work today in an Alms house, where I have done much work in the past. It is occupied by thirteen women( most of pensionable age ) all of whom have their own tiny one up one down cottages. At the rear of the courtyard, is a private garden with a huge lawn, and I found it amusing to see many of the occupants in sun loungers and deckchairs sunning themselves whilst having a good old chin wag, just like all those people I saw in the parks on the news over the weekend.  
I considered calling the Police, but each to their own. 🙂

As I have got no intention in going shooting  until the bare minimum the lock down is lifted, I have had time to follow this ongoing debate about a certain few going to the front line and saving the farmers crop from a total loss , with those spending all this time on PW telling us why this is so essential to carry out while everyone is told to stay at home , I am beginning to wonder if they have got any time left to go and shoot some of crop destroying pigeons :lol:

18 minutes ago, marsh man said:

As I have got no intention in going shooting  until the bare minimum the lock down is lifted, I have had time to follow this ongoing debate about a certain few going to the front line and saving the farmers crop from a total loss , with those spending all this time on PW telling us why this is so essential to carry out while everyone is told to stay at home , I am beginning to wonder if they have got any time left to go and shoot some of crop destroying pigeons 

always find time for the pige just need the phone to ring nice blue field and no call climbing the walls now 

Just now, JKD said:

Apologies,,,, but saw Matt Hancock say the other day that the rules and guidance had, quote "the backing of law" unquote?

Could you please explain that statement 😕 Genuine question.

Nope, mr Hancock might help you out though as he made it. 

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

I am only scared of two things.  women and the police.

Court? A little bit dramatic!

3 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Was that in Leicester? I know someone who had kicked off at home then spat at an attending officer and told him he has the virus. Currently on bail.

I was talking to the head FEO of Essex Police this morning as I’m having an address change sorted and called him up. 
I asked his opinion on the above argument. 
He advised:

Follow BASC’s advice. If it’s essential pest control, you’re out on your own, you will be social distanced etc... then it’s ok. He gave some scenarios...

- if you are pigeon shooting on freshly drilled peas etc... for later year crop protection - that’s essential. 
- if you are roost shooting or just walking about taking the odd pop at a pigeon etc... it’s not. 
- if you are shooting rabbits on a field to protect horses/donkeys from leg breaks because of rabbit damage to paddock, that’s essential. 
- if you are shooting rabbits on a golf course to protect the green, it’s not essential. 

Basically - protecting livestock, animals and crops are essential - protecting trees and fields for golf, deer damage, ‘just because’ isn’t. 

He said that it’s best to phone 101 and get a URN each time you go - as police have been advised that if they get called out to you and you haven’t got a good reason to be there, they are to sizes guns and certs and the licensing team will review your case after all this COVID stuff is over as they obviously can’t pop out to see you and ask you what you were up to etc... if you have legit reason to be there (as above) and also have a URN, it’s fine to be sorted. 

For me personally: 

I’ll still be shooting the rabbits on the horse and donkey paddocks as they are less than 2 minutes from my house. I’ll use my HMR. I’ll get a URN each time I go now in case. 
I won’t be going over to shoot the rabbits at the golf club I shoot, as much as the owner is asking me to, as I can’t claim it as Essential - the FEO made it clear that ‘protecting grass so idiots can bat balls around it later’ isn’t essential.