Made to feel old at work

Agriv8

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

My business partner is 18 months older than me, at 36 she’s (by far) the oldest in our office of 7. I’ve been bullying her about her old age for the last decade. 

Similar here, a good friend of mine when we met 31 years ago assumed he was the youngest on the team we were on and ridiculed us older ones about it for months, it turns out I was 2 weeks younger than him so it's been played back every birthday now for 31 years :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was walking through the centre of Swansea in the afternoon with a mate, I think around 97 or so. And coming the other way was a group of girls probably aged in about their early 20s. And we all just walked past each other. Then after we'd gone a few yards, my mate says 'Do you know, that's the part that really hurts. It's not that they check you out and don't like you - they don't even notice you! It's like you don't exist." And, yes he was right.

There are others, but that's one of the stepping stones downwards...

Edited by Retsdon

34 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I was walking through the centre of Swansea in the afternoon with a mate, I think around 97 or so. And coming the other way was a group of girls probably aged in about their early 20s. And we all just walked past each other. Then after we'd gone a few yards, my mate says 'Do you know, that's the part that really hurts. It's not that they check you out and don't like you - they don't even notice you! It's like you don't exist." And, yes he was right.

A few years ago I joined a running club at work. Overheard two girls (fellow runners) talking about me. It went along the lines of “he’s not too bad for a really old bloke”. I think I was 47 at the time. At least they noticed me. 

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

For some of us, the fat ugly ones, it was always like that!

about 15 years ago I remarked to one of the girls in the office who was busy typing on a pc linked to a laser jet  printer- 'you know I used to have to find a spare type writer then type it out in triplicate with carbon paper'?.

Her response-'Whats carbon paper?'.

I was about 33 at the time.

f.

I’m 38 

I look in the mirror and notice the greys are bunching together but I’m not my dad, my grandad possibly but I’d be proud to be my dad . My boy looks like me tho . 
My lads at work were born after I left school and Infact went to school with ones Mum and the others uncle as that’s how he got the job. 
My sister passed away 22 years ago and I look and realise I’ve been without her longer than I had her which is upsetting. 
My oldest has 2 years left in school 😮

my lads at work call me old 😂😂. How is 38 old ??? 
My mate said to me the other day “ you know we’re over halfway through our lives” funny I don’t worry about that . I just hope I don’t cause upset for those behind 

12 hours ago, Deker said:

Similar here, a good friend of mine when we met 31 years ago assumed he was the youngest on the team we were on and ridiculed us older ones about it for months, it turns out I was 2 weeks younger than him so it's been played back every birthday now for 31 years

I used to get Id’d in the clubs when I was 30 but my mates were 21 and walked in .

15 hours ago, ph5172 said:

I remember the year some of the people I work with were born. 

going out and being told (jokingly) you dress like a dad - then explaining you actually are, and also that you are legally old enough to be their dad

Better to ask to see a pic of their mum in case you are there dad. Soon shuts them up.

23 hours ago, amateur said:

That's the one!

and looking in the mirror and seeing your father

This one ! 

on the plus side  I was talking to a chap and his Mrs  on  Monday  about social distancing  and he said it's alright for you it's us old uns that's got to be careful ! I asked how old they thought I was and was pleased when his wife said 63 ,  they where gob smacked when I told em  I would be 72 this year , he is 3yrs younger than me !

Edited by derbyduck

I remember whilst still working getting a puzzled look from a younger staff member when I happen to mention that I used to listen to the hit parade on the wireless.

She didn't have a clue what I was talking about :no:

Mind you, there's probably a few on here don't either .......... and many many more who do :whistling:

Just waiting now for Tightchoke to come in with "Yea, my Grandad told me about that" :yahoo: Come on Dave, your comments please.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

37 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I remember whilst still working getting a puzzled look from a younger staff member when I happen to mention that I used to listen to the hit parade on the wireless.

She didn't have a clue what I was talking about 

Mind you, there's probably a few on here don't either .......... and many many more who do 

Just waiting now for Tightchoke to come in with "Yea, my Grandad told me about that" :yahoo: Come on Dave, your comments please.

OB

This is turning in to a great thread. I used to record the chart show on Sunday evenings on to a reel to reel recorder with 8" reels!:w00t:

It is good that across this fine forum there are lots of different ages, actual and mental!:rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

There was a question on University Challenge around 6 weeks ago about early computing ..

The answer was 'a Commodore 64' …. but they all looked at each other clueless.

I love those moments! The days of BBC B, ZX81, and Commodore 64 and the birth of Amstrad!!!!!!:lol:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

39 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I remember whilst still working getting a puzzled look from a younger staff member when I happen to mention that I used to listen to the hit parade on the wireless

As opposed to when, a few years ago, Wifi became popular. A lot of the younger techies charged with installing the new generation of routers got confused looks from the elder generation, when they started talking about 'wireless' connections.  No I'm not suggesting you can listen to the Goon Show on the Light Programme, I'm trying to make sure you can use your laptop in the lounge to do your banking.