Update from BASC / DEFRA

5 minutes ago, clangerman said:

well planned on sitting in a packed park tomorrow or could join the idiots walking about ignoring distancing maybe go shopping with the ques of shoppers but all spoilt by a farmer ringing to shoot peas so have to risk my life sitting in a empty forty acre field 

You are certainly in demand clangerman , stay clear of footpaths , due to be a hot day tomorrow with plenty of people out on exercise . 

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, marsh man said:

You are certainly in demand clangerman , stay clear of footpaths , due to be a hot day tomorrow with plenty of people out on exercise . 

same chap as last time he’s upped the amount of peas this year bad timing no paths on this part of the farm but I always keep a eye out for walkers anyway 

35 minutes ago, clangerman said:

well planned on sitting in a packed park tomorrow or could join the idiots walking about ignoring distancing maybe go shopping with the ques of shoppers but all spoilt by a farmer ringing to shoot peas so have to risk my life sitting in a empty forty acre field 

RIP:good:

I got a letter this morning from my wildfowling club to say all Pigeon shooting on the farms and the land they rent have been suspended until further notice , I used to shoot most of the land before the clubs took them on and I dare say I could get written permission to go on the farms but no way would I over ride there decision . they must have thought long and hard before they called it a day and obviously thought it was the safest and the wisest thing to do . STAY SAFE

Went out to one of my permissions today, during my drive up a bridle path saw 3 cars parked up,  obviously out for walks in the woods !  Got to the farm which is part arable,  part open sow units totally open to the elements. The newly drilled fields were devoid of any birds. The sow units were black with crows and jackdaws. Set up a few decoys near the sow units. Shot a 50 mixed bag of crows and jackdaws. Closest contact with another person was 2 lads in a tractor about 50 yards away. Packed all the gear back into the Defender, sanitized my hands with gel then drove 15 mins home. As  I'm the only shooter on my permissions I feel as safe as one can in these horrible times. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Others see it differently, and as long as they are complying with whatever is expected of them then they’re free to do so.
That may well change, but currently it isn’t illegal. 

I am not sure, I am a bit of a MM harry. I like to do things right, i am terribly unlucky. If freak accident happen its generaly me on the recieving end. If there is a speed trap first time ever , i am clent no 1.

No A i dont feel i am being responsible going out. And B i know i will end up loosing my guns its the kind of luck i have.

Good luck everybody whatever you decide to do. im locked down untill im told. you guys can do as you like.

35 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I am not sure, I am a bit of a MM harry. I like to do things right, i am terribly unlucky. If freak accident happen its generaly me on the recieving end. If there is a speed trap first time ever , i am clent no 1.

No A i dont feel i am being responsible going out. And B i know i will end up loosing my guns its the kind of luck i have.

Good luck everybody whatever you decide to do. im locked down untill im told. you guys can do as you like.

That’s more like it. Each to their own.  Thankyou. 

4 hours ago, old'un said:

If there were that many pigeons destroying field after field I wonder why the farmer did not call out some shooters or put gas guns on the fields?

Sorry to say, but posts like this only go to serve the arguments of WJ and the like. 

Why are we allowed to control pigeons, again?

4 hours ago, Dave-G said:

according to some of the posts on here, spring crop pests can now be removed from the general licence as its no longer essential unless it is done by somebody who gets paid to do it. :ermm:

Anyone got WJ's number to tell them the good news?

It amazes me how people don't seem to realise what they are saying!

1 hour ago, Scully said:

That’s more like it. Each to their own.  Thankyou. 

I think a lot of folk are scared to go out, because the police might get to them, rather than for any moral reasons. In turn, this makes them more vocal for others to do likewise!

21 minutes ago, motty said:

I think a lot of folk are scared to go out, because the police might get to them, rather than for any moral reasons. In turn, this makes them more vocal for others to do likewise!

Spot on Motty! . . . . I had another shooter challenge me and ask me what i thought i was doing going shooting at this time (shoots same perm). Answer! Because i was asked to!       NB!

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

It is very unlucky to get caught by a speed camera. Especially when your doing below the speed limit... if you’re over the limit I don’t think you can really call it unlucky....

The main thing is to use common sense over the last few weeks we've shot over 150 rabbits on a few fields and instead of 2 of us going to the estate in 1 truck we drive there in separate trucks maintain social distancing. I haven't seen anyone whilst out. Pigeon shooting don't share a hide. Farmers asks me to do the essential pest control. Peas being drilled soon. So with pigeons,  rabbits and foxes on outdoor pig breeding unit and lambing fields I'm busy at the moment. 

6 hours ago, motty said:

Why are people who are "doing it for a living" allowed to keep doing it? Key work, is it?

Why keep chirping on about emergency services? More chance of all the cyclists everywhere being hurt. 

See, I understand why pubs, cinemas, shops, flights etc have ceased to continue, as this makes perfect sense.

The law is very clear you can only leave home to get food ,work if you can’t work from home (like me) does not have to be key work ,health reasons or 1 hour of exercise  .There are no exceptions it is the law .It is clear that you do not agree with this law and have decided as a shotgun certificate holder that you do not have to abide by any of it ignoring the reasons why it is in place ,a global pandemic killing thousands ,so as a certificate holder you will ignore the law and carry on regardless.is this correct ?there is a bigger picture concerning the emergency services which you don’t understand if you can’t see it sorry I can’t help you with that one .

If everyone was choosing to ignore the government and carry on regardless as you have said you will ,then probably we would be looking at a lot more than the 900+ who died today.

