Oldest gun still used for hunting

washerboy

Hunting with a pre war Bsa, is airgun shooting for the purist. They are beautiful rifles. If you can stalk rabbits down a hedgerow with a Lincoln Jeffries - you can probably stalk anything 😊

There was a time in my life, my thoughts almost entirely revolved round these fine old rifles......they weren't wasted years 😊

Edited by morgan

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Brilliant, thank you

Haenels are very underrated as a game getter .

Please let us know how you get on ( assuming it's new spring and seals needed ?)

My contribution to this thread , which I forgot to put in is a BSF B55 from 1977

Edited by Gameking

On 03/04/2020 at 10:38, Gameking said:

Haenels are very underrated as a game getter .

Please let us know how you get on ( assuming it's new spring and seals needed ?)

My contribution to this thread , which I forgot to put in is a BSF B55 from 1977

I've ordered the parts I need, some are no longer available or are no longer manufactured and they're certainly more than the gun cost new. What's not available I'm having to make do and mend.

I have hunted with my CZ Slavia 630 before.  The breech was so worn in 1988 when I bought it that you could deform pellets by loading them at an angle.  The sights never quite lined up, but I learned to aim off slightly.  The finish made it look like a skip diver had rejected it.  Lord knows how old it is.  I shot that extremely well for years.  I rebuilt it a few years back and couldn't shoot it the way that I could when I did nothing else but shoot for six weeks school holidays, and for hours after getting home at 3.30 with hours of daylight.  Funny that!

I bought a new CZ Slavia 634 which I tuned, and now go out with that or my HW97K tuned by Venom with the single stage match trigger.   The CZ is far easier on the back.   

On 02/04/2020 at 15:36, morgan said:

Hunting with a pre war Bsa, is airgun shooting for the purist. They are beautiful rifles. If you can stalk rabbits down a hedgerow with a Lincoln Jeffries - you can probably stalk anything 😊

There was a time in my life, my thoughts almost entirely revolved round these fine old rifles......they weren't wasted years 😊

Reading the post I was wondering if anyone would mention a Lincoln Jeffries ? An old friend  who is now sadly  no longer with us had a beauty that was little used. I have  no idea whatever happened with it.

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

See my post num 5.

Apologies for missing that LB. 

I would think that they are rare as hens teeth now and would be a sought after gun ? As I remember my friend did not use his and it  was part of a larger collection. I never shot it, it was just for looking at if you know what I mean.

I have an old springer up in the loft I will have to dig out, it has been up there for best part of 20 years, think it is an old cheap Webley but I could be wrong as it was given to me by a mate. I may dig it out and give it some TLC.

atb

7diaw

I’ve hunted with the BSF S54 underlever (hideously  nose heavy) back in the late 70’s early 80’s, even then they were a bit long in the tooth but it got the job done, fetched me many a careless mallard off ponds in the very early hours. 

1 hour ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Apologies for missing that LB. 

I would think that they are rare as hens teeth now and would be a sought after gun ? As I remember my friend did not use his and it  was part of a larger collection. I never shot it, it was just for looking at if you know what I mean.

atb

7diaw

I spent years looking for an early BSA with little luck, until I met the right people through joining a bell target club. Several members were serious (international) collectors who knew where to look.  
I now have eleven pre-war BSA’s, all different models, costing me from £50 to £450.  
I use them all occasionally.

Edited by London Best

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I spent years looking for an early BSA with little luck, until I met the right people through joining a bell target club. Several members were serious (international) collectors who knew where to look.  
I now have eleven pre-war BSA’s, all different models, costing me from £50 to £450.  
I use them all occasionally.

Good man.

No use in having a Van Gogh and not looking at it!