Mountfield Lawn Mower Help

billytheghillie

Just done mine this evening on our mountfield  theres a plastic tray on the underside ,have to take the blade off then unscrew the plastic tray the release the screws around the motor casing so that if moves back and forth then thread the belt around the motor first then the blade pulley which is very tight but do able, hope this helps atb

1 hour ago, picardy said:

Just done mine this evening on our mountfield  theres a plastic tray on the underside ,have to take the blade off then unscrew the plastic tray the release the screws around the motor casing so that if moves back and forth then thread the belt around the motor first then the blade pulley which is very tight but do able, hope this helps atb

Use a smooth sided screwdriver to pry it around the pulley. Also, if its the same as my husqvarna, release the 'self-propelled' handle to release the belt tension. 

22 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

First thing to do which nobody's said yet and is most crucial -  pull the hte lead off the spark plug! 

You are correct, 1st thing that I done. Now the 64 million $ question , where can I get a belt at this current time?

2 hours ago, picardy said:

Many thanks for that.

On checking the broken belt, it looked as if it hadn't snapped. On removing blade and cover for motor housing, along with some grass out came parts of my camo hide net!  I suspect mice have been nesting in there and gnawed through my belt.

P.S> when replacing blade, what torque setting do I use?  Thanks.

Tight. 😅

Dusting off copper grease on the bolt end and hold one side of the blade and ratchet with the other hand. You could make a block to wedge in there, i can never be *****.

I hit rocks and **** all the time due to my work and I've not had a blade come loose yet 

Edited by strimmer_13

9 times out of 10 with our Hondas, when we lose drive its as you say, the belt rarely snaps it usually slips off, then you lose drive. Also dried grass and mud in the casing will clog it up, again pushing the belt. 

Sometimes the belt will stretch, but that's usually after we put about a year or 2 of hard graft through it 

Just a update, received belt this morning ( Saturday) it came from  Armagh which I believe is Ireland, excellent service and price from supplier (Thanks Strimmer-13 for link ). Was expecting to get big hammer out and a few choice swear words but nope, thanks to Picardys  tip about the engine mounting bolts it went on a dream. All in all it cost me £6.95 and about 15 mins work. Once again thanks to the P.W. mass for their help and knowledge. :good: