Oldest gun still used for hunting

washerboy

My most modern air gun is the one I generally use for live quarry shooting. That is a HW77KMk.1 which I bought new in Jan. 1984 and had Venom tuned. 
But I occasionally stalk a bunny with my First Batch BSA Lincoln Jeffries from 1905.

Shotgun-wise, I shot some partridges and pheasants last season with a Dickson black powder hammer gun which left Dickson’s in 1865.

Mk1 77, classic I could have bought one recently but I didn't want the friend of mine to part with it so I lent him the money he needed. He was selling it at a silly price to pay towards a solicitor bill. 

I always wanted a theoben fenman, they looked wonderful in that strange named wood. I remember them being £403 new, crazy money at the time 

31 minutes ago, London Best said:

Steve Pope’s dad, Dave, and Ivan Hancock tuned my 77K. They were the original Venom Arms. 
It’s shot a dose of stuff over the years. Caught a Maggie offside behind my dog kennel only two days ago.

Money couldn’t buy it from me!

I had my hw95 done by Steve, just before he left. 

4 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Father's Webley Mk II .22 which he bought new in about 1931 is still in use. Also have a battered BSA Lincoln Jeffreys patent .177 which dates back to his childhood in the 20s which comes out occasionally. They still do the job.

Neither is for sale so please do not enquire.

I love the pre-war BSA’s. I have eleven of them if you count the one breakdown pattern. Believe it or not, they are all different to each other.

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

LB, my old BSA has a straight hand and is number 3675. Can you put a date on it please ? Unlike my old "guvnor's" Webley it has just been around in the family seemingly forever.

Pushandpull,

Assuming there is no S prefix to the serial number, 3675 was manufactured in Feb/March 1906 and despatched from BSA some time between Feb1906/August 1907, making it a ‘second batch’ gun. Does it still have the long tang trigger guard? Some time during that batch the improved cast trigger guard with small diameter rear locating peg was introduced.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

That is spot on - long tang and all. It's a battered old thing but of great sentimental value. It reminds me of the horny-handed old great uncles who made me my first catapult and who turned me loose with this gun when I was about 8. It must have been handled, too, by the ones who I never knew whose bones are scattered from the Somme to Coromandel.

Many thanks Sir.

20 hours ago, 1066 said:

Regularly use my old 1965 BSA Airsporter I've had from new - also got a couple of 1920's "L" BSA pattern underleavers for plinking.

I have a 1965 Mk.2 Airsporter which a friend bought new when we left school. About twenty years ago he gave it to me with the remains of the original tin of 500 pellets. It has still not fired them all. It is the newest of my collection of BSA’s, spanning sixty years from 1905 to 1965. I don’t want any later ones as the quality plummeted after the Mk.2.