ARC Welder Question

CZ550Kevlar

I have a NEILSEN CT2228 ARC welding machine. it`s cheap and simple but has served me well.... problem is i lent it to my Dad for him to do some welding and i`ve just got it back from him and he has over adjusted the AMP dial, it was set to exactly the right ampage for the rods i gave him but either him or someone has dialled it right up off the scale and now hen i try and reduce the ampage the little marker ontop doesn't move and it seems stuck on mental arc power and now cuts rather than welds.

Anyone got any clues how i can rescue it??

Wind it down as low as it will go, see where the indicator sits. If it's out move until it sits on 55 amps. That's if the amps have gone down.

Also every packet of rods has its amperage to weld on it, pick somewhere in the middle and try it.

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, it was usually low power turned wheel far left, will it turn both ways free ? while you have top off put some grease on the spindle, all these types do look very heath robinson but 1000s were used before the hobby migs came about,

hello,  just remembered i was given one by a traveling Blacksmith on his barge boat, nice little 90 amp jobby, fixed my sons patio chairs and left in his shed, 

6 minutes ago, CZ550Kevlar said:

ok, i would it right down and the flag had moved along the metal arm, it now seems to line up on 55amps with it turned right down, just need to give it a try.

Thankyou for all your helps guys.

hello, sounds good, what size are your most used welding rods ?

17 minutes ago, CZ550Kevlar said:

Yep and not lend it out. For some reason my Dad decided that the setting i had left it on wasn`t right and wanted more amps and it didn`t weld it just started acting like a cutting torch.

hello, just like the steel cutting arc rods i used in the past , i have taught quite a few people how to weld with arc and mig,  with the arc welding i use to put the amps slightly higher to get the flow and stop rod sticking, once they made a reasonable bead i reduced the amps to get a good bead and penetration, sizes of rods were in SWG back then, the main thing was using a good Mask and the right EW shade lenses plus an anti spatter on front