1 hour ago, holloway said:

The law is very clear you can only leave home to get food ,work if you can’t work from home (like me) does not have to be key work ,health reasons or 1 hour of exercise  .There are no exceptions it is the law .It is clear that you do not agree with this law and have decided as a shotgun certificate holder that you do not have to abide by any of it ignoring the reasons why it is in place ,a global pandemic killing thousands ,so as a certificate holder you will ignore the law and carry on regardless.is this correct ?there is a bigger picture concerning the emergency services which you don’t understand if you can’t see it sorry I can’t help you with that one .

If everyone was choosing to ignore the government and carry on regardless as you have said you will ,then probably we would be looking at a lot more than the 900+ who died today.

people going out in the correct manner are NOT breaking the law suggest you look the rules on lock down up mate 

9 hours ago, motty said:

I'm not pigeon shooting as I'm following the govt. instruction, cut and pasted from the 1st line of the 1st page on their website.

Stay at home

• Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

Imagine if all pigeon shooters were to go out this Easter weekend … (all self-justified) … what message does that send?

And please don't think that a yield loss on crops is essential .. billions being lost in most quarters !!

Clearly others have different views, but for me it's 100% moral … we're in this together, and it's about the sprit of compliance … not about finding loopholes to enjoy ourselves.

45 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I'm not pigeon shooting as I'm following the govt. instruction, cut and pasted from the 1st line of the 1st page on their website.

Stay at home

• Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

Imagine if all pigeon shooters were to go out this Easter weekend … (all self-justified) … what message does that send?

And please don't think that a yield loss on crops is essential .. billions being lost in most quarters !!

Clearly others have different views, but for me it's 100% moral … we're in this together, and it's about the sprit of compliance … not about finding loopholes to enjoy ourselves.

One of the most sensible replies yet .

10 hours ago, motty said:

I believe the vast majority of members have got other reasons  than because the police might get them , what a strange statement to make .

To begin with , I along with many others don't get calls from farmers that are worried about pigeons on fresh drill , maybe they know they are not doing that much harm and while everyone else is also drilling they will be off in a matter of days .

You are not allowed to drive out and look for the pigeons like you would normally do as that wouldn't be classed as essential , and that ruling apply to everyone .

As I shoot pigeons for the sport and enjoyment , then that would rule that out as you can no longer shoot Pigeons purely for the sport .

I have never wasted Pigeons before lock down and I am not likely to get around the current regulations in order to shoot pigeons and then haven't got any outlet to off load them , Going back to forums one of the top , if not the top pigeon shooter ( PC ) , when asked what he would do if he couldn't move the dead pigeons on was , Stop Shooting Them , simple answer without beating about the bush

No doubt if your wild fowling club have got land to shoot pigeons on they like ours would have stopped all shooting for the foreseeable future in order to comply with the guidelines and no doubt for moral reasons as well .

Once or twice the G L events from last year was brought into play , with what went on last year compared with what is going on today is a million miles away , some peoples lives have already changed for ever and I fear there will be many more to come , so no , I am not worried about going out if case the police are called out , my reasons are simply to help in any way to get this disaster over as soon as possible .

24 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I believe the vast majority of members have got other reasons  than because the police might get them , what a strange statement to make .

To begin with , I along with many others don't get calls from farmers that are worried about pigeons on fresh drill , maybe they know they are not doing that much harm and while everyone else is also drilling they will be off in a matter of days .

You are not allowed to drive out and look for the pigeons like you would normally do as that wouldn't be classed as essential , and that ruling apply to everyone .

As I shoot pigeons for the sport and enjoyment , then that would rule that out as you can no longer shoot Pigeons purely for the sport .

I have never wasted Pigeons before lock down and I am not likely to get around the current regulations in order to shoot pigeons and then haven't got any outlet to off load them , Going back to forums one of the top , if not the top pigeon shooter ( PC ) , when asked what he would do if he couldn't move the dead pigeons on was , Stop Shooting Them , simple answer without beating about the bush

No doubt if your wild fowling club have got land to shoot pigeons on they like ours would have stopped all shooting for the foreseeable future in order to comply with the guidelines and no doubt for moral reasons as well .

Once or twice the G L events from last year was brought into play , with what went on last year compared with what is going on today is a million miles away , some peoples lives have already changed for ever and I fear there will be many more to come , so no , I am not worried about going out if case the police are called out , my reasons are simply to help in any way to get this disaster over as soon as possible .

Each person has to decide for themselves whether they want to go if they get a call. Some shooters are stating that their police regions have no objections if criteria is met, so there we go. 
If you don’t want to go then fair enough, but It’s not for you or others to tell anyone what they can or can’t do. 

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Stay at home

:good:Spot on.

19 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I think the Government can.

Yes, they can. Wouldn’t it be good if we all just left it to them? As far as I’m aware going out shooting isn’t illegal yet. That time may come, one way or another, but it hasn’t yet. 

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Stay at home

I totally see where you're coming from, Steve. However, I still have issues with some things. Since when has an hour of exercise a day been essential?  I have seen far more walkers and cyclists around than normal. Are they only going out for an hour a day? I would also wager that there are very few people that have only left their house for truly essential reasons. 

I get why many are staying home, but is everyone following the guidance to the letter?

If every pigeon shooter was out this weekend, I don't think anyone would really pay much attention. 

Edited by motty

13 hours ago, motty said:

Sorry to say, but posts like this only go to serve the arguments of WJ and the like. 

Why are we allowed to control pigeons, again?

Can you explain to me how a question is playing into the hands of WJ?